Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who likes to rent their playtime ?

Co2oCo2o Member Posts: 40

With the advance of new online games that don't charge monthly fees and use a more traditional business model to make a profit, how many of you likes to rent their playtime ?

Comments

• carebearcarebear Member Posts: 188
    I don't understand what you mean by "rent my playtime"

Carebear
    *WoW = Level 60 Priest*
    *EQ2 = Level 25 Druid*

• terstaxterstax Member Posts: 353

Ahh, a new way of restating the classic threads "Guild Wars is not an MMORPG!" and the always popular "Guild Wars vs WOW." So let me get this straight. It's better to pay than not?

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

Depends entirely on what I'm paying or not paying for. No way in hell would I pay a monthly fee to play GW. It just doesn't have the depth or content to warrant a subscription. However more traditional MMORPGs I have no problem paying for. As the saying goes; You get what you pay for.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by Kunou
    Depends entirely on what I'm paying or not paying for. No way in hell would I pay a monthly fee to play GW. It just doesn't have the depth or content to warrant a subscription. However more traditional MMORPGs I have no problem paying for. As the saying goes; You get what you pay for.

Well said.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

What kind of TV to you prefer?

image image

Originally posted by n2sooners
    What kind of TV to you prefer?

Exceptional rebuttal.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    Rabit ears isn't free in the UK.  You pay a tax every year if you even own a TV.  So poor British bastards always have to pay. 
  • fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

i like to golf free too but my yard is small and has too long grass and has no holes.

friggin 30 bucks for a round at the course when i can hit a ball agaisnt my fence?!?! no way d00d

• bobblerbobbler Member UncommonPosts: 810

Originally posted by ianubisi
    Originally posted by Kunou

Well said.

*makes a sucking noise*

• natasnatas Member Posts: 135
    image image

Mooooo™

Originally posted by bobbler
    *makes a sucking noise*

That the sound of your brain leaking out of your ears?

• Wind_angelWind_angel Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by Co2o

With the advance of new online games that don't charge monthly fees and use a more traditional business model to make a profit, how many of you likes to rent their playtime ?

I think what he means is instead of paying monthly to play... We just have to rent the playing hours in an internet cafe...image I think I was lost in there...image

Hurry up.... Clock is ticking

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

I believe he means you pay for, say, 48 hours of in-game time. Once you use it up, you have to buy it again to play, instead of monthly fees where everyone is charged the same no matter how many hours you play.

• bobblerbobbler Member UncommonPosts: 810

Originally posted by ianubisi
    *makes a sucking noise*

That the sound of your brain leaking out of your ears?

it was the sound of you leeching to Kunou >_> also when something is leaking out of a hole it doesnt make a sucking noise >_>

• Co2oCo2o Member Posts: 40

I bought Starcraft in 1998 for about 50$. I never bought any expansions or paid more for it. I'm still playing it online and I really enjoy it. It's still much better than the MMORPG I played recently.

The fact is that pay-to-play MMORPGs are better than free ones.
    It seems more like an opinion to me and I don't see any arguments that supports it.

It would be nice to have a study asking gamers how much fun they are getting for their money. It might be something like (fun playtime hours) / (playtime cost). I'm pretty sure that pay-to-play games wouldn't rank that high. It might be hard to do such a thing though ::::29::.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

For 1 night at the theatre I pay $11.50 for a ticket , $4.50 for a Diet Soda and perhaps another $5.00 for treats if I should be so inclined. Besides the fact that my boyfriend is a stingy sob, I have a relatively good time with the 2 hours of entertainment which cost me $21.00 (thats 10.50 an hour if your counting ) and life goes on.
    For 1 MMO with the first 30 day's free I pay an average of $59.95 and have access for an entire month. There is an average of 720 hours in a month, break that down and that's a tad bit over $0.08 per hour to have access to entertainment whenever I wish. Once I'm done with my first 30 days and if I wish to continue to play the MMO I can do so by "renting" my play time for usually a cost of about $14.95 per month, if I use the same break down as above at 720 hours, it works out to the smoldering price of just slightly over $0.02 per hour for access almost anytime I want.
    Add to this that an MMO is an ever persistant world, changing and being updated, most of the time to make my experience better and one that I get to interact with, with some (if not minimal) amount of customer service to back up.
    Now... do I mind renting my playtime, absolutely not one bit, the only complaint I have is a cheap ass boyfriend... :)

it was the sound of you leeching to Kunou >_> also when something is leaking out of a hole it doesnt make a sucking noise >_>

So your point is to abuse me because I suggest Kunou makes a good point?

You, sir, are a twisted individual.

Originally posted by shae

Now... do I mind renting my playtime, absolutely not one bit, the only complaint I have is a cheap ass boyfriend... :)

More easily replaced than a good MMOG, if you ask me.

• GrouchoGroucho Member Posts: 100
    I don't know why people are so up in arms over $15/month (the typical price for an MMORPG).  I paid 10x that much for dinner last night.

Originally posted by Groucho
    I don't know why people are so up in arms over $15/month (the typical price for an MMORPG). I paid 10x that much for dinner last night.

The typical person complaining of this are the children who can't convince their parents to pay for it, and are far too lazy to consider getting a job to pay for the paltry sum.

Certainly there are others who are taking a stand on principle, but I suspect they are in the stark minority.

Anarchy Online is now free to play. Does it mean it suddenly turns into a bad MMORPG ?

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by rentantilus

I bought Starcraft in 1998 for about 50$. I never bought any expansions or paid more for it. I'm still playing it online and I really enjoy it. It's still much better than the MMORPG I played recently.

Don't change your argument halfway through the conversation buddy. Starcraft is not a persistent world MMORPG that requires constant developer, manager, and technical upkeep, so it requires no additional employee hours once it ships (and is properly patched).

The fact is that pay-to-play MMORPGs are better than free ones.

It seems more like an opinion to me and I don't see any arguments that supports it.
    [/b][/quote]

Here's my argument to support that statement: You name one free MMORPG and I'll name ten pay-to-play MMORPGs that are higher rated, have more players, and have been around longer than it.

Actually you only went halfway :)

Starcraft isn't hosted on a server that handles thousands of simultaneous players.  It's hosted on your PC and your friend's PC and is played between a max of 2-4 players (I think?  I don't remember exactly how many people can be in a single StarCraft game no more than 8 though).

As to which are better?  I have yet to play a free MMORPG that is worth a damn other than player shards of UO, which are technically illegal (and, lets face it, that tech is so old it's getting painful to look at those graphics). 

The bottom line is that there has yet to be a successful FREE MMO, I'm not counting GuildWars yet because it's barely on the market.  And I'm not entirely sure I understand their market strategy yet.  How do they plan to pay for ongoing costs?  Box sales aren't going to cut it.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Anarchy Online is now free to play. Does it mean it suddenly turns into a bad MMORPG ?

Anarchy online is only free to play if you play it without ANY of it's expansions.  By the way:  Anarchy Online ALWAYS sucked without it's expansions.  Shadowlands is what saved it from the crapper in the first place.

If you load/buy an expansion you get to pay the monthly fee to use it.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

I have to admit that Starcraft wasn't the best example. Let's take Neverwinter Nights. It has servers with lots of people. It has one of the best online community. It has modules that are permanent worlds. There is no subscription fees and it's a really good game.

I know, it doesn't have the massively side of the MMORPG but I'm wondering how many time do you play a MMORPG and there are actualy more than 100 persons (with or without lag?) at the same location to justify the "massively".

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

I have to admit that Starcraft wasn't the best example. Let's take Neverwinter Nights. It has servers with lots of people. It has one of the best online community. It has modules that are permanent worlds. There is no subscription fees and it's a really good game.
    I know, it doesn't have the massively side of the MMORPG but I'm wondering how many time do you play a MMORPG and there are actualy more than 100 persons (with or without lag?) at the same location to justify the "massively".

Sorry not going to work either.  NWN is not an mmorpg either.  At most you can have 64 people per module.  Further the worlds are much smaller. 

Second, each computer can act as a host.

Third, as for the dedicated server that Bioware has it is just one per platform. 

Fourth, outside of putting out a new game, they usually do not add content.  They do not maintain a world.  They do not need to provide in game support.  They do not need to have any people dedicated to billing.  They are not responsible for hacks, balance issues, or anything else.  All they have done is said here is this tiny crappy server.  If you want to host a game on it we will let you.

Compare that the larger servers where the game companies have to provide the content and support.  Have far more players using it.  They are the ones designing not just the structure of the game, but all of the content.  They have far more bandwidth going through those servers and have far more servers than NWM.