Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The monsters in The Secret World...

MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

The Secret World isn't like any other MMORPG when it comes to its lore and world. It doesn't take place in some medieval-type fantasy world with fancy elves, dwarves, hobbits and the like, neither does it take place in some distant future with the run-of-the-mill laser weapons and robots and such.

TSW is our time. It is our world. But then a world that is plagued by all the myths and legends and horrors that have been told throughout the known history of mankind and beyond; not just made up stories as most of the world population believes they are, but very much real. There is magic and ancient powers. But also modern day science.  It stands to reason that also the creatures encountered in TSW aren't your typical fantasy and scifi creatures.

These are the monsters and creatures that have been identified so far:

Draug

The Norsemen who fought in the Darkness War paid a great price for their victory.

None of the boats that set off from the North American coast would return home with their crew unchanged. Some would not return at all, but those that did would travel through the roiling fogbanks and alien weed stretching out from that accursed sea-grave: the Filth manifested, gathering under their fingernails like soot, catching in their throats like smoke, running fingers through their nightmares. And in their nightmares, it found the tales of the Draug.

By the time they returned to their coastal villages, the Vikings had fallen sick, and the sickness spread despite the administering of their dreamspeakers and shamans: worse, it overcame them, too, in their trances. In the course of weeks the once-thriving villages were left abandoned, for outsiders to wonder what had drawn them all out to sea. It was the call of the darkness, gathering its newfound instruments, bringing them back to escalate the physical and mental changes in their bodies beneath the waves. Not dead, but now consumed by some horrible unlife, these Draug shed their old skins in the brine to grew tougher, colder flesh. The matter they sloughed off in the primordial deep joined with the Filth weed, coalescing into new forms, colonies and pods that supported their new, unnatural reproductive cycle. 

In the years to come, they would prey on seafaring nations - the cause of a hundred ghost ship tales - drowning the crews, putting them to work as slaves and eventual material for the creation of new Draug. Now, the Draug are on the warpath, empowered by the activity of commanding whispers and dark dreams...

Undead - Zombie Hulk

When the impenetrable fog pulled back from Kingsmouth and Solomon Island - becoming instead a wall around the island - there were few survivors left. Everyone else had vanished; pulled, by some pale-skinned Pied Piper, into the ocean, leaving behind tables set for dinner, idling cars, TVs showing only static, and a thousand unanswered questions.

At first, there was only the distant crying of white gulls, the quiet push and pull of the ocean, and that impossible wall on the horizon: churning, impenetrable, deadly. The few who remained behind banded together, most of them, building safe nests in the eye of the storm. Waiting for some sign, some resolution. For life, or for death.

Then the others came back, all of them.

video file 1: the Kingsmouth tragedy

Scarecrow

With their puppet-masters gone, the Scarecrows have been sleeping a pitch black, dreamless sleep...until now.

From the ruins of a cursed family rose the Scarecrow animated; undead guardians made from terrible instructions in grim tomes and dark grimoires, imbued with the fresh organs of human prey, hay sprinkled with unguents and oils, and clothes stitched with horrid runes. Willed into existence with whispered words of fear and hatred, they were single-minded in their mission. When their terrible master passed on, they fell into a deep sleep.

Spectres

Spectres are here in flesh and bone, and they are mad.

Spectres are the victims of violent and unfair death who have chosen - or been forced - to return to the world for a time: some as spiteful troublemakers, others more miserably searching for warmth to ease their eternal cold.

Golem

In Jewish folklore, a golem is an animated anthropomorphic being, created entirely from inanimate matter. The word was used to mean an amorphous, unformed material in Psalms and medieval writing. The most famous golem narrative involves Judah Loew ben Bezalel, the late 16th century chief rabbi of Prague.

Revenant

Drawn to suffering and pain, Revenants are said to be comprised of a multitude of ravens and are the work of the death toll and misery from the Black Plague.

encounter with a Revenant

The Filth

Something sinister and poisonous is creeping out of the rising darkness, spreading it's shadow across the lands and cities of this world. A taint on the landscape that corrupts everything it encounters. An unspoken horror known only as The Filth.

