Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics

nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Please elaborate on the graphics. Recently I jumped into LORTO, high texture but it still seemed very low poly. I think the best graphics I have seen would be in FFXIV. There was good density in the trees and grass, they did not seem like papper thin. Even the character model, they seem really smooth very high poly and looked nice. I'm running core i7 GTX 480 4GB ram. Any idea how Tera Vs. FFXIV graphics are?

Comments

• AnimeiAnimei Member Posts: 13

It's very easy to pick up Tera Online and learn it; the gameplay isn't that hard and it will be a nice change for those of you who are looking to get away from your average point and click MMORPG's. There are a lot of monsters to kill and you won't find yourself grinding or questing in the same area for more than two or three levels. But if you want to level up efficiently, it's essential you find a good grinding spot with a repeatable quest. All the keys, commands, menus, hot bars, and such can all be rebounded to a different key. If you don't like moving around with the default WASD then you can switch it around to something else. If you don't like normal attacking with your left mouse button, then you can easily bind it to different key in the options menu or just move the normal attack skill to a different skill bar slot. You will find that most of the monsters graphics aren't recycled much, so you won't get bored fighting the same monster over and over. Even when they are recycled their textures are so different that you won't notice that they are the same monster until you see their actions.

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

Seeing as Animei didn't really hit the mark at all...

Speaking as a game artist, I'm very interested in playing Tera. From the look of the screenshots we've been given, character models appear to be around the 8k Triangle mark (4000 quads, for you purists) with gratuitous normal mapping within a solid engine, which gives these fantastic feelings of depth and detail.

Straight up modeling-wise, Tera doesn't look TOO out of the ordinary in terms of next-gen graphical development, but their engine seems remarkably adept at processing normal and bump maps. This, combined with a succesful re-assigning of polygon normals, witlll give better graphics than most game currently out. I say most simply because there will always be people disagreeing with everyone regarding the best game graphics.

From a technical standpoint, however, I think that Tera appears to be slightly above FFXIV in terms of polycount / rendering abilities. All that's left to see now is how well the lighting system works.

Like I told my boss: you can have the absolute worst model in the world, but with the proper lighting it'll look photoreal and therefore perfect.

Combine a good lighting system with the already competent Tera engine and we might have a serious beast of a graphical display on our hands.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,516

view and ask questions from someone that is playing:  http://www.justin.tv/jvalen85#/w/1032744848/4

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...