Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF new Super Hero game, or something else

luckylogluckylog Member UncommonPosts: 11

I have played and liked WOW and SWG

I am not sure of Rift

i like Pirates of the Burning Sea, thinking of going back, but how is the population now?

I am looking for a new super hero game and can't decide between CoH or DC online, which one is better and which one has a better population/staying around?

Or another game that has a large population and enough people in starting zones to be helpful, i like a little pvp, a good amount of crafting and the chance to play solo, I can only play a few hours a day.

Comments

• feiritedfeirited Member Posts: 57

Between CO and DCUO i would choose DCUO. I have played both but DCUO was better imo... Combat is quite inuque in DCUO and i like DC comics or i liked them when i was kid =)

• Dragon71UKDragon71UK Member Posts: 86

There is no crafting in DCUO although it is the better game.

CO is free to play so you can at least test it out.

Played WOW (5 years), AOC, AO, EQ2,AC2, Horizons, Saga of Ryzom, SWG, CO, STO(Beta),ROM, Allods, and many other F2P titles. Asl been in beta for many of the main titles and played countless SP games. I have been gaming for 15+ years!

• luckylogluckylog Member UncommonPosts: 11

I should of added that i am looking for a game with a free trial, and does anyone know if anyone still plays Pirates of the Burning Sea, also taking suggestions of other games that have a high population and helpful people in the starting zones.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Originally posted by luckylog

I should of added that i am looking for a game with a free trial, and does anyone know if anyone still plays Pirates of the Burning Sea, also taking suggestions of other games that have a high population and helpful people in the starting zones.

PotBS went f2p a while ago so it should have a decent population. Another game with a high population and free trial would be Eve, though doesn't sound like thats what your into.  

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

7 Day free trial to CoH can be found here:  http://www.cityofheroes.com/en/trial/index.html

I find City of Heroes to be far more substantial in terms of character development, character customization, skill customization, combat, teaming, general style and content (the lattermost being unfair to compare with DCUO though, since release).  The CoH playerbase is pretty loyal and often is a fallback game that, even when people leave, they enjoy enough to come back to (or so they claim in posts).

If you're looking for a single-player superhero experience, I highly recommend Freedom Force, another game that allows for skill customization (and even some character customization if you track down some skins).

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I played all three quite extensively

But here are my thoughts on them

City of Heroes

• Great char customization

• Roles are easy to use/get into

• Teams are really fun

• Friendly and its usually easy to find teams

• I loved how you feel quite super.

• Idk why I quit...I think it was cuz I couldnt decide on a main character

Champions Online

• Loved the skill system

• Loved the combat system

• Best character customization

• Quest grind but at least you can share your quests with other people even if they completed it

• Lairs are quite fun (I always played with my ex in this game so thats 2 people who arent noobs..)

• Not enough content and I did not enjoy the adventure packs when we tried them out.

• Not enough areas to fight strong enemies.

DCUO :

• Very fun action gameplay that kind of reminds me of Arkham Asylum and a slower paced Devil May Cry

• Very limited powers (Fire, Ice, Mental, Gadget, Nature, Sorcery)

• Roles are set which makes it easier to choose and all roles can focus on DPS if they wanted.

• I found the endgame alerts to be not very fun for some reason compared to Champions Online and City of Heroes Task/Strikeforces.

• Easy to reach level cap

• Weapon skills and combos are fun

My top pick would actually be City of Heroes just because I love teh combat system and the teaming aspects.  I would choose champions but there isnt much teaminess going there when I quit.  Also, I dont think they added any new lairs after Therakiels Temple....  That lair was Waaayyy too long IMO. As for DCUO...I didnt find the Alerts to be as enjoyable...So thats my last pick actually...

I still have like..2 months sub for DCUO but I havent logged in it for about a month now...

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• luckylogluckylog Member UncommonPosts: 11

thanks for all the input, if you have more ideas i am always up for them

i am now downloading Coh,but have a 3 hr wait

and then trying Pirates of the Burining Sea

but still have a subscription to Rift, so will still try to get into it

and then maybe eve, but could change based on suggestions, thanks all

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

If youre going to play eve just for the pve, then theres a high chance that youll only need to pay for subs once and after that, the isk you make will be enough to buy a monthly sub o.o 

I remember you could just log in once a day, do a level 4 blockade mission, salvage and sell from that mission then log off.  If you do that once a day, youll be able to afford to buy a 30 day pilots license easy o.o

I remember I was able to do that but I ended up having to pay for subs because I spent too much isk pvping lol...But yah...If you get a 21 day trial then pay for subs once, you should be able to make enough money after that to never have to pay for subs again so long as you do missions once a day at least...but then itll start feeling like work :P

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by luckylog

thanks for all the input, if you have more ideas i am always up for them

i am now downloading Coh,but have a 3 hr wait

and then trying Pirates of the Burining Sea

but still have a subscription to Rift, so will still try to get into it

and then maybe eve, but could change based on suggestions, thanks all

Some advice, if you've never played before --

1.  have fun.

2. start hero-side.  There are plenty of villains and praetorians, but not in the starting areas. Hero side's starting area is very populated.

3.  Do not go into the architect early on.  Hook up with a sewer team out of the tutorial.  You'll hear calls for it. 

4.  A trial account has some limitations to it, like not being able to broadcast.  Just use local (or team) to identify yourself.  People will help you out.

5.  Have fun! ( ' :

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I'd recommend CoV as well (still can't get used to my beloved red side being called CoH).  I can't give you a comparison with the other hero games since I haven't played them, but I have had a lot of fun with CoV over the years and it's one of the very few games I've ever felt compelled to returned to.

To echo a previous bit of advice, blue side (heroes) is busier than red side (villains) early on so that might be the way to go.  Although the game is pretty solo friendly, teaming is a blast and it's easily one of the best communities I've been involved with.  And this coming from a dyed-in-the-wool soloist. 

Hope you enjoy it.