Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a nice legal question about divorce

huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210

i dont usally watch soaps but yesterday i watched coronation street  (UK) and it raised a interesting question . these two people were going to sign the financial settlement in the afternoon . the man gets a scratch card in the morning and wins £200k . now since he does not have the money at the time would he get to keep it since they have already divided the assets of the marridge only need a signiture . anyone want a stab at it ?

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I don't know about in the UK but in the US if that happened it wouldn't matter that the assets were already divided. If the Judge hadn't finalized the divorce yet she would be entitled to half. Of course divorce laws do vary slightly from state to state so it may be different in places like Nevada that have very loosely defined divorce laws. You can get a divorce in like 15 minutes in Las Vegas...It's like the McDonalds of Marriage and Divorce. LOL

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Originally posted by huntersam

i dont usally watch soaps but yesterday i watched coronation street  (UK) and it raised a interesting question . these two people were going to sign the financial settlement in the afternoon . the man gets a scratch card in the morning and wins £200k . now since he does not have the money at the time would he get to keep it since they have already divided the assets of the marridge only need a signiture . anyone want a stab at it ?

Well, if he tells about it before they finalize the papers it's split in half. If he keeps his mouth shut and then it's finalized and then he says he scratched it after the divorce was finalized he might get away with keeping it all. I guess the question would be is there proof he purchased the scratcher before they were divorced. Secondly, is he in possesion of the money if he doesn't scratch it, know one knows if it is a big money winner or a bust until after he scratches it off.

My guess there is always proof of purchase of these things so she will get half. They would rule not knowing it was worth money or not is no excuse, he was in possesion of the card prior to the divorce she gets half.

He should just keep his mouth shut and cash it in about 3 weeks later. Those scratchers are usually good for either 30 days to 6 months if not longer.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

California divorce laws are ridiculi.

You *need* a solid pre-nup. I know a marine who'se wife got pregnant while he was out on a mission, only to return, file for divorce, and get stuck with child support payments for the next 18 years (on top of the half of the assets split).

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture