Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kid's Game?

Comments

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by Seanalex

Originally posted by maskedweasel

As we all know M rated games are always the better games.  Thats why they do so well and are always on the top of the MMO market.  Thats also why KOTOR and KOTOR 2 were both M rated as well and why SWTOR should be rated M so that we can have dismemberment and blood like the Star Wars movies.  Which were all rated R,  but the way.

And if the game doesn't have bewbs I won't playz it,  lolzorz.

All the movies with the exception of Revenge of the Sith were rated PG. Revenge of the Sith was rated PG-13, please get your facts straight before you attempt to make a cogent argumant.

I think he was being sarcastic, though he should have ended his post with a "/sarcasm" remark.

I don't usually do the /sarcasm,  if I use sarcasm I try and make it so obtuse and lay it on so thick you can cut it with a knife.  I failed this time apparently. image

Oh I caught it, but I have seen the movies dozens of times each AND read a lot of your posts.  I was just trying to be nice to the other guy that was not clued in.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

On the topic. All these games focus on killing, which is okay, as long as you don't kill violently. It's a little ironic.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

maybe it was green lvl 1 lightsaber and it doesnt do much damage,white batteries lvl1 and such.

Generation P

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by skeaser

On the topic. All these games focus on killing, which is okay, as long as you don't kill violently. It's a little ironic.

Think of it as the A-Team efffect, a lot of explosions and violence and hardly anyone dies on screen,

Same with Star Wars movies, you see a lot of dying and sabre swinging, but you don't see a bloodied hole in a trooper's chest or a half eaten away face from a laser beam, nor do you see bloodied limbs and bodies lying in half onscreen on the floor, guts spilling out.

But yeah, looking at movies and games, it's a bit ironic, even more if you consider that the slightest glimpse of a nipple could have whole hordes in uproar while mass killing is ok, as long as it isn't torture.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Praxus

Well just saw the new trailer. Looks ok except for combat. There's some lightsaber play and then the loser just falls over? No limbs coming off, no blood? Yawn. Considering most Star Wars fans are adults; it kinda sucks they are selling out for the little kid audience. Not looking for heavy gore or anything... even just like the movies would be ok.... but no.

I see about one or two limbs falling off aproximately every SW movie, and pretty much no blood at all, ever, so what's the big fuzz? It IS like the movies since you dont see limbs flying everywhere and blood spilling in the movies.

How do you know there is not a single quest where dismemberment happens once or twice in the game? If there is, the game is EXACTLY like the movies in this regard.

/thread

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by grimal

Originally posted by mrshroom89

Limbs were very rarely shown being amputated in the star wars movies, and as far as blood goes, none, in any movie.  So your point is invalid, star wars has never been about these things and shouldnt be.

In EPIV, when Obi dismembers the cantina guy's arm, there was definitely blood around the arm. 

That was the exception, not the rule. 

When Darth Maul was cut in half, there was a fine mist of blood, basically all that could escape before the wound was cauterized by the heat of the blade.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by mrshroom89

Limbs were very rarely shown being amputated in the star wars movies, and as far as blood goes, none, in any movie.  So your point is invalid, star wars has never been about these things and shouldnt be.

Wot? It's almost an insider joke that in any good Star Wars story, someone has to lose a hand.

Luke from Vader

Anakin from Dooku

Dooku from Anakin

Mace from Anakin

Old Obi-Wan from Cantina dude

Anakin from Obi-Wan (legs)

and of course Jango Fett loses a head from Mace Windu

There is barely a SW movie where NOT some limbs are chopped!

Dont forget darth maul cut in half, not a limb but still something got lopped off. image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Always loved the decapitation scenes. Darth maul had blood fly out when obi cut him in half. anakin was always getting some part cut off. Luke lost his hand. darkside cave Luke cut Vader's head off. mace windu lost a body part. jeez now i think of it starwars was pretty gruesome.oh and Yoda decapitating the 2 troopers when order 66 was given.

Was a lil late post above nailed it. :P

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I don't care for trying to compare this game to the movies when trying to figure out if a game should have blood and gore in it.  You can of course but lets try this.

We know lightsabers can cut people in half if they wanted to. But so can sword or at least are just as likely to cuase damage.

Now ask yourself this.  Take almost any MMO, Lets say...oh...rift seeing as thats recent.

You slice someone up.  When you do enough damage they fall over and die.

You just hit someone 15 times with a sword...why is there no blood. why is there no limbs or flesh on the ground?

Not enough? lets go a bit further back.

Lets try....Everquest.  A lot of people didn't consider that a kids game

Did things fall off there? blood go everywhere?...No i can't say they did.

Personally i don't think limbs flying off, blood going everywhere is the only way to be dark ala not a kids game, you can certainly achieve dark themes without ever severing one limb.  Most MMOs fail at being dark and can be played by almost anyone, and frankly are not made by Bioware, so lets see if Bioware has dark themes in their games, to see if they can make a dark game.

lets take KOTOR 1 seeing as this is suppose to be a direct sequal...es, to those games.

Lets see what happened in kotor... oh right *waves hand* SPOILER COMING UP

Okay first off you have people in taris forcing people to live in ruins and poverity, where they are more likely to contract a disease that causes them to turn into monsters (yes these creatures are in ToR) and attack the people they love, then to die of old age.

Then you got a blockade by people who force their way into homes, forceably search people premises, then accuse them of treason or trying to stop them, then proceed to shoot them.

You can frequently break into peoples home (via a skill, yes they do notice this and complain about it, not like old rpgs where they don't care and their house is a quest hub with loot you can take)

Theres a constant theme of alchol throughout the course of Taris (your frequenting bars all the time, really you are)

Lets fast forward a bit

You can frequently just ignore the cries of people and leave them to their death.

Theres one point when near the end when you can forceably (if your ability to pursade are high enough) pursade one of your team to kill the other, then kill themselves.

You can tell one person to attack someone higher then themselves and thus basically commit sucide against that guard in hopes of getting accepted.   Then leave the rest to die of starvation.

END SPOILER

To try and cut it short, limbs flying off all the time is a rarity that you see in MMOs, and frankly in my opinion isn't needed to make a dark game, the only MMO i know of that does this all the time is bloodymare requirem and while it's not a kids game i wouldn't say they did it well, again just my opinoin. Severing limbs all the time doesn't make me want to play the game, and in the end companies are trying to make games people will play.  So they can try and be sneaky about it.  Make it so people won't be turned off right away by falling limbs, but can still be just as dark as any other game.  Personally it's the easy way out to just have blood go everywhere.  A good adult game in my opinion is one that feels dark without ever doing any bloodletting.  Anway i'm going off track here.

So lets get back to swtor.  Minus the cutting peoples body parts off as the only way to be less of a kids game.

There is killing though thats not really a factor of not being a kids game.

Theres slave trading on some planets (thats a big no to kids games)

Theres toturing (though i highly doubt you'll be doing it, but none the less a big no if your doing a kids game)

Those two things right there do not make it a kids game.  You'll never see that in a kids game or rather you really shouldn't.

I think too many people see oh bright colors, no blood = kids game.

The problem is some games and movies do that on purpose becuase they know a good majority of the humans think that way.

Oh it's pretty and light i'm safe, thats when they jump you with something scary or dark..because your not ready for it, therefore your caught off guard and are more likely to be scared or pay attention more.  If it was all dark and musty (not to mention that would look terrible if that was all the time) you would expect dark things.  When something is bright and colorful thats when you don't expect it, thus when something does go wrong it usually much worse.

Just to let the OP know i do know what your asking.  Your asking for more blood and gore (limbs flying off) thus realism, and i can understand that, but merely because a game doesn't have that does not equal a kids game, thats one part of the content, to figure out if a game is a "kids game" you have to take all the parts.

You never saw limbs flying in kotor and as you will see if you look at the spoiler section ( or if you'd rather play the game) that it is hardly a kids game.

Just to clarify i'm not expecting a horror movie, but i'm also not expecting a romp through the forest picking flowers either.  What i'm expecting is a game that deals in both fun and light hearted moments and deals with some of the more darker issues. Which so far seems to be the case.  Oh and by the way, there are bars there, and bioware (at least in ME1 and 2) has been known to let the player...induldge in certain acitives that might end them up on the floor...just saying

TL:DR while having body parts fall off is more true to realism in star wars, it's generally not the case in MMOs.  Plus it's not generally required nor is the sole indicator of a game being a kids game or not.  There are other themes and some of these themes have already been shown in this game, plus Bioware has been known to have darker more mature themes. In the end lighting and lack of gore does not equate kids game.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Evasia

Originally posted by Arentas

Originally posted by GMan3

I do agree they could show some more gore though to be honest for realisms sake.  Keep in mind though, that while the heart of the Star Wars audience may be adults, the heart of the group playing this game ( as it is with most MMOs) will be in their early to mid teens most likely (13 - 17).

The average age of an MMO player is in their low-mid 20s, and that average age continues to increase as first generation MMO players get older

This game is likely to have a even older base since A) its Starwars B)its a Bioware game, which means an emphasis on story.

The average playerbase age hasn't been in the teens for about 10 years now.

Why they make cartoon mmos then and color up the games with childish characters symplified the gameplay to extreme becouse those so called growups can play it and like it?

Its still main target under 20 and alot familys that play these games.

War WoW GW2 RIFT SWtor mainly the themeparks, are all for young gamers and family as there main customers.

Nothing wrong with that becouse still mmo's less popular offcorse but more for the older and more demanding gamer we have games like EVE Darkfall Xyson Ryzom and prolly also AoC and some others.

The graphics are fantastic and the details are great; Not photo realistic but for once I am hoping for some decent gameplay sick of graphics and endgame in a week due to lack of content. SWTOR is already providing better.

Am I missing something with respect to body parts and blood; Too much of that in real life.

While I wouldn't mind more realism in combat situations in an MMORPG, also in SWTOR, I find it odd that people are suddenly clamoring for it, as we didn't see people hacked to pieces or with cut off limbs or blasted to fleshy cinders in a Lotro, WoW, Aion or Rift, and not even in a Tabula Rasa or Planetside. Nor did I recall seeing blood spouting all around in them, or bloodied characters.

So, why suddenly this need for it in SWTOR as this isn't exactly a thing that's present in as good as all MMORPG's? Are all those MMORPG's kid's games too?

The only MMORPG that actually did something with it and imo had pretty much nailed it down was Age of Conan, and that one had a Mature rating.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Isane

The graphics are fantastic and the details are great; Not photo realistic but for once I am hoping for some decent gameplay sick of graphics and endgame in a week due to lack of content. SWTOR is already providing better.

Well, the scenery is well done, but the c haracter models are not fantastic. However, that being said, I have noticed a solid improvement in the graphic quality of the avatars. I know gameplay trumps imagery, but graphcis are important to me as well. I'm glad to see Bioware has improved the visuals.

Still on the fence about this one, but I do very much like the housing feature. Oddly, I don't mind the rails shooter experience as much as I mind the on-the-rails questing, and I am still apprehensive about the gameplay encounters I've seen so far, but they are taking steps that are having me at least take a second look at the development.

Good luck to them.

p.s. Bioware please improve Smuggler blaster graphics. They look like hair dryers.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

While I wouldn't mind more realism in combat situations in an MMORPG, also in SWTOR, I find it odd that people are suddenly clamoring for it, as we didn't see people hacked to pieces or with cut off limbs or blasted to fleshy cinders in a Lotro, WoW, Aion or Rift, and not even in a Tabula Rasa or Planetside. Nor did I recall seeing blood spouting all around in them, or bloodied characters.

So, why suddenly this need for it in SWTOR as this isn't exactly a thing that's present in as good as all MMORPG's? Are all those MMORPG's kid's games too?

The only MMORPG that actually did something with it and imo had pretty much nailed it down was Age of Conan, and that one had a Mature rating.

Shhh... it's our conspiracy. Don't tell. ^^

Seriously tho, I can understand what you say. I don't mind it much, but when Bioware's OTHER games make their victims BLOODY EXPLODE IN A FRIGGING MESS just when I stab them with a tiny letter opener, it's quite odd that Bounty Hunter or Sith Lords with their killing arsenals just make an enemy fall over like a sack of potatoes. Not that I need violence. I must admit tho, I enjoyed AoC for the more visceral combat and I miss that in any other MMO ever since. A good killing animation doesn't necessarily need gallons of blood and tons of innards. But some rewarding killing animation does add to the fun, hrhr. :D

I agree tho, it's something we could apply to any MMO. GW2 isn't any better in that I think.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Yep, AoC did have its flaws, but its melee combat was simply awesome, it was very visceral and the diverse finishing moves animations did provide many satisfying moments to an already engaging fight scenes. In AoC, you could even beat and kill someone with a looted limb, was funny image

And no, I don't see that happen in GW2, TERA or Rift either. Besides AoC and MO, I don't recall any other MMORPG that did something with cutting off limbs or spouting blood in fight scenes.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

This game would be TOO awsome if it had light sabre dismemberments.. Can you imagine Dead Space 2's dismemberments (like way over 100+ grusem dismemberments in that game) but with light sabres and on a mass scale MMO? lol body parts flyin all around in instances.. Would be amazing!

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

personally i was bored with AoC finishers really fast... maybe first 20 levs i was enjoying them... than only first 2-3 uses of new one every 10levs... mostly it was simply weard, why the hell am i killing this guy so slowly when there are 4 more around me? and why the hell they dont simply stab me in the back when im trying to pull out my sword from chest of that guy i i pushed to the ground... and btw after finally pulling it out i didnt turn around to new enemies, no, leaned back to the copse and chopped hes head off...

those "mortal kombat like" finishers was one of those little things that build up and pushed me away from the game, funny at first, but slowly growing more and more "unreal", and this was a game aiming for "real"...

so in short, im glad we wont have it in TOR

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• IAMTHE1IAMTHE1 Member Posts: 1

For all the Star Wars fans in here its to bad no one has stated this fact. Star Wars was originaly made as a childrens story, made for kids. So to the OP please make sure you go back to this classic's roots if you are a true fan.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Talthanys

Originally posted by Isane

Well, the scenery is well done, but the c haracter models are not fantastic. However, that being said, I have noticed a solid improvement in the graphic quality of the avatars. I know gameplay trumps imagery, but graphcis are important to me as well. I'm glad to see Bioware has improved the visuals.

Still on the fence about this one, but I do very much like the housing feature. Oddly, I don't mind the rails shooter experience as much as I mind the on-the-rails questing, and I am still apprehensive about the gameplay encounters I've seen so far, but they are taking steps that are having me at least take a second look at the development.

Good luck to them.

p.s. Bioware please improve Smuggler blaster graphics. They look like hair dryers.

I've always wanted to kill someone with a Hair Dryer; And I guess this way they will entice another demograpic "Hair Dressers".

Time will tell either way game is looking great.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Glad to see I'm not the only catching the hypocrisy of this argument. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by rockrock

Originally posted by ktanner3

Glad to see I'm not the only catching the hypocrisy of this argument. 

It's not a question of hypocrisy.

Whereas most MMOs are derived from generic fantasy games and  IPs, Star Wars games are derived from Star Wars films in which light sabers do light saber damage. Many Star Wars games manage to recreate that damage quite successfully - like the Jedi Knight series where, if you hit a stormtrooper with a light saber, you cut him in half.

I'm going to look at it from three different angles.

MMOs, star wars, and fighting.

SW:ToR is an MMO, lets take a look at MMOs how many of them are considered kids games because they don't have blood and limbs flying? Well there are a few, but most of them are considered normal games, some are more mature oriented like AoC and some are less so like flyff, content and graphics wise. but it isn't based on how much blood is flying everywhere.

SW:ToR is Star Wars: So lets see how much blood and limbs go flying around, we do get some decapitions but no where near normal american horror movie types.  We do get one limb falling off in episode 4 with some small amounts of blood

SW:ToR has fighting in it.  But as both are basically the same type. Swing a weapon till their dead lets take a look at the types. While i can understand lightsabers cutting people arms off, i don't really see the blood as now lightsabers cut off limbs but don't cause any blood, anakin's/ and luke's arm got cutt off but you didn't see blood going everywhere, whereas that one guy in the bar did so theres some confusion here, but as in most cases the lightsaber didn't cut off the arm with blood coming out i'll go with that one.  Now lets take a look at the other route. Lets say you stab someone in the chest, in most movies with a R rating doing this causes blood to come out when the sword is released, many a horror movie shows tons of blood when someone slices someone. 

So in my opinion a sword as in basic fantasy is more likely to cause bloodletting then a lightsaber made of pure energy.  But in the end it's a game which requires suspension of disbelief, and on SW:ToR end thats that the lightsabers don't just cut people in half.  I think people are trying to get the game to mimic the movies too much and forgetting it's a game.

I will grant you there are "Ways" around that but then you have to rework the entire system.  jedis start with a vibroblade, which for all intent and purposes is a sword, that wouldn't really cut someone in half.  Then you got what happens if a smuggler gets invovled, if the enemy only has 1 hp (as your fighting against his sword until you win and slash him once with the lightsaber thus kiling him), all he have to do is fire once while the enemy is busying blocking a slash with a vibroblade and the mob is dead, interesting tatic would be a quick and boring fight though.

There are ways to do anything but i don't think merely removing the blood and limbs make the game a kids version, Star wars isn't known for blood and guts, it's known for their battles and dialog.  In the end you just gotta remember it's a game that is for it's intended purporses is to be fun, and after a while all the blood letting and limbs flying will get old.  I like the saying: Little bit of that goes a long way.  If you start incorpating that into all your fights then that gets old and in my opinion i don't care for games that do that all the time myself.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

This game would be TOO awsome if it had light sabre dismemberments.. Can you imagine Dead Space 2's dismemberments (like way over 100+ grusem dismemberments in that game) but with light sabres and on a mass scale MMO? lol body parts flyin all around in instances.. Would be amazing!

A modded Jedi Academy?

It's pretty silly to call it a kids game.  I would even say trollish.

Star Wars has always been a more "family oriented" movie.  They could have gone like Starship troopers with blood and guts everywhere from lightsabers/blasters/explosions, but they didn't.

I guess I don't need blood and guts spewing everywhere to see the intent of what is going on, nor to have fun.  Maybe I am weird :P.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

I'm going to go so far as to say, we probably will see the off hand (no pun intended) decapitation, or loss of limb,  but if and when we see it in TOR, we'll see it in a cutscene of sorts, perhaps when you decide to kill or save your master as a Sith Warrior -- who knows?  

The point is,  we won't be seeing blood, for certain, as there seems to be a very imited bit of that in the movies,  and we won't see 1 hit kills and real-time decapitations - though the system they have in place could account for it.  There are very few (if any) hyper realistic Star Wars lightsaber games.   I've been playing through the jedi knight series lately,  and you don't see this kind of stuff much there either, and ESPECIALLY not in the multiplayer (though I suppose you could have a mod for it).

I don't even think that they didn't add the decaptitations or anything like that because "kids" might play the game....  I think they didn't simply because adding it would have been pointless -- in every sense and facet that the word pointless implies.  Kind of a cool novelty... removing limbs -- but creating a gory kind of game is a kind of faux-adult-like gimmick to *try* and shoot for an older demographic.  Like saying you can remove all of a female toons armor to see tits.  Hey thats great and all buddy,  but it does nothing for the game except allow old guys to RP as chicks and take it off for in game coin.  (yes, I can overembelish, I have a ....license.. to do so.)  

Plenty of star wars games worked rather well without the addition of limb removal and blood, and plenty will afterwards.

• bluedragonnnbluedragonnn Member Posts: 118

You see the thing about blasters and lightsabers is, is that the extreme heat they produce when they come into contact with your body pretty much instantly cauterizes any kind of wound that was made as it goes through you. So blood wouldn't be very realistic, even when you chop off an arm, the lightsabers will instantly burn the center of the arm and no blood will be able to escape... /end nerd rant.

Originally posted by Turdinator:
    Wow. So many great points made in that post. You are a fine addition to the Athiest movement my good man. Keep up the good work and post as often as you like. It sounds like you have important/intelligent things to say.
  • merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

I'm still trying to figure out why blood and gore is needed.

Nothing about this game strikes me as being kiddy or for kids.

• DrastDrast Member UncommonPosts: 149

I don't get how including blood and gore make a game better.  Age of Conan had it, and that game was/is garbage.