Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ranger: Norn or Sylvari

sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

i am conflicted. one seems more in touch with animals, and the other with plants. Norn are a weird mix of Natives and Vikings, while the Sylvari are essentially monks.

Comments

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Norn all the way.  They are all about working with animals.  Their race hero is even a ranger.

Also, given the disposition of sylvari, they are more likely to abuse the animal to learn about it probably - or get eaten by their pet (if it's an herbavore anyway).

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Voted Sylvari

Pew pew Leg0las189654392!

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406

Originally posted by twrule

Norn all the way.  They are all about working with animals.  Their race hero is even a ranger.

Also, given the disposition of sylvari, they are more likely to abuse the animal to learn about it probably - or get eaten by their pet (if it's an herbavore anyway).

I lol'd the red part.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

What exactly makes you think that a sylvari would abuse the animal? (a non-nightmare court sylvari that is, obviously)

I also voted Norn by the way.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Originally posted by Diovidius

What exactly makes you think that a sylvari would abuse the animal? (a non-nightmare court sylvari that is, obviously)

Well, I'm basing that off of the attitude of the main sylvari character in the first GW2 novel.  She didn't see any issue with razing dead humans in front of their loved ones and playing with their corpses like they were toys.  They seem to be written such that they are curious about everything and will probe and mess with even living creatures to learn more about them in a scientific sort of way.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Originally posted by Diovidius

Well, I'm basing that off of the attitude of the main sylvari character in the first GW2 novel.  She didn't see any issue with razing dead humans in front of their loved ones and playing with their corpses like they were toys.  They seem to be written such that they are curious about everything and will probe and mess with even living creatures to learn more about them in a scientific sort of way.

Gives me some hope GW2 will actually have an interesting story.  Has not been arena nets strong points from what I have heard.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

HAHAHA now thats funny as heck very insighting opinion.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by sonoggi
    i am conflicted. one seems more in touch with animals, and the other with plants. Norn are a weird mix of Natives and Vikings, while the Sylvari are essentially monks.

How are the Sylvari at all like monks?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

maybe i havent read enough of the literature. but theyre reclusive, peaceful and in touch with nature. going off the stuff on the gw2 website anyway.

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

Actually, if you read the other book, it explains that the sylvari are most interested in death because their race is so young that none have lived long enough to have died of natural causes; even by the time we play GW2, the firstborn will only be in their mid 20's. So that explains their fascination and unabashed handling of dead things.

Living things probably don't fascinate them as much unless its a newborn or pregnant (just speculating that their fascination with death could also reflect to a fascination with the creation of life). So animals probably wouldn't concern them as much, especially the ones that are native to the Grove area, since the tree would have learned of those before the blossoming of the firstborn.

But then again, there could be major issues with those pesky herbivorous ceratadons just north-west of the Grove.

• Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82

i suggest holding off ur decision til sylvari week. ;) only then will u be able to decide which race u'd really want.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by therez0

But then again, there could be major issues with those pesky herbivorous ceratadons just north-west of the Grove.

In the book, the sylvari eat meat, even that which is poisonous to humans, so I'm looking forward to some very entertaining food-chain confusion moments.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

The Sylvari race is so young that they haven't had time to develop a cultural history the way the other races have.  They have no traditions to help them make decisions, only the ventari stone, and I'd guess that it itself is open to wide interpretation.  It's no wonder they come off as callous in some instances since they don't have a moral compass that points in any one direction.  Yet. 

This is what makes them fascinating to me.  Seeing how this nascent society develops and learns about the world, much like a new player will when they first log in.  Everything is open to being questioned.  Everything is yet to be discovered.  This is why I'm going with Sylvari for my first character.  You can only play the game for the first time once, so I want to do it from the perspective of a character whose lore places them in an identical situation.  It's rare to be given a situation where the potential for immersion is so high.  I don't want to squander that.  I may never see it again.  In fact, I've never seen it before.

I haven't decided if Ranger will the first profession I try, but it's certainly in the top two.  Mesmer is still my first love and that's what I'm waiting for.  Either way though, the race will be Sylvari.