Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ALL TechJunkIes HELP NO MMORPG Connection WTF $100 reward

Ok here is the deal... I cant connect to the patcher for MXO.  I cant connect to the Steam Engine for HL2, and CSS, and I cant even connect to the download server for DAOC!!!! I never had a problem until I moved into a government subsidized hotel on Fort Leonard Wood.  Obviously it is something they are doing here on the fort (godamn DOIM) and now I cant play my favorite games.  I have made calls and wrote emails but no one seems to know.  I am offering a $100 reward for anyone who can succesfully help me to play these games wheter by overriding the network here or utilizing some kind of alternate connection method to the servers.  It has got to be something with the ISP of the base or the main server for the network which is blocking some port or something that is needed for these games.  Is there a way around it individually on a case per case bases or is it a broad problem like an internal or external firewall that cant be undone without effecting the entire network.  Someone help... I cant live without MMORPG for four more months...  I connect with DSL

here is a tracert to the matrix online to find my server and pathway I cant get anything from the 2nd line.  I called sprint and tried to get any kind of answer about the problem but the people they call tech support cant find their leaky ass with a lit match...

Tracing route to thematrixonline.com [64.12.46.120]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    27 ms     9 ms    20 ms  10.10.10.1
  2    58 ms    75 ms    63 ms  63.170.103.129
  3   111 ms   121 ms   162 ms  sl-gw15-kc-5-1-0-22-TS0.sprintlink.net [160.81.8
0.221]
  4   272 ms   215 ms   235 ms  sl-bb21-kc-0-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.23.2]
  5    83 ms   115 ms    91 ms  sl-bb22-chi-8-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.128]

6   129 ms   235 ms   141 ms  sl-st21-chi-11-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.21]

7   128 ms   118 ms   159 ms  pop1-chi-P5-0.atdn.net [66.185.150.217]
  8   135 ms   165 ms   155 ms  bb2-chi-P0-0.atdn.net [66.185.141.86]
  9   134 ms   164 ms   163 ms  bb2-vie-P14-0.atdn.net [66.185.152.215]
 10   190 ms   280 ms   187 ms  pop2-vie-P1-0.atdn.net [66.185.139.131]
 11   243 ms   246 ms   254 ms  dar2-mtc-S0-0-0.atdn.net [66.185.139.134]
 12   178 ms   217 ms   214 ms  172.21.44.90

I dont havy anything else that can help.  I am about as lost in the dark as it gets.  No I dont have any firewalls internal or external, and yes all my settings are lowere than normal to try and allow communication with the pathchers. I have tried everything an advanced intermediate computer techie can.  I really just want to nuke the server here on post and maybe that will get someones attention that know shat they are doing.  Any help would be great.  anyone that gets me playing will get $100. 

David M Simon

Comments

• supraman01supraman01 Member Posts: 80

forward your ports? hell i dunno

• psiseekerviipsiseekervii Member Posts: 7
    I wish it were that easy... It isnt my computer.  If I could get someone that worked with the servers and what not then maybe they could do that from there side.  Problem is no one of there knows what the hell is going on...

David M Simon

• zensaberzensaber Member UncommonPosts: 787

Don't know if this works, they could have a program running on your PC in the background that starts up with out you knowing at start up. TO stop this try , start menu, run, MSCONFIG, seletive startup, uncheck loadup start up Items, Another way is try reformating your system it may not have anything to do with the internet. IF these do not work I will try to find some other way, I don't really care about the money although I would like it lol It's just horrible to know that a gamer can't play games.

• brian72282brian72282 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Did you try setting yourself up a proxy server, and going through that, and having the proxy server forwartd the ports to another range? It's what I did with my friend who's on a navy base near seattle and it worked fine.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Are you on their LAN? They probably have the ports blocked. You have to contact whoever runs it and get them to open up the ports you need. Though they probably won't do it.

• KingGrowlKingGrowl Member UncommonPosts: 237

This is a Virus it has happend to me before and I had to reformat.

• madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

Do not reformat!! I repeat, do not reformat!

Try the previous methods stated (proxy and/or contacting network admin).

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

hey there is nothing wrong with a good reformat

i reformat about once every 3 months( i know this makes me insane)

i do this because it improves computer speed, best way to clense a hard drive of unused stuff u would delete just cus u would say"ill use it later" but u never do, only things i like get reinstalled.

and this way i get to bug microsoft cus every time i reformat i have to call them to re activate it.

and i also am considering purchasing a portable hard drive for a backup(not of whole hard drive but of select files like games, etc. that way i dont get anything that could slow my comp down with it)

it only takes me a week to get fully functional after a reformat and my comp runs so much better.

i dont know why all you tech geeks always avoid reformat. when in reality you dont use a lot of the junk on your computer. and the stuff you do use you can have up and running again in a week.

im an extremist as far as reformating is concerned and i just did one last night and i have all but 4 games installed. my saves i burned to a CD.

but i did suffer some minor sleep loss. and it is wrong in my head that i have my windows key memorized....

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• PeterPainPeterPain Member Posts: 41

Yeah, just reformatted myself yesterday and my comp runs smooth now. Weird how windows gets slower and slower even cleanly uninstalling things.

• GrembagGrembag Member Posts: 39

Sounds like a job for the A-team.

What you need to do is:

find out what ports you need access to. see if you can access them using telnet on the command prompt. if no access either they are blocked, incorrect or not there, so...

get an account on a machine with ssh access.

use a terminal program such as putty.

set up a port forwarding tunnel in your terminal program
    to assign remote ports to your local ports.

redirect your programs to look at your local machine instead of a remote IP.

ah and hope that the ISP haven't blocked the ssh port (22) otherwise you need an ssh account on a machine which has ssh on a non-standard port number.

read up on teh internetz to do the above.

Reinstalling your machine in this case is a bit like shooting your friend in the head to cure an ache in your toe.

• NoubourneNoubourne Member Posts: 349

Does your local cable or phone company offer cable or DSL service to your location? I find it hard to believe you don't have cable, even if you're on a military base. If so, order their internet service, and go through them instead of the government.

That will solve your problem.

Habit is not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed down the stairs one step at a time. - Mark Twain

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by psiseekervii
    No I dont have any firewalls internal or external, and yes all my settings are lowere than normal to try and allow communication with the pathchers. I have tried everything an advanced intermediate computer techie can. I really just want to nuke the server here on post and maybe that will get someones attention that know shat they are doing. Any help would be great. anyone that gets me playing will get $100.

A couple of questions.

1) Have you ever been able to play these MMORPG's on the computer you are trying to use from the military base?

2) I know you said you don't have any firewalls running, however, I've seen multiple people claiming they don't have any firewalls running, however, they never realized that the Windows Firewall was actually running. Click Start->Settings->Network Connections. Right click on your Local Area Network connection and choose Properties. Go to the Advanced Tab and make sure it's not checked.

3) In the same properties panel, go back to the General Tab. List the various Protocol's, Services and Clients you have installed. I've seen an issue with C&C Generals: Zero Hour where someone had a CheckPoint Protocol installed but disabled, and the game couldn't connect to any other LAN games.

Editted to add the following:

I just noticed your traceroute. It looks like you are utilizing a DSL Router since you're machine has a non-routable IP address. Have you tried removing that from the connection and directly connecting the PC to your DSL modem?

Originally posted by Noubourne
    Does your local cable or phone company offer cable or DSL service to your location? I find it hard to believe you don't have cable, even if you're on a military base. If so, order their internet service, and go through them instead of the government.That will solve your problem.

Being on a military base limits his options, as he's in military housing. It's probably easier and cheaper for him to use their ISP than to get his own, not to mention he may not be allowed to. My friend wasn't allowed to use an outside ISP on her naval base because the military likes to monitor what kind of email and PMs are being sent, and intercept "dear John" and "dear Jane" letters and not let them reach their intended targets. I'm not lying about that. It's bad for morale, so it's stopped before it starts. Anyways, this is the 4 step program I recommend to try to get your connection to allow games.

1. If you're using a router, try directly connecting to the modem. This will fix any hardware issues the router's causing.

2. Reinstall Windows. A full format is a waste of time for your average computer user, not to mention one in the military who's got limited spare time.

3. Set up a proxy server, and have it send the information through another port. Information on the following link. http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html

4. If all else fails, pay a face to face visit with whoever supplies the internet for your base, armed with the information of the ports you need for your games. Ask if the ports can be unblocked. If not, ask why, and ask who passed that decision down, and try to speak to them. More often than not, it's some stubborn CO who doesn't like games, so he has them blocked for everyone as a waste of time. Should be an easy fix. Anyways, I hope this helps.

As for the reformatting I just had the computer freshly reformatted with a new video card and more memory introduced and a new processor.  I put in two 512 mg ram cards, a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 prcessor 512 cache, and a Radeon 9800xt video card(ready to game baby) and all of the necessary patches and updates to boot.  I have SP2 for windows xp.  I have not tried setting up a porxy and port forwarding becuase I dont know how do it successfully.  I wish I could say that would work but I dont hink it will bescuase i am sure like it was mentioned above it is the installation blocking the ports for some reason.  If you can give me the steps to set up a proxy and port forward I will try it.  Thanks for the input guys.   I am going crazy here... No one anywhere else on any other sites has anything better of an idea...

David M Simon

http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html

that will tell you how to set up a proxy. if that fails, follow step 4 that I posted ;)

Being on a military base I cannot get cable installed from an outside company since it is a small training post.  I am not using a dsl router and I did try to telnet on ports 80,10000. both(UTCP and UDP) and ports 11000 and none of those ports can be opened.  I did have success on a few ports trying to telnet but they were shut down almost immediately.  I know its not the firewall since I have it turned off.  I know its not an internal problem I.e a virus as it is a fresh reboot and all software is legitate not IRCed.  I can only imagine it must be like was mentioned that the isp or server controlloer here for post has all online game ports locked down.  If so I need to know which ports I need for DAOC, MXO, and HL2 (steam engine) if anyone knows that please give me a holler.  In the meantime I will try everything everyone has mentioned in order to rule to exclusion.  Thankx

David M Simon

Originally posted by Grembag

Sounds like a job for the A-team.
    What you need to do is:
    find out what ports you need access to. see if you can access them using telnet on the command prompt. if no access either they are blocked, incorrect or not there, so...
    get an account on a machine with ssh access.
    use a terminal program such as putty.
    set up a port forwarding tunnel in your terminal program
    to assign remote ports to your local ports.
    redirect your programs to look at your local machine instead of a remote IP.
    ah and hope that the ISP haven't blocked the ssh port (22) otherwise you need an ssh account on a machine which has ssh on a non-standard port number.
    read up on teh internetz to do the above.
    Reinstalling your machine in this case is a bit like shooting your friend in the head to cure an ache in your toe.

And is there a link to do this or can you give me some in detail instructions on how to go about fingind the cure here.  I am willing to jump through these hoops but I am not the brightest when it comes to finding out on my own....

David M Simon

• DekothDekoth Member Posts: 474

You can trace to the patch servers that much is obvious.

However looking at the ping times, It looks more to me like the patch is timing out before you see a response. the TTL is usually pretty short on patches, not much longer then the standard 56k response. And your ping times there are well over what a standard 56k should ping at a max. Looks to me like the Connection lines around your base suck severly. I used to live on an AFB and never once had trouble connecting to an mmo.

Hrm, reformating still may work, perhaps a different OS that can counter react and not support what ever the hell they have running, like if it's top of the line program thing it may not effect you using windows 98

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by psiseekervii
    Being on a military base I cannot get cable installed from an outside company since it is a small training post. I am not using a dsl router and I did try to telnet on ports 80,10000. both(UTCP and UDP) and ports 11000 and none of those ports can be opened. I did have success on a few ports trying to telnet but they were shut down almost immediately. I know its not the firewall since I have it turned off. I know its not an internal problem I.e a virus as it is a fresh reboot and all software is legitate not IRCed. I can only imagine it must be like was mentioned that the isp or server controlloer here for post has all online game ports locked down. If so I need to know which ports I need for DAOC, MXO, and HL2 (steam engine) if anyone knows that please give me a holler. In the meantime I will try everything everyone has mentioned in order to rule to exclusion. Thankx

When did you shut off the Windows Firewall? When you install SP2, it turns it back on. SP2 puts Security Center in your Control Panel and you can disable the Windows Firewall there. Also, check your Services, if memory serves correctly, the Firewall service still starts up even if you deactivated it and it's wasting resources.

better yet DOn't even use SP2 reformat and DONT update windows I bet it's because of that damn SP2, i had problems with SP2 and not letting my download

• NoubourneNoubourne Member Posts: 349

DO use SP2. DO NOT reformat. And try the port forwarding suggestions if you're not allowed to order outside service.

As for the base service being cheaper/easier than outside commercial providers, well a unicycle might be cheaper and easier for him than a bicycle, but not if he doesn't know how to use it. In other words, if he could pay $1 for service that doesn't do what he wants or $40 for service that does, which one should he choose?

Assuming you can't get out to play games till you're done with bootcamp (guessing that's the short-term deal), then I guess you just add one more thing that sucks to the list of things that suck in boot camp, right? Otherwise, find out who the network admin is/are at your base, find out their favorite bottle of scotch/vodka/booze, and start greasing some palms to get them to help you make it work. Maybe you can buy a $40 bottle of booze once and they'll hook you up for the next 6-8 weeks or however-long you're there.

Habit is not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed down the stairs one step at a time. - Mark Twain

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

What I think is that the Fort network is protected by firewalls, which has nothing to do with your personal firewalls.

Every company or institution adopt Fireworks to protect sensitive information to be stolen by hackers or infected by virus.

The only hope is to contact the network administrator and ask him permission to keep open a couple of ports so you will be able to play at least one game.
    Anyway don't hold your breath because the answer will probably be negative. (and there is no way you can override those firewalls without permission)

Ok through much research and lots of hard work and talking to a lot of morons that have no clue they work for tech support (must have thought it was "take support" like Alchoholics Anonymous or something) I have found there is an internal base isp run like a router through each post to a major server in Virgina or some place.  The internal ISP (even thought its not an ISP its more of a 10 by 10 foot room with glorified network routers and switchboards) has a pimply faced goomba that works the place.  If he ever gets back from vacation I can email him and get his address, where I can send a life size Jenna Jameson doll, to get his V-Card, hence making hime him extremely happy, then dropping him the suggestion to unlock some of my ports, ergo giving me hours of unbridled MMORPG access.  MUHHHHAAAHHHHHAAAHHHHHH.  Anybody got a Jenna Jameson Doll...

David M Simon

brian72282

Hey if you get this drop me an email at [email protected]

David M Simon