Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simutronics Players

madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

How many past/present simutronic players are really anticipating HJ? I'm really excited about it knowing how rich their MUDs are. So which games and when did you play them?

I began playing Gemstone 3 back on AOL, around 1996 I think it was... and moved onto Dragon Realms, and Alliance of Heroes. I've been playing all their games on and off since, most prominently GS3 and AOH. It's all good stuff :)

Comments

• SIMU-SKIPPYSIMU-SKIPPY Simutronics DevMember Posts: 28

Originally posted by madjake

So which games and when did you play them?

I'll jump in here!

I started playing DragonRealms in mid/late 1996.  I played for about 3 years before becoming a GameMaster.

I was hired from the GameMaster pool to work at Simutronics as Production Assistant in 2001, and I'm now a game designer and the Director/Liason for our Hero Council program (http://www.play.net/hj/info/apply/hcapp.asp).

Next!

Chris "Skippy" Moore
    Hero Council Director
    www.play.net

• KarliarKarliar Member UncommonPosts: 20

I played Gemstone 3 when it was first on AOL. I left years ago and just returned a few months ago after reading a review of the StormFront FE. I am leaving it again though. I do not think it is for me anymore. I am ambiguous about HJ because I am not certain I want to see artist renderings of my favorite spots in Elanthia. That being said I will probably give it a try.

I wish Simu excellent luck with HJ.

• SIMU-SKIPPYSIMU-SKIPPY Simutronics DevMember Posts: 28

Originally posted by Karliar

I am ambiguous about HJ because I am not certain I want to see artist renderings of my favorite spots in Elanthia.

Let me see if I can ease this concern. :)

You will no more see GemStone IV Elanthian landmarks/location represented in Hero's Journey as you would see GemStone IV landmarks/locations represented in DragonRealms.

With those two games, it seemed to hint at a deeper history to ultimately have them both set in Elanthia, albeit during very different eras.  We all liked the idea of continuing this "tradition".

We certainly wouldn't want to shatter anyone's mental picture of our current text-based games by imposing our artists' interpretations of them in 3D-rendered Hero's Journey.  That's just taking the magic away from folks who enjoy our text-based games for just magic.

In short, no areas in our current design are meant to be counterparts to areas in our text-based games. :)

Hope this helps you understand a bit better!

Chris "Skippy" Moore
    Designer/Hero Council Director
    www.play.net

• AlteredBeastAlteredBeast Member Posts: 5

Played gemstone III as soon as it became pay to play. Was my first mmo and I keep coming back after I quit the latest graphical mmo's. All I see in the new mmos is more wasted potential and an genre starved of innovation. Maybe its because the innovative ones get cancelled or are too "risky".

Love simutronics, had a lot of fun playing there games and will give HJ a try when it comes out. Really can't wait till some details get released on game play and such.

• AdrealAdreal Member Posts: 2,087

I played Gemstone III on www.zone.com around '99. My first character was a Sylvankind Ranger known as Adreal. Of course this was before the LoTR movies came out (and before I had read the books) so there were some people with the impression that elves were still little gnome-like creatures. So, I always viewed myself as a fat short elf toting around a heavy crossbow and thick chainmail. Not a very good combination for RT and Action penalties of course (especially at lvl 5) lol. I died plenty of times to creatures.

I remember being accepted into a Council of Light or some such thing and then going on a quest to kill some trolls and get their hides, etc. (mind you this was around lvl 4 or 5). To make the story short, I didn't even get a shot off when I plopped down on my knees to steady my heavy crossbow beneath the folds of my chainmail hauberk and surrounded by 2-3 trolls. Not a very wise act, but I was a newbie after all. image It was time for a friendly drag over the rocky hills to be resurrected...

Hey, if you guys have any old stories it'd be great to hear them. I've got plenty. Anyway, I know this is sort of off-topic but if you guys have played any dungeon crawl rogue games then try out www.MAngband.org . Simplistic yet addictive. Just join the easy-high-speed-mang server. All of the other servers are practically impossible to level in for newer players and the only other easier one is way too easy. It'd just be cool to have some players drop by once in a while (I have to warn you though, the server seems to go down on the weekends). My name on it is Packrat.

