Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This your GW2 :D

2»

Comments

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

The art in GW has always been top notch.  It stands out on it's own.  It's not "cartoony", it's not "super realistic".  It's like a painting, like they said.

I am most looking forward to a whole bunch more armor options, and the ability to color my armor (and color each "piece") with up to three colors.  And of course, the fact that it will finally be an open world compared to gw1.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by whilan

I'll just touch on what i thought of the dialog (aka the story telling aspect)

First off i do like they have Voice overs, while not the best i really think it's a good thing for Voice overs to be in game.

Sadly thats about the only thing i do like about it.

My biggest problems are following

First off, the moves they do are extremely repetative.

Which moves?

Second, The voice over while nice tends to come off bland.

It isn't done.

Thirdly they lack emotion, a forced voice doesn't make them angry.

It isn't done.

Theres lack of emotion in the character models themselves.

It isn't done.

I do not like that background. Sorry but that just feels weird to me

Subjective.

At least in the one linked you had absolutely no choice in that quest, you had to take that quest, and do it the way your told.  Maybe it was that one quest but it was the one i saw.

That was the beginning tutorial. It was the first part of the Personal Storyline.

Generally it looks nice and is an over all improvement over the generic quests being given and it's possible i'm spioled by a certain companies games when it comes to these things, but i sadly wasn't impressed.

Of course it's a work in progress so i won't judge my want of the game just yet, but i'm not impressed with the quest dialog so far.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by whilan

I'll just touch on what i thought of the dialog (aka the story telling aspect)

First off i do like they have Voice overs, while not the best i really think it's a good thing for Voice overs to be in game.

Sadly thats about the only thing i do like about it.

My biggest problems are following

First off, the moves they do are extremely repetative.

Which moves?

During the dialog cinematics

Second, The voice over while nice tends to come off bland.

It isn't done.

Thirdly they lack emotion, a forced voice doesn't make them angry.

It isn't done.

Theres lack of emotion in the character models themselves.

It isn't done.

I do not like that background. Sorry but that just feels weird to me

Subjective.

At least in the one linked you had absolutely no choice in that quest, you had to take that quest, and do it the way your told.  Maybe it was that one quest but it was the one i saw.

That was the beginning tutorial. It was the first part of the Personal Storyline.

Generally it looks nice and is an over all improvement over the generic quests being given and it's possible i'm spioled by a certain companies games when it comes to these things, but i sadly wasn't impressed.

Of course it's a work in progress so i won't judge my want of the game just yet, but i'm not impressed with the quest dialog so far.

I do believe i stated i know it's a work in progress, so i'm aware it's not done but i'm going off of what i saw.  I can't go off what i haven't saw.  All games are a work in progress but i was asked my opinion on the game and i gave it.  When (or if) they improve it, then i'll update my thoughts, but for now those are my thoughts.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Xeno326Xeno326 Member UncommonPosts: 77

Originally posted by nomss

I have not read OP, but if I'm not wrong, there is some discussion about the 2.5D cinematics. Now I have been keeping up with GW2 really well and love almost all aspects, but this 2.5D cinematics is bothering the hell out of me. ANet wants to be artistic, by all means, but why can't they do it with 3d space? Why 2.5d cinematics, why not 3d?

There is no true 3D graphics, because you are looking at 3D on a 2D monitor. 2.5D is the illusion of 3D just like 3D gives the illusion its 3D, but its really just 2D in the end. That's the real answer to this.

When games are rendered by halographic equipment, then you can call that actual 3D, because it's in actual 3D space, not being displayed on a 2D screen.

Originally posted by Xeno326

There is no true 3D graphics, because you are looking at 3D on a 2D monitor. 2.5D is the illusion of 3D just like 3D gives the illusion its 3D, but its really just 2D in the end. That's the real answer to this.

When games are rendered by halographic equipment, then you can call that actual 3D, because it's in actual 3D space, not being displayed on a 2D screen.

GW2 is playable in 3D. It was done during PAX East, PAX Prime and Gamescon.

Originally posted by Xeno326

GW2 is playable in 3D. It was done during PAX East, PAX Prime and Gamescon.

I'm not talking about using a 2D screen that has 3D vision, using 3D vision glasses. Not that kind of 3D.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Sounds like the OP doesn't like the art style and direction. Perhaps a game like Tera is more your style? Or any game that has pre rendered cinematics I suppose. It's all subjective and GW2 won't be for everyone, I mean not everyone likes Picasso or Monet or Leonardo da Vinci. Does it make them bad? No, it just means we all have different tastes.

Originally posted by arenasb

Sounds like the OP doesn't like the art style and direction. Perhaps a game like Tera is more your style? Or any game that has pre rendered cinematics I suppose. It's all subjective and GW2 won't be for everyone, I mean not everyone likes Picasso or Monet or Leonardo da Vinci. Does it make them bad? No, it just means we all have different tastes.

exactly, after watching the above 3 videos. I'm liking the direction GW2 is going, the in-game looks great. I also like Tera's style too, but I don't know about the combat so much. Regardless though I'll probably be playing both at some point and I'm still waiting for Diablo 3.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by Wizardry

These videos are here to give people a better understanding of of what GW2 is trying to do,i will give my comments and then you can judge for yourself.

starting character

My personal take is this is nothing new and rather boring,see if you get bored after listening to the guy a bit.Personally i don't like surprises,i think most want to have better control of their player.Notice the cinematics,i think they look very bad,they defend their poor efforts by saying they went for that look because they prefer artistic over photorealistic.Well we have heard that before [Wow]my take is that is not good art ,looks more like 2d paper cutouts,imo looks bad,but judge for yourself.Opening story is rather cheesey as well :/.

Entering game

Ok here he confirms what i already said in last paragraph.Starts by telling you are entering a great piece of artwork...except,then he clicks the npc and you see this awful looking green hue outlining the npc,kinda makes it look fake again and not very eye pleasing.I think the cinematic story telling again looks real cheap and just plain bad or not?

Important points...scenery looks really nice,but characters are VERY low poly.Once again  an ugly red hue around targeted mob.Notice a VERY empty world,too much is pushing to a linear story to follow,doesn't look like you could do anything but follow the linear path.

I am not so sure what they are calling environment interaction is that,looks more like just an emote triggering some mobs to spawn.IDK does it look very well done for the immersion factor?

IMO the narrator is really stretching to make things sound better than they really are.

MOST important part is that their so called DYNAMIC events,are really just npc's waiting to trigger a quest with a green marker over their heads.

hi level thief

Ok here we have thief using guns,notice she doesn't seem to miss at all.So narrator is trying to convey about strategic combat with the dodging,yet the player is never missing a shot,kinda counterproductive if you never miss.I find again the red and yellow hue around targeting really ruins the immersion and looks bad.

IDK,i think after watching the 3 videos that basically take you through the entire scope of the game from creation to entering to high level,i am not sold on the game being as hyped as it is.

Feel free to offer your own comments,if you think the videos do the game justice or you agree with me and that it doesn't really look that good.

Terible comentator i quit watching becouse he is irritating stutter chaotic and not realy clear in what he is telling lol amateur:P

Same old boring classes that already excist in hundredrs of other mmo's they just copy what others already have.

Ugly dx9.0c graphics in 2011 this cant be true right?

Game will bring nothing new to themepark genre only positive things its free to play. I quit watching when i saw girl took first quest hunt down 3x wild animals OMG you gotta be kidding me, not only where graphics ugly its a typical themepark like in last 10years already done just BORING same ol same ol gameplay.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• Sain34Sain34 Member UncommonPosts: 293

The game looks fine to me, I didn't see anything inovative like they are claiming but all devs claim that they are "inovating". The graphics look fine, however I thought the voice acting was atrocious and they guy giving the pressentation made me want to eat a bullet.

Originally posted by Sain34

The game looks fine to me, I didn't see anything inovative like they are claiming but all devs claim that they are "inovating". The graphics look fine, however I thought the voice acting was atrocious and they guy giving the pressentation made me want to eat a bullet.

what is innovative?

what is innovative?

Innovative is taking something and improving upon it while adding your own twist to it. Anybody who know what innovation means would know that ArenaNet are innovating.

What a lot of people want is invention. Inventing is making something completely knew.

what is innovative?

Innovative is taking something and improving upon it while adding your own twist to it. Anybody who know what innovation means would know that ArenaNet are innovating.

What a lot of people want is invention. Inventing is making something completely knew.

I know exactly what it is, I'm asking him what it is.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Originally posted by blueturtle13

I am intrigued by GW2 but really only because of all the claims to make a game for all players. They may just be meh at all the things instead of great at a few things.

I think if you are into hardcore raiding then it won't be the game for you. Or if you like to gank in pvp.

• karbonistakarbonista Member UncommonPosts: 78

Forum PvP 101:  if the OP says something controversial, and has no posts in the thread past the first page, treat it as if it were a troll and move on.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

meh, I don't really see what you have against the game...  Most of your complaints arise from how it looks in the vids, and I personally think the art is very aesthetically pleasing and the in-game graphics are high-end for what's out now, while still being in production.

Was not impressed with those useless 'storybuilding' traits the guy was so happy about during the character creation process though.  FFXIV was big on those and we all know how that turned out =/  Not saying you can't have 'em, but don't brag about it and rely on it to make up for any other shortcomings.

Your third concern doesn't even make sense because the video clearly shows the character dodging attacks from mobs - which was the point of the video you tried to dismiss.  If you meant to stretch the meaning and say in a PvP environment, another character might not be able to dodge those same bullets, it'd just be speculation about how the mechanics might turn out in the future.

All in all, I think the game is off to a good start, but I haven't really seen anything that would convince me of it being anything but a filler.  That's not saying much considering I was in love with TCoS and Aion before I got around to playing them.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Wizardry

No dude,i watched the videos,then formed an unbiased opinion.

No offense, but if you are a human, which I think you are, there is almost no chance you can form an unbiased opinion, no matter how hard we are try, its just not possible with human and unbias.

Notice i did say the scenery looked really good,i give credit whre it is do ,i don't just attack a poster because it might be a game i am a fanbois of.

I thought with a lot of people just throwing out anything,some videos that actuall yshow the real GW2 would be better to mull over with opinions.

As i said the cinematics look real bad,even the narrator says they are not great looking and tries to defend his reason why [artistic over photorealistic],so don't jump all over me saying it is not noticeable.You are free to say it looks fine,i just think it looks cheap.If it wasn't obvious the narrator wouldn't have got defensive.

Guild Wars concept art actually are award winning art by award winning artist, I doubt they are bad in majority of people's eyes.

As for they cinematics, I watched the ones you showed in your opening post, I never heard the narrator say "they are not great looking" so much for unbiased right?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.