Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or are games shrinking ?

RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

I remember reading lots of previews and reviews over the years that say "most players will complete the single player campaign in X hours"

I have noticed both through reading more previews and reviews and through my own playing experience that this number used to be a lot closer to 100 hours than the current 10-20 Im seeing now.

Given that the price of games has not changed much in the past 5 years or so, why do you think it is that the games seem to have shrunk so much image ?

I used to really enjoy playing a single player offline game for like... months... but now Im lucky if I get a week or two of average playtime from the games Im buying. Cases in point from recent times would be the excellent but way to short "Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30" and "Freedom Force Vs the 3rd Riech" both of these games took me about 2 weeks of a few hours per night to finish, including doing some missions over again to try different things out.

One game that impressed me in its scope and quality of late was Warhammer 40K Dawn of War, a truly excellent RTS and I will definately be getting the expansion pack when it comes out.

But I dont like this trend toward less game for my bucks at all....

+-+-+-+-+-+
"MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
http://purepwnage.com
-+-+-+-+-+-+
"Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Comments

• GideonGideon Member UncommonPosts: 629

I am pretty sure it has to do with the time put into the graphics and environment of the game then the actual length. People want really nice looking games but at the same time a game that can keep you interested for a long time. It would take double the time to make the game with both and thats somthing alot of game companies cant take the time on.

Btw WH40k was a great game. I just got bored of it soon learning that orcs were the best team and were un beatable if you played them right.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Well thats shows what a n00b I am because I cant win with Orks to save myself. Even in a skirmish Vs the PC I get whupped trying to play Orks...

Whats the secret ?

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

I think we're seeing 2 extremes though. You have the games that will take 20-40 hours to complete and then you have games coming out like Oblivion which you could basically play endlessly due to the open endedness (is that a word?) of it.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Even mmos are shrinking. Look at Guild Wars and wow. They only take A couple of weeks to finish.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman