Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR from a pvp aspect of view?

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

Worth buying for the pvp? Or is it mainly pve?

Comments

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I'm not a huge SW:ToR fan, but I've been following it here and there.

PvP, from what I recall, will both be open world (on certain servers) and have a Battlegrounds instanced style option. There is some debate as to wether or not companions will play a part in these Battlegrounds (I am sure Bioware calls them something else, I'm just using Battlegrounds as a generic term).

I am sure someone more devoted to the game than I will come around and correct/add anything I might have missed.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

Well a friend of mine that tries to talk me into playing this says that there will be not so much PvP :P

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Open world pvp on pvp servers = yummie.

There will also be battlegrounds.

There have been announcements about there being more information on the world pvp side of SWTOR soon.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Well a friend of mine that tries to talk me into playing this says that there will be not so much PvP :P

From what the Devs have said, this game will have all the PvP you could ask for from any MMO.  PvP dedicated Servers, PvP zones in non-dedicated servers, "battlegrounds", the ability to level from PvP play alone, etc . . .  Now at this point they have only given details on one particular aspect of PvP, but then again, the details they have given dwarfs what many other games give for all of their PvP combined together on their websites.  Personally I am not a PvP type player, but what they have told us so far has me more than a little excited to check it out.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

It's possible that space combat will have PvP element in future, this should spice it up bit more. They have only showed one Battleground so far. It's likely that it will have maps with PvP zones like in WAR(remember Mythic is part of Bioware nowdays). Hopefully PvP will have some impact to world situation but not too much since not all people like PvP. If you think TOR will be like Darkfall or other PvP oriented games then you shouldn't bother buying TOR.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Sasami

It's possible that space combat will have PvP element in future, this should spice it up bit more. They have only showed one Battleground so far. It's likely that it will have maps with PvP zones like in WAR(remember Mythic is part of Bioware nowdays). Hopefully PvP will have some impact to world situation but not too much since not all people like PvP. If you think TOR will be like Darkfall or other PvP oriented games then you shouldn't bother buying TOR.

they would need to re-write the space combat in the game then as at the moment its a on raisl type arcade shooter..

Your flying along a pre-made path that you cant move from, you can move left right up and down... enemies fly from behind and then you shoot them... it should not have been added to the game.

But i am thinking more and more the rest of the game looks good :)

• i would just like to add that you can get exp from pvp

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20101217

Will a player be able to level up just playing PvP? (asked by metaspy)

Yes you will. We’re big fans of multiple gameplay paths – we don’t want to force you to do one thing to advance. That means you’ll level up whether you’re playing PvE or PvP.

only thing about this though is that i think it won't be from lvl 1to cap. i think you will need to leave your starter planet first

• Originally posted by Caldrin

Originally posted by Sasami

they would need to re-write the space combat in the game then as at the moment its a on raisl type arcade shooter..

Your flying along a pre-made path that you cant move from, you can move left right up and down... enemies fly from behind and then you shoot them... it should not have been added to the game.

But i am thinking more and more the rest of the game looks good :)

they wouldnt need to rewrite the whole thing just would have to add different zones for it specifically.  kinda like the starfox 64  pvp zones

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

There is open world pvp. This is not restricted to PvP servers, this just means there is pvp in the open world but restricted to certain areas. PvP servers will have many more areas open to pvp. There are also battlegrounds that vary in size, max size is currently unknown. There is PvP gear.

Not a whole load of information has been released on PvP. However it is done by Mythic (WAR) which ,while failed, is still one of the best RvR games I've played. So it should be worth it.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Jimmy562

There is open world pvp. This is not restricted to PvP servers, this just means there is pvp in the open world but restricted to certain areas. PvP servers will have many more areas open to pvp. There are also battlegrounds that vary in size, max size is currently unknown. There is PvP gear.

Not a whole load of information has been released on PvP. However it is done by Mythic (WAR) which ,while failed, is still one of the best RvR games I've played. So it should be worth it.

WAR system where map had PvP zones was great. I liked how you could move from PvE to PvP and back if got tired. Problem was that they copied it too much making every new map look same. Ofc there was other problems. Most likely there won't be anything like this in Origin worlds(since there is no other factions there) but I see whole Origin world as tutorial to game.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

I think the PvE servers will provide a good selection of PvP options. Sadly the full PvP servers will just turn into an arena fest and the whole point and background of the game will be lost.

Much better to enjoy the real game.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Isane

I think the PvE servers will provide a good selection of PvP options. Sadly the full PvP servers will just turn into an arena fest and the whole point and background of the game will be lost.

Much better to enjoy the real game.

I'm hoping for the same. If they stick close to WAR's PVE server settings, where you have some PVP lakes that auto-flag you (which would probably translate to "PVP planets" here), I just may play on a PVE server. 

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

In general it will be PVE and RP first everything else is a distraction or time sink to keep you occupied. Primarily its balanced on Raids like WOW is so you are going to have lopsided match ups and probably flavor of the month nerfs and patches so I wouldnt count on stable pvp just that the game will have it. Mainly it will be BGs though which are kind of lame and the real world pvp will be pretty well dead because everyone will be in raid ques and instantly teleporting from town to dungeon etc. They pretty much embraced the PVE crowd from the beginning so dont expect any great pvp experience, I suspect alot of burst and one shotting.