"Put your foot where your mouth is." - Wisdom from my grandfather
    "Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek
    AC1: Wierding from Harvestgain

• DJJGKWYADJJGKWYA Member Posts: 4

I've played GS3/DR on and off since it was on AOL, that was back when they charged by the minute. :P  I've always been more into GS3..never really enjoyed the whole thing they got going in DR, though..but it always intrigues me because I am more used to GS ;)

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Originally posted by DJJGKWYA
    I've played GS3/DR on and off since it was on AOL, that was back when they charged by the minute. :P I've always been more into GS3..never really enjoyed the whole thing they got going in DR, though..but it always intrigues me because I am more used to GS ;)

Charged by the minute eh? How much did that cost? 1cent per minute?

• madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

Originally posted by Orcc

If only it was that cheap back then, I don't remember the exact usage fees but it was expensive and people wracked up hundreds of dollars in monthly bills..... and people complain about $14.99! ::::02::::::02::

• jgankumjgankum Member Posts: 153

Originally posted by madjake
    Originally posted by Orcc

If only it was that cheap back then, I don't remember the exact usage fees but it was expensive and people wracked up hundreds of dollars in monthly bills..... and people complain about $14.99! ::::02::::::02::

I think I had a average monthly bill of $230 for the GEnie service, and most of that was from playing DR in alpha and beta. AOL flat rate saved me sooooooooooo much money.

Jonny

I think I had a average monthly bill of $230

I suppose that sums up those How Much Will You Pay to Play polls... image

Seriously though... I'm not an active player of any MMOG except for Planet Side. I could go without a game and probably would, given an unreasonable charge.

"Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek

• jgankumjgankum Member Posts: 153

Keep in mind that back then you were paying for conectivity and usage. Lots of people spent hundreds a month on AOL, before they moved to the flat fee model.

Jonny

• KenorvKenorv Member Posts: 112
    I can't wait for Hero's Journey to come out. I played Gemstone for a while and I really enjoyed it. Sure it's texed based but I still find it better than a lot of the graphic based RPG's out there. I played Final Fanstasy for a bit and I got bored with it really fast. There was just too much repitition to it. I really enjoyed the quests in Gemstone. They were always original and had a lot of GM interaction. From what I've read in the interviews, I'm anticipating a lot of the same in Hero's Journey.
    Yeah, Kenorv, the quests in old Gemstone were amazing (they probably still are), but you come by them seldomly. Throughout my 4-5 years of playing, I probably was involved in three real quests (real as in not simple tasks like running messages to get money or doing community time to get out of jail). They were: The Council of Light, Vuln, and The Underground Society. Those are just the names I use for them because they're best described that way, simply.

• millerapmillerap Member Posts: 21
    I played DR for years back in the day... I started around hell 5th or 6th grade grade for me so that would mean around 95ish.  Played for a good 4 or so years, went through the switch to the net and all that exciting stuff... I decided to stop sometime in HS due to the fact that I felt it was taking over my life and all the time I spent playing wasn't letting me just be a teenager.  I was a 48 lvl Thief when I stopped and I still miss it a lot... When I started looking on here and saw that Simu is putting together a 3D game I immediately got pumped... I can't wait till this comes out and I'll be on from day one. DR was amazing and if HJ is *HALF* as fun as DR I'll be more than happy. 
  • MaxximusMaxximus Member Posts: 74

Have you guys read the interview with Steph? Very interesting. ::::01::

-- The Maxx

Yep. I checked it out as soon as I was informed. Can't believe I didn't see it when I came to the site. Shows how observant I am... image

• TyveilTyveil Member Posts: 201

Long time DR player here.  I started in Sept. '97 as a freshman in college.  DR is partially responsible for why I am just graduating this year! LOL.  Actually I took a 3 year hiatus so it's not that bad, but still I can blame it for early years of wasted tuition can't I? ;)

I've been looking forward to HJ for a very, very long time, but to tell you the truth even if it is better than every other MMORPG out there, it will still not meet my expectations.  All this talk from the Simu camp about how different HJ is suppose to be from their previous games (GS3 and DR) has got me worried that they're shooting themselves in the foot.  Personally I think there is a huge undiscovered audience for a graphical DR or GS3.

• makkahmakkah Member Posts: 72

<<Personally I think there is a huge undiscovered audience for a graphical DR or GS3.>>

That's funny that you say that.  Last night I was just thinking about that NWN server that has the Landing from Gemstone set up on it.  With the creation of this graphics engine and all the neat little effects, I was thinking: What if someone used the HJ tools to create a graphical GS environment?  :-D

Just something to think about while I wait for more screenshots or a... :gasp: MOVIE.

rht

• RenianRenian Member Posts: 152

There's a NWN server with the Landing set up in it? Um...IP please? :D

Anyway, being the one that told MMORPG.com about this game in the first place, I'm rather excited about this game. Having stuff like invasions in a graphical MMORPG doesn't really happen too often. With this, hopefully, it will. And there ought to be storylines about them, such as Gemstone IV's War of Nations.

I'm not too excited about my situation in Gemstone IV right now though, as a side note. All the items in my locker poofed and I'm waiting on a response from gs4feedback! :::^(::

Ah well, knowing Simu, they'll get that fixed.

Did you go to the main town office (whichever town you're in -  might be clerk's office in moot hall in the Landing) and register the items? If so then you could probably get them back in no time. Never had any item go "poof" on me before though & I think I've only registered one item. It was an ivory-hilted golden-ora falchion. Nice piece of "steel". image

• RenianRenian Member Posts: 152

They've made it so you can register items without being in the moot hall now. It's sweet. But no, I didn't, except for one vultite longsword with lightning flares.

It's fixed now though, because Simu's customer service is sexy like that. ::::02::

• simu-solomonsimu-solomon Simutronics DevMember UncommonPosts: 9

Originally posted by Adreal
    I suppose that sums up those How Much Will You Pay to Play polls...

When DR was on AOL and AOL charged hourly, I averaged about $1200 a month. :(

• SeratSerat Member Posts: 1

I played GSIII for many years, was also part of the crowd paying excessive amounts for connection (averaged about $500 per month). I'm sure I'll play it.  My main character was Augustii in case anyone remembers that old codger of a wizard.

Serat

• TyveilTyveil Member Posts: 201

Originally posted by simu-solomon

Originally posted by Adreal
    I suppose that sums up those How Much Will You Pay to Play polls...

When DR was on AOL and AOL charged hourly, I averaged about $1200 a month. :(

Wow and I thought my mortgage payment was high!
  • sartoriussartorius Member Posts: 199

I was an avid DR player myself.  Had tried GS3, but could never get the feel for it's combat.  Started in DR shortly before the AOL flat fees, had one monthly bill of $541.76 (yes, I still recall it exactly because my wife berated me for years to come afterwards ;) ).  I tried to get my wife involved in the game, but she's not much into online gaming, so I decided to take over her female thief and instantly became hooked on her.  Soon as they started the whole Platinum thing, I jumped ship and went to DR Plat.  Those were really the days....To this very day I am saddened that I'm not able to maintain my subscription yet again, but one day Grezzler Flintbeard, the axe loving and collecting dwarf barbarian, will return!

I am extremely excited about HJ.  When they first announced the prospect of a graphical MMO there were many people on the DR forums that boo'd the idea, mainly because being avid text MMOers they despised graphical ones.  I was intrigued by the idea, and when it ended up they shelved it, my heart sank.  Thank the Elanthian Gods that they've taken up the mantle once again!  As someone had posted earlier, if HJ is even half of what DR was, then this game will be beyond belief!

Me.

"Death is a dignitary who when he comes announced is to be received
    with formal manifestations of respect, even by those most familiar with him."
    - Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce