Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population of resubs?

2»

Comments

• GnatBugGnatBug Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by EveJunkie

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by crunchyblack

Originally posted by emota

Originally posted by unclemo

The DEV's have repeatedly stated that subs continue to pour in faster than they expected.  Our corporation gets applications from new players constantly.  In fact, I have yet to talk to any of our corp members that have decided not to resub - that is to say, the core members that I actually know.

I think we can safely dispense with the "Perpetuum is dieing" rhetoric.  This is a niche game that is intended to draw an audience that likes steeper learning curve.  While I'm sure the WoW fanbois will scamper off back to the familiar and safe surroundings of Azorth (or whatever it's called) Perpetuum will continue to draw an attentive, appreciative playerbase.

Absolutely correct.

We have all seen avatar creations team.

Its literally just a bunch of dudes.

No big corporation with high overhead costs.

They will need considerably less subscriptions than wow  to be more than successfull

But a game still needs a population. Especially a game like this.

EVE Online became succesful as the population has always been on the rise ever since it released and has always a significant number of players online.

Perpetuum Online is already down from 600-700 to a mere 300-350 average online.  That's really not a good sign at all.

It's nice for the devs that they made 15000 initial sales and got some income. But it means absolutely nothing if they can't keep people subscribed for the longterm. And that seems to be the very case at the moment.

And sadly. If they can't get their act together and manage to move the server to a more central and much better location within Europe (like the Data Center in Amsterdam, The Netherlands for example, that already houses many MMO servers). Then I won't see this game even make it till coming summer.

When Eve launched they had only 3.5K subs and that dropped at the end of the first month. Many folks cried doom for the game but CCP stuck at it and we all know how successful it has become now 7 years down the line.

If you are counting the number of people online by the numbers in general chat, don't. Most people I know and play with don't idle in that channel any more, there are a lot more folks online than the channel count indicates.

Hopefully now they've made some money they'll invest it wisely in better hosting and a few more staff. Their current running costs are TINY compaired to most MMO's the money they've made from just the launch could run the game for years.

I dont agree with this... I played EvE from Beta ... Subbed in 2003 and i still play! I remember when the game opened with 3K and i never saw negative growth. ... I remember when it hit 5K in the third month and My corpies "Alpha Corp" at the time said WOW ... and it just climbed from there up to today...

I dont see the same trend in PERP... instead i see a Decrease in Active players ... so ..either poeple are subbing and not playing ..or they hide in the lobby!

Sorry m8t .. but i think this game needs more work!

• WarbsWarbs Member Posts: 245

The player base is actually growing from when i signed up @ release day there where less than 4k forum members now there are just under 7k in one which is not bad  sure active players has gone down but there are constantlly new players trying out tthe game and the strong result i Best new game reward will do wonders 

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

Most games do after release. That is the thing about MMOs they always need work, bugs fixed more tools or content etc.

Originally posted by Gremrod

Most games do after release. That is the thing about MMOs they always need work, bugs fixed more tools or content etc.

hmmm So true ...

• lojiklojik Member Posts: 38

Don't forget guys we are still really in the holiday season, allot of familys would have gone abroad or like my family gone up north to the beach batch and stayed there the last 2 weeks. I have only just got back home and havn't got round to spending my EP yet, don't discount this game yet :)

I have subbed two accounts for perpetuum for a year each, why!! becuase I believe that this game will grow and eventaully have a large and stable community, And for me its an investment, plus if it does last a year and grow i have only payed $5 per month for each account which in my books is a bargin.

"In conflict, straightforward actions generally lead to engagement, surprising actions generally lead to victory." - Sun Tzu

Yes, a lot of people have left for 2 or more weeks for the holidays. Plus there is always a drop in subs in any mmo after first month.

No worried one bit here TBH.

• DrokarDrokar Member Posts: 91

Yes, a lot of people have left for 2 or more weeks for the holidays. Plus there is always a drop in subs in any mmo after first month.
    No worried one bit here TBH.

I was actually in M2S :p I went back to eve after my four accounts expired in perp. Game was fun to a point, but in the end I just felt it waa not worth my money past first month. Grem I know u were a GM and I hope this game does ok but it just not for me anymore. It will always be compared with eve and in a negative way just cuz it was the first to do so blatantly. I'm a little drunk so sorry for misspells. Thanks for auto spell haha.

Just logged in again ...

And the game is loosing active players. Its a new game so you expect the new areas to be populated ...which it is not. I am not sure why the game did not achieve more success!

Maybe it tried to take on EvE but only offered a quick fix and no longlivity. Anyway my corpies are all back in EvE so out of the 8 who tried it we had 13 accounts all in all and nobody is going back untill they add more diversity.

Good luck to them!

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by GnatBug

Just logged in again ...

And the game is loosing active players. Its a new game so you expect the new areas to be populated ...which it is not. I am not sure why the game did not achieve more success!

Maybe it tried to take on EvE but only offered a quick fix and no longlivity. Anyway my corpies are all back in EvE so out of the 8 who tried it we had 13 accounts all in all and nobody is going back untill they add more diversity.

Good luck to them!

Same as in my corp.

Kinda sad.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Draftbeer

Originally posted by GnatBug
    Just logged in again ...
    Good luck to them!
    Same as in my corp.
    Kinda sad.

Quite funny when you consider their latest iteration of 'anti-blob' mechanics and more to come... That is what I call wasted development time.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

Population is at an all time low right now and declining weekly.

There is just not enough content and badly concieved patches.

This game has at most 6 months left in it until it shuts down unless the devs get their fingers out and do some drastic changes.

They need to speed up development and content patches immediately.

Originally posted by Vortigon

This game has at most 6 months left in it until it shuts down unless the devs get their fingers out and do some drastic changes.

I have read this statement on  just about every mmo game I have played. One of them being MO and it is still hanging on even with all the damn bugs it has.

I have read this statement on  just about every mmo game I have played. One of them being MO and it is still hanging on even with all the damn bugs it has.

I didn't think the state of the game is that bad to be compared to Mortal Online...

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by Vortigon

They should realy consider introducing free trial. I know devs said they are respecting wishes of other players and don't want to see "wow chat" in their game, but i'm not subing to a game before trying it first, though i am quite intrigued to perpetuum. EvE for example is trying to introduce the game to as many people as possible, and even if only 1 in 20 stays that is enough. They just lay out the bait and wait for people to grab it.

On the other note, they should realy expand payment options. Paypal is fine, but adding mastercard and visa option should not be that big of a problem, and most of people are using those options to play mmo's with.

Originally posted by Gdemami

I didn't think the state of the game is that bad to be compared to Mortal Online...

No, I would not compare Perp wiht MO, oh hell no. But when I hear people say that this game is going to be gon in six months I like to point out MO.

MO is a mess!!!!!!!!!!, but people are still playing it.

Perpetuum, is not a mess and the best beta I have been in and best release too.

• yahtzardyahtzard Member UncommonPosts: 36

For what it is I think it's well worth it.

After the initial pop the general chat was hovering up around 300, it now hovers around 200  and is at 275 on a Saturday afternoon as I write this... many of those I speak to have become less active and adopted a wait and see attitude. The game has a solid foundation upon which to build and while I don't predict it breaking out, I think it may simmer and grow into a sleeper hit.

Things are still being changed and tweaked and min/maxers may be prone to rage quit.  However, when i think about the complete garbage in a box releases I've subbed up for over the past few years I have to say everything here works... that doesn't mean it won't be changed or tweaked but nothing is game breakingly unbalanced or bugged, the servers don't crash and they're not taken down twice a weak for emergency patches (they're in Hungary and lag/DC's were common but seem to have been addressed by they're ISP). Compared to other MMO releases that I've been a part of, it has exceeded my expectations.  On the other hand don't expect to be overwhelmed by a massive gameworld and a cornicopia of broken features and content.  Join a corp and get involved with the player base or your going to get bored fast.

As for comparisons with EVE, I'm not sure it's accurate or fair.  Reguarding fairness, EVE has been actively upgrading, tweaking, growing and expanding for 7 years now and they deserve accolades but as someone who arrived to the party late, I could never get into it and I would never catch up.  As for accuracy, I've been gaming online since text based MUD's were the only thing around and games like EVE and WOW, while wildly popular and the epitome of their genres, were not original when released and still aren't now.

I mean break it down, what do PO and EVE have in common.  Sci-fi theme, not new.  "Paper Doll" equipment screen limited by attributes and slots, remember D&D? An in depth complex skill tree and player driven economy, anyone remember SWG before SOE bought it from the indy's and nerfed it into the trash bin because they thought the learning curve was too steep? The only EVE like thing that I see is the real time skill progression, which PO improves but not requireing me to set my alarm clock to que up skills.

But when I hear people say that this game is going to be gon in six months I like to point out MO.

In other words you say that if as 'bad' game as MO can float around, PO can do as well.

It is rather fitting, albeit nor very complimentary.

Originally posted by Gdemami

But when I hear people say that this game is going to be gon in six months I like to point out MO.

In other words you say that if as 'bad' game as MO can float around, PO can do as well.

It is rather fitting, albeit nor very complimentary.

Yes, you arec correct. Bad choice of words on my part.

Originally posted by alexanys1982
    I downloaded the trial, it seems cool except for the fact trial accounts can only use the little spider mechs. Either way robots are cool.

Trial is OK but market restrictions are unreasonable and unnecessary but fair enough, it's their choice.

The biggest problem of trial accounts is lack of NIC. The only way to purchase ammo is via NPC orders and that's extremely expensive because Assignment rewards and Kernel buy out prices are very, leaving you barely making enough NIC to pay for your ammo spent on the Assignment.

If not counting tutorial rewards, the best way to get a light bot(the best robot and only upgrade you can make on trial accounts) is to run transport assignments for full 3 hours :-/

Whole new player experience is unbelievably messed up. Shame on devs introducing trial offers before fixing it first.

• yahtzardyahtzard Member UncommonPosts: 36

I haven't been active since midterms started but, unless they've changed something or trial accounts are severely restricted there are a series of 10 starter missions that you can do from your main station.  The final reward is a light mech... worth about 350k.  Early on people were farming the into missions by creating and deleting alt's on there existing accounts so the mission may be restricted for that reason.

Whats left of the community are good solid players that will most likely help you with ammo and a light bot as long as you don't whine or beg.  Try the help or recruitment channels, consider joining a player corp right off the bat... they will have the resources and the knowledge to help get you up to speed and enjoying the game faster.

Transport missions are ok once you've invested in a sequer and some support skills... but unless your focused on industry don't waste the EP.  Instead, strip your arke down to nothing but a Light Weight Frame (LWF) and a geoscanner and go to Daoden.  Take the geo missions Luna and Cyrus, run to dot... scan... run to other dot... scan... repeat.  Very easy, Very boring but with decent navigation skills you can earn 600k per hour... So in one hour of grind you can buy a light bot and a decent amount of ammo to go with it.

Hope this helps, if you need more help in game try contacting Ember or Ptolemy.