Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game wroth trying?

SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Heard a lot of Thigns about this game so is it wroth trying?

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

Comments

• malfury1malfury1 Member Posts: 19

It's fun. Its not your traditional MMORPG, but its quite fun to play casually, and they had a massive update recently as well.

• kamotehquekamotehque Member Posts: 19

In keeping with the idea that Vindictus is stepping away from some of the customary elements we look for in MMO’s you will notice a few differences right from the very start. In Vindictus your “class” and your “character” are one in the same. As of this moment you have the ability to choose from 3 of the 5 eventual classes: Evie, a staff wielding magician; Lann, a dual wielding warrior; or Fiona, another warrior utilizing a sword and shield. Karok, a giant, who is currently only available in the Korean version of the game; and Kai, an archer, who has not yet been released. Think of these names as the class names. Since your character IS your class, the character creation options are slightly limited. If you choose your MMO’s based on your ability to make your character stand out from others, you will be disappointed in Vindictus’ creation system for sure. Height, hair style, some hair colours (some must be bought in the Avatar Shop), chest size if you like your women curvy and facial expression (not facial design) are elements that can be altered in the character creator. You also have the opportunity to name your character at this point.

• project8sixproject8six Member Posts: 271

the  combat is okay... i didn't play it for more then a week but i just thought it was too easy. they are going in the right direction at least. should be more like monster hunter methinks.

die. <3

• yogiftwyogiftw Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by syrusmag3

yes you should try the game since its combat is a hell lot of fun.. but you will probably stop playing after a week since its basically a grind to the max lvl...nexon released the game wayy too early and now they dont have all the classes i think you can only play 3 classes atm and they are all gender locked... Vindictus is an instance based mmorpg... you start in a town and when u leave u have to go to instances theres no worlds to explore just those instances... i personally played the game and like it at first but it got wayy to repetetive and stopped playing after 2-3 weeks... so you to u some people like it and some dont...

• yogiftwyogiftw Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by project8six

the  combat is okay... i didn't play it for more then a week but i just thought it was too easy. they are going in the right direction at least. should be more like monster hunter methinks.

Oh btw they added a hero mode you can try that if you thought the instances were way too easy..but IMO the game does get repetitive after u realise there not much u can do in combat in this game after u played thru all the classes... in most cases u dodge then attack dodge and attack then heal... gets boring after a while doesnt matter what the difficulty of the instance is..

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

The combat seems kind of cool at first but that wore off quickly for me. Overall I found the game boring and simple. The instances supposedly are randomly generated but there seems to be only 3 or 4 that are used. Not very random and the lack of classes and the lack of ability to choose the sex of your character for the class(I have no interest in playing a female character) pretty much killed the game for me right from the start.

My opinion is the game is not worth the space on your hard drive.  

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

I can see how some may think the game is 'easy' or 'repetitive' in the early stages.  But as you level up and play the higher level combat, the game is not easy.  There are some legitimately TOUGH boss fights.  Also, as you learn more skills, the combat isn't that repetitive.  It can be until you get to level 30 or so.  I personally love the combat style.  Even in the early levels it isn't anywhere NEAR as repetitive as the click-to-target mmos.  Standing in one place while you click a few spells while auto-targetting a mob is boring, and extremely repetitive imo (and did I mention ridiculously easy).  Vindictus, depending on your class, has all sorts of combos and completely different moves to use.  My main is a Fiona (tank class).  And soloing the tougher boss fights is very pleasing.  You have to know when to attack, what kind of attack to use, when to get the hell away from the boss, when to use guard, when to use heavy stander (an advanced guard for 'smash' attacks) etc...  The fights are fast-paced, intense, often very difficult, and require strategy from everyone in the group.  

Most of the tougher bosses only need to hit you with a smash attack a few times (sometimes once or twice!) before you are incapacitated.  And unless your group has revival feathers, you are done for that run.  If you do happen to down a boss, there is a 'hard' difficulty as well as a 'hero' difficulty for players above level 50.  The harder encounters are not 'simple' in any sense of the word.

There are a lot of things that make this game fun.  Armor can break during battles, and then you visibly notice the damaged or missing parts.  The graphics are awesome, specially for the effects.  The gear looks great.  PvP in the form of dueling has just been introduced.....

I guess this game could get 'repetitive' if you're max level, and know every single boss fight in the game.  If that's the case, then you have WAY too much time on your hands (or have been playing since launch, which is ok).  My advice :  Get. A. Life.  

• LooseBowelsLooseBowels Member Posts: 26

People who call this game easy probably never got out of  the noob area. The bosses are pretty brutal at higher levels. I got sick of everquest-style mmos a long time ago, but i love the god of war/prince of persia style fighting mixed with VERY challenging boss battles. Feels like an action hack-an-slash mixed with an RPG.

By the way, there really isn't a grind in this game besides 2 or 3 brief slowdowns in which you grind the same battle over and over for xp BY CHOICE. The way the game works is you do (instanced) battles alone or with a party, which are levels with a boss at the end with possible minibosses midway. Even though the dungeons all look the same, more enemies are slowly introduced as you progress to keep it interesting, and every battle has a different boss(or bosses). The boss battles are where the game shines. It's a fun challenge learning the moves and figuring out how to dodge them while still putting out optimal damage.

Personally I (lann class) solo'd bosses for a while because I liked the challenge, but they started getting too hard to solo in the 4th area. There are a lot of awful low level players that join battles on easy mode with 4 people and widdle down a boss while getting hit and dying a lot. That's a bad way to play the game, trying to squeeze by a boss battle without using any tact.

Be warned: The token system prevents you from playing hardcore, so make sure you create an alt or two if you plan to play this for long hours... unless you want to purchase tokens. they refresh monday, thursday, saturday... but a lot of people use all 50 tokens in 1 day then switch to an alt.

Try this game if you want action. I don't care that there isn't much to do in-game besides fight battles, because the combat is that much fun that I haven't gotten sick of it yet (lvl 61).  They seem to release a big update with new battles and bosses every 45 days or so.

Watch some boss videos on youtube! Search Gnoll Chief, Gnoll King, Klaus, Irukul, Blood Lord, Laghodessa etc

• AhyaAikawaAhyaAikawa Member Posts: 6

Vindictus is a very large step in the opposite direction for the publishers of Maplestory. It is a fun, fast paced game with a lot of what most people want: vicious combat. It excels in a number of areas, notably the art direction. The Source engine was a great fit for this game and really brought out some of the best features of this title. What this offering lacks is an immersive MMO experience on par with even some of the most basic elements of other MMO’s. Vindictus plays fantastically with friends and could be a long term home for a group of people who enjoy the combat and only seek minor hints at player interaction outside of their group. The game grows a little repetitious if you are playing alone. Continuously adding dungeons to the game will help break up the monotony of this dungeon grinder but eventually devCAT is going to need to expand this world. Vindictus is a game worth expanding and its player-base will grow as a result.

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

Vindictus is an old idea (MMO instanced fighters have been done before, i.e. Dungeon Fighters) but with the source engine. I'm not going to lie, it's a pretty bad game. If it were an actual fighting game, it'd be pretty good, but it's pretty much spamming the same combos over and over again to grind bosses. The skills are mostly passive or improvements to combos and class-based abilities. Not even a Staff Evy (Mage) gets many new spells from her first two.

• NiveusNiveus Member UncommonPosts: 4

So far the first 10 levels are a constant grind.  It's fun for now; and I like some of the newer things it adds (new to me); but I can see how this will get old.

For instance.  The grind is in an instance you go into at least 20 times but for different missions.  So far - in the first ten levels, nothing is class dependant; and 30% of my instances have been solo (not necessarily a bad thing).  I would say this is a fantasy Counterstrike.  You go into the same map each time; learn it's secrets; and come out for the story.  From what I see now, there is only the town, and these instances... no world.

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

Originally posted by Niveus

So far the first 10 levels are a constant grind.  It's fun for now; and I like some of the newer things it adds (new to me); but I can see how this will get old.

For instance.  The grind is in an instance you go into at least 20 times but for different missions.  So far - in the first ten levels, nothing is class dependant; and 30% of my instances have been solo (not necessarily a bad thing).  I would say this is a fantasy Counterstrike.  You go into the same map each time; learn it's secrets; and come out for the story.  From what I see now, there is only the town, and these instances... no world.

You are correct there. There is no world. It's all instanced dungeons that you magically arrive on from boat, even if it's in a mountain or something.

In my honest opinion, Dungeons and Dragons Online is a much better deal than Vindictus, even if it is hard to access some of the later content. At least you're not forced to repeat combos on repetitive bosses.

• suteki11suteki11 Member Posts: 1

i just adore this game.  that being said, all of the above have points: vindictus can come off a little restrictive with the instances and locked char design.  i think that if they just corrected those two things they would have like on of the perfect games on their hands, it would be called something like, "vindictus maximus" ^o^^^^^^^^^

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by syrusmag3

It's free, just download it and try it yourself.  There are tons of videos and reviews on youtube so there is no shortage of Vindictus info out there.  I still have it installed and play it once a blue moon.