Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One pops up, the other finishes sinking.

Do you think the low population in SWG will finish abandoning that game to begin playing this one? I mean, once the two games are running together, there's no comparison between the two as to which is the superior Starwars game.

I mean, SoE is already used to having a stable full of games with very low populations but will this one finally finish off that one?

Thanks

Comments

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Very different games and experiences. As well as time lines. So it won't be the reason SWG dies. Just time will kill off SWG. TOR is a themepark story questing RPG not a sandbox at all.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I believe it will. Why would a Star Wars fan continue playing that bug filled mess when a more stable option is available? That reason alone should be enough to make the few thousand left jump over. Not to mention the fact that the story missions are going to be so much more engaging , which will make the leveling process seem so much easier. The only thing I would give SWG a leg up on would be the free roaming space, but I doubt that will be enough to keep people. I give SWG six months after TOR launches before the game is finally put out of its misery. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

Free roaming space as in outer space or terrain? I'm sorry, but I've never played SWG.

I know that TOR has 13 or so very large planets that all have unique features.

Groovy.

Originally posted by theratmonkey

Free roaming space as in outer space or terrain? I'm sorry, but I've never played SWG.

Free roaming as in your ship isn't being pushed on a rail. You can direct your ship to go anywhere you want it to go. In TOR your ship is constantly moving forward and your only control is to dodge and fire. 

• EmyrsIIEmyrsII Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by ktanner3

Free roaming as in your ship isn't being pushed on a rail. You can direct your ship to go anywhere you want it to go. In TOR your ship is constantly moving forward and your only control is to dodge and fire. 

for now at least. could very well be an expansion later on ::shrug::

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Maybe, maybe not. I think soe just dropped the ball from the get go with SWG, it was built on to much open space. Yes I know it was a sand box, but they focused so much on that fact that they cut out any planet that players couldn't build on. As well they failed to addess game ruining bugs, swinging around the nerf bat instead, left in broken quests, and basically ruined a good concept. So if SWG finally dies it will do so on it's own merrits, not because ToR killed it, because there will still be some people who like the sandbox star wars.

Me it became rather annoying going to a once beautiful vista point in the game and seeing, in the place of rolling lush grass, a bunch of ugly, jumbled up guild buildings.

As to the space, rogue squadron style, rails shooter I am okay with that. Jump to lightspeed just didn't really work in SWG, one lag spike and your enemy got their sheilds back and had position on you. Until they can make sure there will be next to no lag in space, then they don't need to have free roaming pvp space battles. With a rails shooter, once your past something your in the clear from it, so a little lag might not kill you in such battles.

Oh, well that makes sense then.

But I don't really know how much I'm interested in free roaming space in TOR.

Groovy.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

Not intrested in free roaming space? you rather have a cheesy mini game on rails? Bioware really dropped the ball skipping over the space side.

Many left in SWG love the space side. There are still pilot communities that will NOT leave all the time they have in for some bad minigame on rails.

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

IMO the only reason SWG has survied thus far is because it's the only SW mmo available, when TOR hits, I suspect the 20K people left in SWG will rather play TOR.

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

TOR will have no effect on the population that remains in SWG, now if SOE does something to finally drive these people away it'll shut down, but the people playing SWG are playing it because it is what they want to play, and TOR is not going to offer them what they want. 

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Neloth

IMO the only reason SWG has survied thus far is because it's the only SW mmo available, when TOR hits, I suspect the 20K people left in SWG will rather play TOR.

I have to agree with Neloth for the most part.  The fact is if SWG hadn't been such a bore I would have continued playing it after 30 or so hours of really trying to like it.  I honestly believe at this point that there are a lot of people that only still play it because there is currently no other Star Wars MMO out there to play.  Once SWTOR launches I personally think that enough of the players, not all but enough, will leave SWG that it won't make enough money to even keep the servers running and SOE will pull the plug.

In the end though, this is nothing more than speculation since none of us know how many people are actually playing SWG nor how many will leave.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

this is an opportunity to sony,they should use all this Star Wars hype now.

after people tried wowtor,and got interested about Star Wars and maybe even got interested about roleplaying games and are trying to find one and they realize SWG is only RPG available.

Generation P

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by inBOIL

after people tried wowtor,and got interested about Star Wars and maybe even got interested about roleplaying games and are trying to find one and they realize SWG is only RPG available. 

I see we have a SWG fan here, and nothing wrong with that.  The only problem with your statement though is that enough people have such a bad taste in their mouths over that game that they won't go back and try it.  You may like your sandbox game and good on you for it, but the fact that most MMO's that make any money are themeparks tells you a lot.  Granted there are some exceptions, but not many and a game that is starting with a really bad rep has little chance of making a comeback after YEARS of neglect.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

I'll go ahead and say it this way SWG was the only mmo, that post launch, had a little screen pop up when I clicked on a quest item that said. Were sorry but this quest isn't coded into the game yet, please try again later. Thats all I got to say on that. Sorry but anyone that played SWG before will not rush back to it even if ToR suddenly sucks. Because the game was just bad, another bad game doesn't make you go well I guess the other one was a little less bad.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by inBOIL

I see we have a SWG fan here, and nothing wrong with that.  The only problem with your statement though is that enough people have such a bad taste in their mouths over that game that they won't go back and try it.  You may like your sandbox game and good on you for it, but the fact that most MMO's that make any money are themeparks tells you a lot.  Granted there are some exceptions, but not many and a game that is starting with a really bad rep has little change of making a comeback after YEARS of neglect.

neglect? they broke their own game... but your not wrong.. those people interested in Star Wars have most likely already played SWG, probably even before the game was NGE'd to death, the few that remain would probably play anything with the Star Wars name on it, even Star Wars Bubble Bobble... will they play SW:TOR.. i don't think they'd be able to help themselves tbh.. they'd be too afraid of missing out image

The question, really is how many of the 'Ex-SWG' players will want to play SW:TOR... given that a lot of them moved on, to games like Eve Online and WoW etc... but given that there was only about 200k or so SWG players anyway... at peak.. would anyone notice if they did or didnt? image

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by artemisentr4

Very different games and experiences. As well as time lines. So it won't be the reason SWG dies. Just time will kill off SWG. TOR is a themepark story questing RPG not a sandbox at all.

But SWG have obvious SW fans playing it it would be strange if they won't try TOR lol sandbox or not hehe.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• MillbargeMillbarge Member Posts: 46

Speaking as a former SWG player (Elder Jedi) I think it will put a dent in the remaining population but probably not kill it.  Those players who enjoy the game for what it is will probably stay but players like me that just want to play a good SW MMO will most likely leave.  It all boils down to the reason you play the game.  I'm more of a SW fan than a MMO fan so the choice is easy for me.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Originally posted by Millbarge

Speaking as a former SWG player (Elder Jedi) I think it will put a dent in the remaining population but probably not kill it.  Those players who enjoy the game for what it is will probably stay but players like me that just want to play a good SW MMO will most likely leave.  It all boils down to the reason you play the game.  I'm more of a SW fan than a MMO fan so the choice is easy for me.

This is me. The only reason I played SWG was because I love the Star Wars Universe and wanted to play in it. The only reason I put up with the many problems the game had was because ..

1.) I was in a fun guild

2.) It was Star Wars

Once the NGE came along the guild quit and the Star Wars flavor only kept me another few months. From looking at the SWG forums I get the feeling that most are only playing it for that very reason. Once TOR comes out, they will have a chance to start fresh with a more stable and polished system and a higher number of players. 

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Well dont think the population on SWG will be affected significantly. I myself play SWG on a pirate server (despite all its faults :p), but thats not really the point.

The point is that SWG is very differently from alot of the other games. With its waste options, its a roleplay heaven, and with all its other social aspects and no game has really tried to copy it. Im sure alot of them will try SW TOR, but does not mean they will quit SWG. Maybe if they like the SW TOR experience so much they might consider quiting SWG.

I myself will try SW TOR, does not mean I will quit playing Eve Online or SWG.

Originally posted by Evile

Not intrested in free roaming space? you rather have a cheesy mini game on rails? Bioware really dropped the ball skipping over the space side.

Many left in SWG love the space side. There are still pilot communities that will NOT leave all the time they have in for some bad minigame on rails.

I'd rather have the 13 planets with large free roaming zones, tbh.

Space is nice, but it's not what Star Wars is all about. True, a lot of battles happen in space, but it's not like Star Trek where you're nearly always in space.

Groovy.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Space is nice, but it's not what Star Wars is all about. True, a lot of battles happen in space, but it's not like Star Trek where you're nearly always in space.

at last count there is actually 17.

Tython

Korriban

Hutta

Ord Mantell

Coruscant

Balmorra

Alderaan

Tatooine

Dromund Kaas

Taris

Belsavis

Voss

Hoth

Nar Shaddaa

Corellia

Illum

and Quesh

Unless of course your talking about a game that isn't swtor.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by Leoghan

TOR will have no effect on the population that remains in SWG, now if SOE does something to finally drive these people away it'll shut down, but the people playing SWG are playing it because it is what they want to play, and TOR is not going to offer them what they want. 

Hellooooo..... SoE did just this a while back, they ran a large portion of the population off with their stupid changes.

And "ToR is not going to offer them what they want?"

Strange comment.  The only way this game isn't going to offer them what they want is if they want to continue playing a cheesy game like that one.

There's no way you can even think of comparing the two games. None, zip, zilch, nada!

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

The ones I have known since before NGE will try TOR but it seems SWG players went to the TOR forums and asked to many questions about sandbox features, and basicly got told to GTFO by some of the 2008 members. Go there and ask about SWG and sandbox or hell even drop compares to Wow and prepare for a hellstorm from Kotor fans.

Pretty touchy over there. why I avoid the forums tho, hehe.

• Originally posted by jeremyjodes

The ones I have known since before NGE will try TOR but it seems SWG players went to the TOR forums and asked to many questions about sandbox features, and basicly got told to GTFO by some of the 2008 members. Go there and ask about SWG and sandbox or hell even drop compares to Wow and prepare for a hellstorm from Kotor fans.

Pretty touchy over there. why I avoid the forums tho, hehe.

not to really defend them cause both sides are fault, but multiple times a day you get people either asking why it isnt swg2 or screaming about how it will fail because its not.  after 2 years peoples patience wears thin and they have given up trying to be nice.  and what happens unfortunately is that the swg people that have interest in the current game and just looking for info get caught in the crossfire.

Originally posted by whilan

at last count there is actually 17.

Tython

Korriban

Hutta

Ord Mantell

Coruscant

Balmorra

Alderaan

Tatooine

Dromund Kaas

Taris

Belsavis

Voss

Hoth

Nar Shaddaa

Corellia

Illum

and Quesh

Unless of course your talking about a game that isn't swtor.

Well, even better.

Groovy.