Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO genre state vs The consumer (you)

ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Im growing tired my friends. Tired of all the scamming that goes around, strolling freely, unchecked, dancing slowly around our wallets, and i dont see anyone complaining. I mean, i know many of you get your games and monthly fees sponsored by your relatives, but surely many of you pay out from your hard days work the necessary money to continue to fund this "habit" we all, at some point on our lifes, begin to love and appreciate: the MMORPG world. And even those not directly paying for it can appreciate the meaning of these words...i hope.

Next follows an old post i saw somewhere, wich tittle and author i will not reveal. Pasting it as originally posted, except the names of the games that the author brings up. I dont care about flaming these games, but only to hopefully begin a subject that, in my opinion, holds the future for the genre, and its for me far more important than debating the next MMo that will come out.

This post sums up, not fully, but in a clear way, why we keep being bombarded by new games that always fail to meet our expectations, and why this is our fault, the consumer, the one that should be demanding, but the only thing that does is opening the wallet.

So...

"Anyone else tired of shelling out 50 bucks on a new game, getting home and finding out your playing a beta or the game is completely unplayable?  

There's a common trend by developers lately of taking advantage of thier customers, seems like everytime I buy a Computer game anymore I feel swindled.   The list of games is too numerous to count but I'll give a few examples, ---- didn't even have multiplayer working whenI purchased it worked on very few to no systems how does a game completely made on multiplayer even get released like that.  ---- which I've been looking forward to for years comes out and even tho I'm well above the system requirements flickers so bad it's unplayable and this phenomenon happens on all but few lucky configurations.   Even if they tested the game on two different rigs the problems would have been known... so why is it on the store shelves waiting for me to buy it.

Most MMO's come in VERY unfinished states, look at ----, it didn't even have the features implimented in the game at release that was mentioned ON THE BOX..that's called Fraud, it's dishonest and illegal so why not only are these practices allowed but COMMON PLACE. 

Because there is nothing we can do about it, if you try to take a game back that is obviously not working or renegs on it's promises of features you will just be told that the store does not accept such items back.    If a company has insecure billing and doesn't own up to it's actions like ---- what can you do about it but cancel your credit card?

There is a huge breech of customer faith taking place on a daily basis in this industry and it needs to be stopped,  if a product is released unfinished and in a fraudulent state, then it should at the VERY least be returnable. Companies getting all thier products shoved back in thier faces after a while would start to think twice about going for the quick release date and lying to thier community.

I for one am fracking sick of it and the only thing these people understand is money or the loss of it.

I understand why buisnesses do not allow computer game returns, it's protecton for Developers against piracy.. however I think the consumer base needs protection as well and obviously there are more victims on this side of the story."

Unbelievebly this post with years in existence had only 4 replies.

Are people so focused on finding the next new MMO that will fill their free times that they even forget that the reason why MMOs dont really make you happy, its because you didnt even bored to complain, demand and exercise your consumer rights over the last fraudulent MMO you bought, and eventually the developers are free to continue their assault on your wallets and continue to let us down, we, gamers and consumers.

Im not going to wave a flag here and rally people to a cause, maybe because i can be wrong about this, my opinion is just my opinion and i would like to know your opinions also, but rest assured that i believe that protecting our rights as consumers of these products, demanding finished products or our money back, will revitalize this industry, removing every developer that doesnt care about nothing but money and energizing the developer that is in this industry to make business but also cultivates the responsability of delivering a finished product to the paying customers.

Lets see if the state of the MMO genre and its future is more important to you than how many classes has in the next MMO you are following.

Please comment. Thank you.

Sorry for my English.

Comments

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

This is what happens when a player becomes so immersed in playing MMOs that it becomes a lifestyle choice.  These are games and they should be fun.  But they shouldn't control our deep emotions like this.

I am a consumer, a customer, a player and I refuse to be labeled as a victim in this industry.  We all make our choices. Spouting off in a forum saying they are not here to rally when the whole premise of the post is to rally is wrong.

I've liked all the MMO games I have purchased, whether I played for the free month only or for years.  I had fun playing them and that's all that matters to me.  

I don't make a big deal out of missing features because I bought the game knowing I was only going to play what they implmented.  It's the customers setting too high expectations of a dev studio that creates so much backlash when a certain feature isn't implemented at launch.  I've seen players come up with ideas they thought were going to be implemented when there was no post or notion a dev ever said that such a feature would be there.

If you want a particular vision of an MMORPG to come to life, then you will have to put forth the effort and time in making that a reality yourself.  Expecting a dev studio to do it for you is lazy.  Each game has started with a vision and almost never comes out the as the same vision by release.  Things change, ideas are rejected, bad ideas are adopted.

Labeling yourself as a victim in this industry is just plain wrong.  As the companies are driven by their research and vision of game that should be fun to play.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

The MMO genre has been ruined by the PUBLISHERs who don't know programming, or how to make a fun game. The PUBLISHER, or the person PAYING for development, meddles too much in development. The PUBLISHERS are only there to make money, and NOT a fun game.

The problem is, a Fun Game == Money, but they don't understand that. So what ends up happening? We get clone, after clone, after clone, after CLONE of "popular" games trying to get a piece of the proverbial pie. The DIRE problem, is that if we wanted to play THAT game that is being cloned, we won't play the clone, we'll play the original.

WE the CONSUMERS want variety, we want innovation, we WANT less grind...less handholding...a NORMAL monthly subscription so EVERYONE is on the same playing field & not having to shell out $5 for that new gun/tank/ship/missile ETC ETC ETC.

Pollish comes AFTER a game launches, and expecting it @ launch means less content & less depth to the game. There still needs to be SOME Pollish , but if you concentrate on it wholeheartedly you end up with something that isn't fun, and has no content.

Companies now think that they can run out a quick game with linear-hand holding, copying everything verbatum that was done before, and think they can charge us $60 + microtransactions, and MAYBE even a monthly subscription (EQII anyone?). The issue here, is most people are ignorant & don't realize this is happening. These companies continue to make money because people go "Oh hey, i don't know what it'll be like regardless of all the videos, descriptions from the devs, and closed/open beta testing, I'll give them my money so I can try it at launch!" without realizing from Open Beta to Launch......almost NOTHING will change.

STOP GIVING CRAP PUBLISHERS MONEY, NOTHING WILL CHANGE UNLESS WE STOP GIVING THEM MONEY FOR CRAP PRODUCTS.

EA Anyone? Activision Anyone? HELLO?

-___-

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I dont like the current core focus of the mmorpgs coming out recently. 

As for the sad state, Ill focus on the problems I had that were not the actual core game~

Well I thought APB was fun except for the part where it started getting hacked~

I thought FF14 was a complete and total failure in terms of controls and playability~

I thought Rift was quite well done but I found the core to be the main problem for me so...This one gets a good thumbs up state!

Umm..Champions Online, was well polished.  The lack of content was very annoying un!

DCUO was...I have no lasting feelings for this game.  Im not even sure why Im not logging in anymore..Ill try that and edit this post after playing it more. Prolly because I was playing this game with my girlfriend when we broke up o.O

I actually voiced my complaints in the forums as long as my main problem with the game is a feasible complaint.

I complained about the lack of content to test your customized character in Champions Online, I complained about DCUO feeling dead and the interface being so-so.  I complained about being completely unsatisfied with FF14 controls, playability, levequests, mage classes, and the fact that the world feels very dead and stagnant.  I complained about APB running out of content when the initial fun wears off or when the matching system matches very good players vs very bad players, and the fact that there are wallhacks and things like that.

But even with the complaining, I still make sure to be mindful to make sure that the things I point out are just plain bad and can not be seen as good by people. I think its very important for the devs to know why youre leaving in a clear way.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I never pre-order,  I never get the special edtion and I never get an mmo unless I can do a free trial first. Works great for me. Saves a lot of money and wasted time.

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by Paradigm68

I never pre-order,  I never get the special edtion and I never get an mmo unless I can do a free trial first. Works great for me. Saves a lot of money and wasted time.

THIS!!!  I'll probably make an exception for GW2 but, this works for me.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Caskio

This is what happens when a player -snip... see above...

Have to agree, for the most part.  For one, things used to be WORSE in terms of system compatibility.  Anybody remember the DOS days?  The stack of boot disks for different memory configs?  The tiny list of supported game controllers?

The only thing I see as a scam these days are the copy protection schemes that require special hardware drivers, or for you to be ONLINE to play a single player game.  Those are things that I think should go, and I make my feelings known by not buying from companies like UBIsoft.

The rest becomes my burden to determine what games I'll enjoy or not.  If I don't know much about a game, I won't pay $60 for it.  Nowadays there's enough material online to make a good determination. 

The only game I bought and hated was a game called "Corvette" back in the early 90's.  Again, back before we lacked the tools to be informed consumers.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I'll preorder, but only if I got to play it first.  And for a significant amount of time.

Agreed on "Special Editions".  I have yet to see one that's worth the extra money.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

I would rather pay $50 for a buggy unfinished MMOG than I would a highly polished $50 single player game that has 5 hours of content.

I also find these assumptions you made to be incorrect:

1. "Developers are taking advantage of customers" - Its easy to characterize developers as some heartless suits that live with the singular goal of extracting money from your bank account. In reality its just regular people trying to get their bills paid and kids put through school that have to work within the constraints of a budget both at home and at work.

2. "there is nothing we can do about it" - Don't buy it. Wait for a review first. Try it while its in open beta. There is plenty you can do about it!

3. "the consumer base needs protection" - You already have it. Its that lump that resides between your ears. Throughout time there have been all manner of snake-oil salesman. Also throughout time there has been a majority of the population that is smart enough not to buy the snake-oil.

4. "MMOs dont really make you happy" - Simply not true or we wouldn't be here.

You sound like a very demanding person with a strong sense of entitlement. I would suggest that you quit blaming others for your mistakes and take responsibility for purchasing decisions. You should be thankful that we have the internet that makes researching our purchases so easy.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by Aganazer

I would rather pay $50 for a buggy unfinished MMOG than I would a highly polished $50 single player game that has 5 hours of content.

1. "Developers are taking advantage of customers" - Its easy to characterize developers as some heartless suits that live with the singular goal of extracting money from your bank account. In reality its just regular people trying to get their bills paid and kids put through school that have to work within the constraints of a budget both at home and at work.

2. "there is nothing we can do about it" - Don't buy it. Wait for a review first. Try it while its in open beta. There is plenty you can do about it!

3. "the consumer base needs protection" - You already have it. Its that lump that resides between your ears. Throughout time there have been all manner of snake-oil salesman. Also throughout time there has been a majority of the population that is smart enough not to buy the snake-oil.

You sound like a very demanding person with a strong sense of entitlement. I would suggest that you quit blaming others for your mistakes and take responsibility for purchasing decisions. You should be thankful that we have the internet that makes researching our purchases so easy.

1- In a capitalist system, everyone is taking advantage of somebody.  You think those 6 year-olds making your pants in sweat shops are not being exploited by you?

2- Only works when people get together, a bunch of individuals are easy to manipulate into buying something.  People need to get together inorder to have a real boycott.

3- BS, we are social animals and are therefor easily manipulated by marketing.  The reason there have been con-men forever is because 85% of people can be manipulated.  So yes, when 85% of the people can be manipulated into buying crappy games or in a more serious note supportting genocide (Hitler was a good con-man), the people need protection.

4- Lies, I am here and all MMORPGs made today make me sick.  Ofcourse I am not buying any, but I am here on this forum.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

1- In a capitalist system, everyone is taking advantage of somebody.  You think those 6 year-olds making your pants in sweat shops are not being exploited by you?

2- Only works when people get together, a bunch of individuals are easy to manipulate into buying something.  People need to get together inorder to have a real boycott.

3- BS, we are social animals and are therefor easily manipulated by marketing.  The reason there have been con-men forever is because 85% of people can be manipulated.  So yes, when 85% of the people can be manipulated into buying crappy games or in a more serious note supportting genocide (Hitler was a good con-man), the people need protection.

4- Lies, I am here and all MMORPGs made today make me sick.  Ofcourse I am not buying any, but I am here on this forum.

Not everyone is you, 'Pysco'

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

So im a demanding person for wanting a finished product, in this particular case a game, when i go buy it? Im very demanding because when i exchange my money for a game, and find that the game is unfinished or not functioning properly, theres no policy that protects my purchase? I really hope you dont follow those guidelines when you are buying a house or a car or anyother product. Or maybe you do and you are ok with that, well my friend, im not.

Wait for a review? Yes, we all know that reviews tend to be accurate, in fact, reviewers even bother to play end game content just to make sure all its working.

Also the assumptions were made by the original poster, but happens that i agree with them. That doesnt make me right ofc. But ill take the time if u allow me:

1. Every man and woman with a honest job is trying to get their bills paid and kids put through school. Im trying it. I need money to pay my house and my car, food, etc, but that doesnt give me the right to go open a TV repair shop and lie to people about the repair bill and the parts it took to fix the damn thing just because i need money, what do you think?

2. wait for a review? You must be joking or you only visit 1 place that does reviews. Arent reviews subjected to the reviewer own taste? Do reviewers play end game content? Oh you mean the re-reviews?

3.. I have to agree with you here. I bought the snake-oil, i got fooled and lied to, the justice says "you a damn fool boy. Dumb as a rock. its your fault. In fact we gonna reward the snake-oil seller because he proved to be smart in the art of fraude." Maybe he has a job waiting for him. I really hope its your job or that of someone next to you. Maybe you will wise up.

4. What original poster tried to say is, that the base of our happiness does not have its foundation set in these games, if they do to you then something wrong with your life. For me its all about my relatives, my children well being, fresh air...now that makes me happy...games i like yes...but they are a hobby :)

Me, im just a guy wanting to get my moneys worth when i do a purchase. Thank you

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

1. My pants aren't only made by six year olds, they are made from 100% six-year old hides. Badass pants.

2. The only time in my life that I have a problem NOT buying something is when I am at a strip club. I am glad they weren't selling MMOG's at the club last night!

3. 85% eh? Nice... Wanna buy a bridge? Message me plz.

4. I am a bit speechless. I supose you're right. Haters gonna hate.

Originally posted by Clerigo

I really hope you dont follow those guidelines when you are buying a house or a car or anyother product. Or maybe you do and you are ok with that, well my friend, im not.

I AM okay with that. This is why I paid $320 to a house inspector before buying the house I live in. This is why I brought my mechanic friend with me to buy a car. This is why I download OPEN BETAS, TRIALS, and DEMOS before buying a game.

Do you buy books based on the cover art and then complain about the quality of the writing? Do you buy music based on the name of the album and then complain that you don't like the music?

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Aganazer's post pretty much summed things up.

Even shorter version of Aganazer's post:  Think.  And use MMORPG trials.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Every MMO I've bought except for one, I've enjoyed enough to play past the first month.   Everyone MMO but one that I have paid for, I have gone back to at some later point to enjoy again.

SWG.  WoW. GW. Warhammer. LOTRO.   All these games, I felt I got my money worth.  I wouldn't complain about paying for beta for any of these.  I try to learn as much as I can about a mmo or play it.

The one game I did not stickaround even the full month for, was Age of Conan.  1-20 was just so much fun.  And then the game died.  IT was barren.  The quests, mobs, zones, skills, abilities.  Bad and bugged.  It just wasn't fun.  The 100 people per "shard" for that zone was terrible.   But how were we supposed to know that when they made 1-20 so much better then the rest of the game?  I never even returned again to try it out, it just was that much of a put off.

People should do a little research about their games.  If they are so afraid to waste their money (or whoever is paying for it), wait until the game has been out a few weeks to buy it.  It really feels like some people put too much emotional investment into a game before they know about it, be it good or bad emotional investment.  Some people praise games they know nothing about, while others bash it because it's "cool" too, or because they think they don't like it.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Don't believe anyone on this site.

There is most definitely things you can do about it. More than you realize. Some very simple. 99.9% of the time you can get full refunds. It's not your responsibility to research a game to make sure it's advertising is true or if it's finished. May save you some trouble, but it doesnt make you fucking helpless if you don't. It's just not worth the time for most, but you have the power.

It's not just mmo's. Its all video games. Hell you're lucky to get unfinished game you like. Most just plain suck.

These guys got rich instead of revenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGHEhKo5Ils

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Well, either you can play WOW ... very polished, almost problem free game, or you can go for the F2P games, or the ones with a free trial.

I *never* buy a box MMO without at least a trial. F2P is the best though. Essentially you can play part of the game for free, and just hop onto another game if you exhaust the free content.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Exactly.  I won't play a game unless I can try it out first.  I couldn't care less about being "late to the game" or whatever, I never play beta, I play when I can test it and determine if it's worthwhile.  Most aren't.  Therefore, I don't waste my time or money paying for, or playing something that is pointless.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Ok just saying... If ff14 CE came with a chocobo or moogle doll or something cute like that, id have preordered.

if preordering/CE gets me something cute, im most likely buying it even if i hate the game

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**