Exactly what The Filth is, remains unclear. Is it a creature? An infection? Or is it a malevolent entity that is directing the rising darkness which threatens to engulf the world? It may be all of the above. What IS known as of now is that The Filth is one of the main occurring significant enemies to be fought off by the 3 major secret societies, and one the main heralds of the dark days that are coming. The Filth manifests as a black tentacle entity that takes hold of humans and causes them to change into creatures of violence and madness.

Draug Lord

video file 2: the Draug Lord in action

Vampires

-- Unconfirmed vampire camp --

Clustre of spectres  (hive? Legion?)

Jack o' Lantern

"Pumpkin pumpkin big and round, I'm glad you grow upon the ground. I'm glad you don't grow in a tree, for then you might fall down on me".

An innocent enough children's rhyme, but not one too be sung on Halloween. To attract the ire of Jack O'Lantern would indeed mean your downfall.

Jack O'Lantern is a powerful villain, a twisted humanoid visage of rotting pumpkins, vines, and decaying vegetation. His feet are like tree roots, worming their way into the ground as we walks. An awesome and terrible sight to behold. One potentially recent sighting was made by 'P.G'. in an area we think could be Kingsmouth itself

Dinosaur

video file 3: dinosaur in motion

The source of this trove of information and pictures is located here and here.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Comments

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

love the spectre

• rmasonrmason Member Posts: 140

It takes a lot for me to get hyped up about a game, but from the little info we have actually gotten I am pretty excited. 500 individual skills, faction pvp (If I recall correctly 3 faction pvp). Modern world with sci-fi/high fantasy mixture.

Yes please.

I am also excited for World of Darkness, but that is just because it is CCP making it.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Looks so amazing. Thanks for these.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

You're welcome.

And yeah, I like the spectres too. They remind me of the J-horror movie The Ring, where the faces of those people that had seen the videotape and got cursed became distorted in pictures and such.

But overall I like the wide and varied selection of genuinely new and different types of mobs compared to the ones we usually encounter in MMO's.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

Great variety!  And, I'll throw in another vote for the Spectre.  Great look!

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Nice writeup Maverick. 

I want to thank and curse you at the same time.  Well done.

• LaruhtrapasLaruhtrapas Member Posts: 8

Draug Lord or what ever he may be called. I know his real name.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,

And with strange æons, even death may die.

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

Oh what fun it would be if they only own the IP.

Originally posted by Daffid011

Nice writeup Maverick. 

I want to thank and curse you at the same time.  Well done.

Hehe, thanks. Then my job is done image

Originally posted by Laruhtrapas

Draug Lord or what ever he may be called. I know his real name.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,

And with strange æons, even death may die.

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

Oh what fun it would be if they only own the IP.

Ah yes, in his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits, dreaming.

Well, they might not have the IP, but since Lovecraft among a few was a major inspiration for TSW, I think they might be coming close in some ways image

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Undead Zombie Hulk... Resident Evil anyone?

This game looks pretty awesome!

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by sassoonss

love the spectre

Agreed.

They're my favorite so far... they're so wonderfully *creepy*. I love how the concept pics have their face in various states of distortion... and how they cluster together in another pic.

The distorted bit reminds me of a scene from John Carpenter's version of The Thing.

It's not a complete picture of it... but here's half the "thing-person" face...  The other half is off the top of the screen in that shot:

Here's another shot of its creator holding the "prop" of it...

Other than that...  Always wanted my very own of one of  these...

Ain't he/she/it adorable?

Seriously though... some of the stuff in TSW has that sorta "creepy" feel to them, like the spectres.

As an aside... John Carpenter's take on The Thing is an awesome movie. Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Classic sci-fi/horror.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by sassoonss

love the spectre

Agreed.

They're my favorite so far... they're so wonderfully *creepy*. I love how the concept pics have their face in various states of distortion... and how they cluster together in another pic.

The distorted bit reminds me of a scene from John Carpenter's version of The Thing.

When I first saw the concept art, it made me think of the J-horror movie Ringu (The Ring), where the faces of those that became cursed got all distorted in every picture of them. It got that same vibe.

Now, if they can have small girl-like spectres with long black hair in TSW like in those Japanese horror movies The Grudge and The Ring and that also sound and move as freakishly as in those movies, it'll be complete image