Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sup

Yeah I'm terribad at titles.

Gaming rigs are expensive, and many people don't have the cash to buy new ones or even upgrade theirs when they become 'obsolete'.

So if you want a game that looks good on a wide variety of systems, and plays well... hence the art style of swtor.

How is story and endgame going to mesh? No idea. Done well > popular game. Done poorly > people leave in droves.

PvP? Haven't got a clue. cc dps classes will dominate rest will QQ for balance i guess.

{mod edit}

Never played SWG but from what I understand was despite the lack of direction, player interaction made the game great. will that happen in swtor? probably not. Vanilla wow was supposedly great because the placement of npcs for bg's paved way for mass battles between oppossing factions and despite the negative aspects of grinding their rewards made up for it. One can always hope they do the same in swtor.

Not sure why I wrote this, I assume like everyone else on the internet I'm under the illusion that my opinion matters. Any whoo I hope swtor turns out to be as awesome as kotor still is.

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by pistolier

Gaming rigs are expensive, and many people don't have the cash to buy new ones or even upgrade theirs when they become 'obsolete'.

So if you want a game that looks good on a wide variety of systems, and plays well... hence the art style of swtor.

How is story and endgame going to mesh? No idea. Done well > popular game. Done poorly > people leave in droves.

PvP? Haven't got a clue. cc dps classes will dominate rest will QQ for balance i guess.

{mod edit}

Never played SWG but from what I understand was despite the lack of direction, player interaction made the game great. will that happen in swtor? probably not. Vanilla wow was supposedly great because the placement of npcs for bg's paved way for mass battles between oppossing factions and despite the negative aspects of grinding their rewards made up for it. One can always hope they do the same in swtor.

Not sure why I wrote this, I assume like everyone else on the internet I'm under the illusion that my opinion matters. Any whoo I hope swtor turns out to be as awesome as kotor still is.

Well End game is down to PvP, raids, heroic dungeons and crafting. as pretty much all of these will give you end game gear, but i think the major focus of this game is infact the story so some people may play for that, just relplaying flashpoints to see it from different angels.

PvP can be hard to balance but each class has CC abilities in and of themselves, plus some classes can hide behind cover which requires people to move around to fire at as you can't fire through walls or rocks.

The community on the forums is a hard thing to judge community wise in games, take a look at this one right here? most of the time you get people debating back and forth and sometimes you get people stating their opinion is right when it's based on miss information.  As for the join date, that depends on if the person in question is stating their opinion as fact or if they are trolling or asking for things that are needed to be in game that aren't or hyping up another game in favor of that one.  All of these will make people look at a join date.  It's not really right persay but it happens,  you get all kinds of people on forums.  I've seen this on every game, but actual in game community is much different,  my advice is when the game lauches group with people and find a set of people you like to play with, form a guild or join theirs and play that way.  The community is really what you make of it, the forums are always going to be filled with people with trolls, fanbois, people trying to force their opinions on others, and people who think others are idiots if they like one game over the other.   IT's what happens when you get people that can say things with no reprocutions at all, swtor forum is no different then any forum i've been to.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by pistolier I assume like everyone else on the internet I'm under the illusion that my opinion matters.

Same illusion here. Anyway, not sure why you got banned exactly but game forums before launch pretty much sport a very specific kind of crowd with a fanboy density of over 9000. It's hard to draw realistic conclusions from that in regard to the actual playerbase at launch I guess.

In my case I fully intend to play Swtor and I am really hyped about it, but I can't be arsed to sign up on the Swtor forums at this time and join the speculation train / doomsday prediction machine / insanely elaborate suggestion threads, etc.

Most of the released information very quickly ends up here as well anyway (thanks to Whilan and some others :)

• pistolierpistolier Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by whilan

Community? From lurking the swtor.com forums after getting banned for stupid shit I did (totally worth it btw, swtor definately needs gnomes... and sex leg) I don't have high hopes, saw a fad going on there a while back with people talking down to people who joined the forums later than they did etc made me want to reach through my monitor and choke them irl. Ofc there will be good people but majority seem to be 'twats' which is a nicer way of saying they're a bunch of cunts.

Well End game is down to PvP, raids, heroic dungeons and crafting. as pretty much all of these will give you end game gear, but i think the major focus of this game is infact the story so some people may play for that, just relplaying flashpoints to see it from different angels.
    PvP can be hard to balance but each class has CC abilities in and of themselves, plus some classes can hide behind cover which requires people to move around to fire at as you can't fire through walls or rocks.
    The community on the forums is a hard thing to judge community wise in games, take a look at this one right here? most of the time you get people debating back and forth and sometimes you get people stating their opinion is right when it's based on miss information.  As for the join date, that depends on if the person in question is stating their opinion as fact or if they are trolling or asking for things that are needed to be in game that aren't or hyping up another game in favor of that one.  All of these will make people look at a join date.  It's not really right persay but it happens,  you get all kinds of people on forums.  I've seen this on every game, but actual in game community is much different,  my advice is when the game lauches group with people and find a set of people you like to play with, form a guild or join theirs and play that way.  The community is really what you make of it, the forums are always going to be filled with people with trolls, fanbois, people trying to force their opinions on others, and people who think others are idiots if they like one game over the other.   IT's what happens when you get people that can say things with no reprocutions at all, swtor forum is no different then any forum i've been to.

Nah they weren't trolling or stating opinions, they were proud of joining at a certain time before an influx of people joined. its the attitude they had that really gets to me. The community isn't bad here from what I've seen, but I don't spend all that much time so I can't venture an honest opinion.

Before I quit WoW (for good) all I did was gather, queue and wait for resets. Apart from that there wasn't anything going on. Sure I could do achievements, I could level yet another char to 85 and on and on but none of that was remotely fun or interesting.
    what I mean is with such a big world it's a shame that there wasn't anything going on other than grind gold, queue wait for resets, parked orgrimar doing nothing at all. no point to go anywhere, do anything other than what I've mentioned before.

Hopefully there will be 'community' activities which give variation to the wash rinse repeat that wow turned into.

@ darkpony I like your sig picture thingy man, seen it around and always think that its pretty gosh darn neat.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by pistolier I assume like everyone else on the internet I'm under the illusion that my opinion matters. 

Same illusion here. Anyway, not sure why you got banned exactly but game forums before launch pretty much sport a very specific kind of crowd with a fanboy density of over 9000. It's hard to draw realistic conclusions from that in regard to the actual playerbase at launch I guess.

In my case I fully intend to play Swtor and I am really hyped about it, but I can't be arsed to sign up on the Swtor forums at this time and join the speculation train / doomsday prediction machine / insanely elaborate suggestion threads, etc.

Most of the released information very quickly ends up here as well anyway (thanks to Whilan and some others :)

If his posts on the official SWTOR forums were anything like the Opening Post he has here, I can see exactly why he was banned.  Personally I think the reason would have been well justified too.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by DarkPony

If his posts on the official SWTOR forums were anything like the Opening Post he has here, I can see exactly why he was banned.  Personally I think the reason would have been well justified too.

This

im on official since almost a year, and never noticed mentioned type of  "eliticism ;)"

there is a lot of cross faction tension ofc :) 

but most of it is in rather friendly way...

there deffinitely are some topics that i follow, but on other hand im trying my best not to participate, yet almost all of them are driven by people DEMANDING this or that, mainly features they are used to in SWG...

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Some forums topics get more heated than others, I remember the non human vs human like character argument on the ToR main forums it got bad. At the end it was pretty much one guy shouting everyone that wanted non humans were wrong because they couldn't prove that games with more race options do better than games without it. No mater what people pointed to he just kept shouting the same thing. Thats why most of the people who generally are looking forward to a game, seem to just check the sites for information and avoid the forums now adays. It's to easy to get discouraged by some jerk who defends his opinion by stamping his feet and going la la la la.

As to your hard to upgrade a gaming rig, I suggest getting on tiger direct and newegg's mailing lists so when they do one of their this crap just got upgraded sales you can jump on them. Nothing like buying a step down form the best mo bo and processor for like 150 bucks.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Referring to the title:

SSDD.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert