Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

damion schubert on friendly fire

DamionSchubert General Discussion -> No Friendly fire?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhinoplat View Post

Friendly fire has been in many MMO's:

Ultima Online

Shadowbane

Darkfall

Mortal Online

EvE online

I worked on Shadowbane - it had limited friendly fire. Of particular note, the Fury class was designed to have more powerful AoEs than any other class, but have this balanced out by having them hit everyone in the group. The end result was that Furies ended up being shunned by groups and guilds because unless they were played by the hands of a maestro, they were usually more of a liability than a benefit. Unsurprisingly, they were our least popular class.

We don't have friendly fire in The Old Republic for a simple reason: a lot of players are, well... idiots. I don't mean you, of course, dear reader, I mean those OTHER players. You know who I'm talking about.

purely awesome image

Comments

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

No truer statement has been said.

Groovy.

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

uhoh what about the people who don't think of others like idiots?

I want to own property too

• rlhegirarlhegira Member UncommonPosts: 36

So much truth in the statement.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by gamer1982o39

uhoh what about the people who don't think of others like idiots?

Their the idiots.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Appreciate his honesty. I normally go into new mmos thinking 40% will be idiots, 30% jerks, 20% oxygen thieves and the last 10% decent people.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Wow.. it takes a lot to truly make me laugh on a forum post.. but that did it. Absolutely awesome.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

ZOMG!!!!

i have no idea SWTOR has developer of Shadowbane ! (SB is my favourite mmo)

but he's right, mainstream MMO gamer will get frustrate and rage quit with friendy fire

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by iamjason1989

ZOMG!!!!

but he's right, mainstream MMO gamer will get frustrate and rage quit with friendy fire

This wasn't a known fact? hmm i must have missed this when i was announcing things.

Yeah he worked on Shadowbane,  it's not just all new developers, you got people from shadowbane and DAOC working on this game as well.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Originally posted by whilan

ZOMG!!!!

This wasn't a known fact? hmm i must have missed this when i was announcing things.

Yeah he worked on Shadowbane,  it's not just all new developers, you got people from shadowbane and DAOC working on this game as well.

yea alot of people just assume that its all people from biowares single player games but they have alot of people that have worked on mmos before

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by whilan

ZOMG!!!!

yea alot of people just assume that its all people from biowares single player games but they have alot of people that have worked on mmos before

I know Bioware Austin is new, tehy have a lot of Mythic and SWG guys

but to be honest i have no idea there are former Wolfpack studio developer in Bioware Austin

Pretty awesome for me, i am a BIG SB fan 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Well with friendly fire it works both ways of course. Generally ppl blame the person who hits the groupmember with friendly fire. But you also have idiots who keep kiting towards groupmembers that make it almost impossible not to hit with friendly fire. Ive seen this in shootergames with friendly fire.

I agree that this has no place in a tab auto-attack kind of game. Too many nongamers in these MMO's. Players who never played twitchbased games.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by someforumguy

Well with friendly fire it works both ways of course. Generally ppl blame the person who hits the groupmember with friendly fire. But you also have idiots who keep kiting towards groupmembers that make it almost impossible not to hit with friendly fire. Ive seen this in shootergames with friendly fire.

I agree that this has no place in a tab auto-attack kind of game. Too many nongamers in these MMO's. Players who never played twitchbased games.

And imagine the potential griefing: having only a few classes who are able to kill own faction members with a little creativity, and without a flagging system for the people who get hit to retaliate is not such a good idea. It only works with free for all pvp systems I guess.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Ah well, if this game did have friendly fire, I would have made sure to fire all your friendly butts ingame over and over.

And then blame it on you!

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

As much as I like the "Idea" of friendly fire in a game, I know it just would not work out for the majority of players and so it has never been an issue for me.  Still, for a developer to come out and so blatantly and honestly say WHY they won't do it is truly refreshing.  Bravo Damion!

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"