Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kid's Game?

Well just saw the new trailer. Looks ok except for combat. There's some lightsaber play and then the loser just falls over? No limbs coming off, no blood? Yawn. Considering most Star Wars fans are adults; it kinda sucks they are selling out for the little kid audience. Not looking for heavy gore or anything... even just like the movies would be ok.... but no.

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Dismemberment = "M" rating from the ESRB = less sales.

It sucks, yes, but we've reached the point where games and movies shoot for money not content.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Limbs were very rarely shown being amputated in the star wars movies, and as far as blood goes, none, in any movie.  So your point is invalid, star wars has never been about these things and shouldnt be.

C

• shadowfallenshadowfallen Member Posts: 5

Lightsabers cauterize when they cut... that being said he should have fell into pieces...

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

You have to be careful when you go into the gore content as it can ruin your chances of a "Teen" rating pretty quick if you don't.  The rules from the ESRB are very vague and open to interpretation so keeping the gore down is generally safer.  Mind you, there is a big difference in human (like) on human (like) vioelnce and gore, compared to games like Halo or WoW where the enemy is clearly a fictional and "monstrous" enemy.

I do agree they could show some more gore though to be honest for realisms sake.  Keep in mind though, that while the heart of the Star Wars audience may be adults, the heart of the group playing this game ( as it is with most MMOs) will be in their early to mid teens most likely (13 - 17).

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Originally posted by mrshroom89

Limbs were very rarely shown being amputated in the star wars movies, and as far as blood goes, none, in any movie.  So your point is invalid, star wars has never been about these things and shouldnt be.

In EPIV, when Obi dismembers the cantina guy's arm, there was definitely blood around the arm. 

• ArentasArentas Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by GMan3

I do agree they could show some more gore though to be honest for realisms sake.  Keep in mind though, that while the heart of the Star Wars audience may be adults, the heart of the group playing this game ( as it is with most MMOs) will be in their early to mid teens most likely (13 - 17).

The average age of an MMO player is in their low-mid 20s, and that average age continues to increase as first generation MMO players get older

This game is likely to have a even older base since A) its Starwars B)its a Bioware game, which means an emphasis on story.

The average playerbase age hasn't been in the teens for about 10 years now.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by Praxus

Well just saw the new trailer. Looks ok except for combat. There's some lightsaber play and then the loser just falls over? No limbs coming off, no blood? Yawn. Considering most Star Wars fans are adults; it kinda sucks they are selling out for the little kid audience. Not looking for heavy gore or anything... even just like the movies would be ok.... but no.

There main goal is to please the mass so family young boys prolly main target with colors fast action fast gameplay not much thinking prolly full of instance battlegrounds arenas all what these days sell thats most importend.

So in away yes kids game.

Deep complex gameplay  a real RPG mmo and mature game no way:(

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Originally posted by Arentas

The average age of an MMO player is in their low-mid 20s, and that average age continues to increase as first generation MMO players get older

This game is likely to have a even older base since A) its Starwars B)its a Bioware game, which means an emphasis on story.

I think you may be confusing the averge age of a WoW player or in other words for an established game, Arentas.  I read an article on this in the last year or so and it was saying new games tend to have a much lower starting age base than more established games.  If I remember right it was stating it was mostly due to player loyalty, but I don't remember for sure.  When I can get my "Search Foo" working I will post a link, if there is one, but the article I read was in a magazine at my dentists office, so not sure.

I do have to admit this game *may* end up with an older average player base though because of the Star Wars nature of the audience.  Guess we will have to wait and see.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by Arentas

Why they make cartoon mmos then and color up the games with childish characters symplified the gameplay to extreme becouse those so called growups can play it and like it?

Its still main target under 20 and alot familys that play these games.

War WoW GW2 RIFT SWtor mainly the themeparks, are all for young gamers and family as there main customers.

Nothing wrong with that becouse still mmo's less popular offcorse but more for the older and more demanding gamer we have games like EVE Darkfall Xyson Ryzom and prolly also AoC and some others.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

It's a WoW clone in space. What did you expect? Depth? Realism?

lol.

Best way to deter this "trend" in mmo's is to not buy the rubbish. they spent 100mil U.S on it. I really hope they dont even get close to making a profit yet alone recoup costs. 

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Here we go blaming the kids, even though any adult could count us as kids as well when looking at our constant whining and flaming.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by karmath

It's a WoW clone in space. What did you expect? Depth? Realism?

lol.

Best way to deter this "trend" in mmo's is to not buy the rubbish. they spent 100mil U.S on it. I really hope they dont even get close to making a profit yet alone recoup costs. 

You're too late if you want to stop "WoW clones" or better said themepark MMO's, Rift sold great for a typical WoW-style themepark MMORPG, just as other themepark MMO's like Aion and such before. There is not emerging trend, WoW-style themepark MMORPG's have been the most sold and the most played for years now.

Sorry, pal, life must suck if you dislike themepark MMORPG's; but you can always buy Xsyon or wait another 1.5-2 years for a new AAA sandbox MMORPG to arrive.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Praxus

Cartoon and blood does not go very well hand in hand :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

As we all know M rated games are always the better games.  Thats why they do so well and are always on the top of the MMO market.  Thats also why KOTOR and KOTOR 2 were both M rated as well and why SWTOR should be rated M so that we can have dismemberment and blood like the Star Wars movies.  Which were all rated R,  but the way.

And if the game doesn't have bewbs I won't playz it,  lolzorz.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

{mod edit}

Life must be great if the world is just thugs and saints. We and they. Anything I think would be a PROPER answer to this posting would just get me a ban. So we leave it with the comment that I find that reply CHILDISH.

As to the topic at hand: It's ridiculous. Kids today have likely seem everything from the most gross sexual pics to the most ugly dismemberments, I bet a fortune, if I had one, kids these days have seen it all already. It is, if I may say so, a FALSE idea of childhood anyway that it needs to be protected. As if kids were some endangered species. Biologically the human brain is fully capabale and like that of an adult with 10. Period. Thats a scientific FACT. Kids are sexualla mature average between 10 and 12. Childhood as the West sees it is a cultural invention that in no part is based on actualy developments of kids and this idea kids need to be lied to (Santa Claus!) is something I always find odd. I am sure no kid in 2011 is shocked to see some pixel blood or dismemberment from Jedi. Any kid old enough that the STORIES make sense to them, say 10 years+, is old enough to only laugh about, say, Dragon Age style blood and gore.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Wot? It's almost an insider joke that in any good Star Wars story, someone has to lose a hand.

Luke from Vader

Anakin from Dooku

Dooku from Anakin

Mace from Anakin

Old Obi-Wan from Cantina dude

Anakin from Obi-Wan (legs)

and of course Jango Fett loses a head from Mace Windu

There is barely a SW movie where NOT some limbs are chopped!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Alot

Here we go blaming the kids, even though any adult could count us as kids as well when looking at our constant whining and flaming.

Very Good Point!

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181

I am not sure why they can't have different versions. I'm no game coder but I would think that the kill animations must be client side. I would like to see more realism in games in general and this doesn't seem like it would be that hard to pull off.

• SeanalexSeanalex Member UncommonPosts: 45

Originally posted by maskedweasel

As we all know M rated games are always the better games.  Thats why they do so well and are always on the top of the MMO market.  Thats also why KOTOR and KOTOR 2 were both M rated as well and why SWTOR should be rated M so that we can have dismemberment and blood like the Star Wars movies.  Which were all rated R,  but the way.

All the movies with the exception of Revenge of the Sith were rated PG. Revenge of the Sith was rated PG-13, please get your facts straight before you attempt to make a cogent argumant.

Played - EQ 1/2, WoW, SWG, SWTOR, GW 1/2 UO, STO, CO, DCUO, AO, Rift.

Originally posted by Seanalex

All the movies with the exception of Revenge of the Sith were rated PG. Revenge of the Sith was rated PG-13, please get your facts straight before you attempt to make a cogent argumant.

Thank you for correcting me.  I had absolutely no idea.

I think he was being sarcastic, though he should have ended his post with a "/sarcasm" remark.

• jimbo833jimbo833 Member Posts: 158

Tell me any MMO that has limbs flying of on 1 hit and blood everywere?

• SeanalexSeanalex Member UncommonPosts: 45

I didn't know I was trying to talk to Sheldon Cooper.

/sarcasm

Played - EQ 1/2, WoW, SWG, SWTOR, GW 1/2 UO, STO, CO, DCUO, AO, Rift.

I think he was being sarcastic, though he should have ended his post with a "/sarcasm" remark.

I don't usually do the /sarcasm,  if I use sarcasm I try and make it so obtuse and lay it on so thick you can cut it with a knife.  I failed this time apparently. image

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by grimal

In EPIV, when Obi dismembers the cantina guy's arm, there was definitely blood around the arm. 

That was the exception, not the rule. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft