Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR vs KOTOR in combat!

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

So!!

Do you guys think SWTOR combat will be a step up or a step down when compared to KOTOR 1 and 2? 

I aks this mostly because in KOTOR there was a global time for combat but from what Ive seen in SWTOR, it doesnt have that anymore. 

So please say if you have tried SWTOR combat and if you havent and your thoughts on whether you want it more like KOTOR or more like WoW or anything~ 

I for one really liked KOTORs combat and I was thinking that SWTOR will be like that except the global timing just goes by a bit faster.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

It's really two different combat systems. The one in SWTOR was designed to work in a multiplayer setting.

Groovy.

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

I'm assuming that The Old Republic is going to play like World of Warcraft than KOTOR.

• kalanthiskalanthis Member Posts: 111

Have you watched the gameplay vid's? I was a little underwhelmed by the SWTOR hype, but watching the latest Taral V video did get me excited again. I may even roll a trooper, which is something I didn't think I'd ever say.

I haven't actually played SWTOR and my attempt to re-install KOTOR I and II on my newish PC failed, so I can't really give you any first-hand comparisons unfortunately.

From what I've seen and read though SWTOR will be more like a standard MMO. They have introduced a cover dynamic which I am not entirely convinced by, but it did seem to play ok in the demo I saw -  and it offers a little more during combat. Frustrating for me is that cover is only behind certain items and is limited to certain classes....why can't we all hide behind that tree?

Anyhoo...combat I saw looked pretty fun. It was a flashpoint run through by the dev team so it was pretty rehearsed and there weren't any pets, but still looked positive.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Well I watched the vids which is why I was wondering lol.  I thought the animations and the reactions n stuff were gna be better (like when fighting in KOTOR) but they seem mostly the same but some parts seem kind of worse.  Mostly in the part where they were in melee range and it wasnt as...nice looking as i thought it was supposed to. 

Oh wells...At least its a lot better than other games!

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by kalanthis

Have you watched the gameplay vid's? I was a little underwhelmed by the SWTOR hype, but watching the latest Taral V video did get me excited again. I may even roll a trooper, which is something I didn't think I'd ever say.

I haven't actually played SWTOR and my attempt to re-install KOTOR I and II on my newish PC failed, so I can't really give you any first-hand comparisons unfortunately.

From what I've seen and read though SWTOR will be more like a standard MMO. They have introduced a cover dynamic which I am not entirely convinced by, but it did seem to play ok in the demo I saw -  and it offers a little more during combat. Frustrating for me is that cover is only behind certain items and is limited to certain classes....why can't we all hide behind that tree?

Anyhoo...combat I saw looked pretty fun. It was a flashpoint run through by the dev team so it was pretty rehearsed and there weren't any pets, but still looked positive.

I'm pretty sure, unless someone knows otherwise, that anyone can hide behind something, it's just certain classes get bonuses for doing so, and are more designed towards it.  The ones who are desinged towards it et buffs to defense and different skills to use while they are behind cover.

Also i think the cover classes as they are called have the ability to make their own shields which they can then hide behind.

As for combat itself, its closer to the normal MMOs you have with a little bit of ME1 thrown in.

From the way i understand it using too much at least on the trooper requires you to vent it (kindalike how the weapons had to cool down in ME1 if you used them too much)

The biggest things with kotor was that first they had auto attack (which this one doesn't)

Second everytime you entered combat, timed stopped so it was more tatical then it was reactive.

Finally the combat stats centered around PnP type sets (with die rolls) wheraas this one i see more centered around normal MMo stats.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

O.O theres no autoattack in SWTOR??? 

( o.o)
    (")(")

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Castillle

O.O theres no autoattack in SWTOR??? 

Nope, the closest to auto attack is to bind normal attack to the right click and right click the mob over and over again.

As for hitting one button and killing the mob? only if your severaly overpowered, otherwise you'll have to use your other skills to beat em.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by kalanthis

Same thing happened to me man.. I bought KOTOR1 off D2D and had the hardest time installing it, i eventually gave up.. And 10 days later was refunded $10 lol... Went out to Game Stop and they actually had KOTOR1&2 for $10 each.. Both are great games.. KOTOR1 is a lot better IMO (Bio Ware made it afterall) but i'd suggest you purchase them.. They'd even be worth buying a regular xbox just to play them if you don't have a 360 or a regular one layin around already.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta