Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who has Better PvP DAOC, WAR or RIFT

So I am looking to just pvp and have some fun before GW2 releases. 

Who has better PvP between DAOC, WAR and RIFT. Ive played DAOC and WAR and a bit of RIFT but I hear so much complaining about the pvp in RIFT being so unbalanced.     If I was to pick from DAOC or WAR, which game is more active? Which game is easier to get into the thick of things PvP wise?

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I would say WAR just because tier one is free 2 play except level 11+ I think.  Some servers still have active rvr going on in the tier 1 lakes. So if you just need a quick pvp fix for an hour or two at a time I would reccomend that.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I always wanted to try DAOC pvp, but never really had the chance. I would suggest WAR pvp currently just because I haven't experienced DAOC to it's fullest. While I enjoy rift a lot the pvp isn't very balanced even though it is very fun.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Two games built around pvp and a game built for PvE? Eh?

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Dark Age of Camelot remains the best pvp experience still. The battlegrounds are constantly full in the mid to low tiers.

Also, a thing to note is that DAOC doesn't use WoW or Rift's shitty BG system. It's an ACTUAL battleground rather than an Arena setting.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• menrinmenrin Member Posts: 14

WAR would probably be your best option of the 3. Last time I played there was a huge lack of PvP in Tier 3 (21-30), however, everyone once in a while there would be some random warband forming up. Once you get access to Tier 4, you'll be spending over half your time doing PvP in scenarios.

Mythic should just close it an update DAOC IMO, was the shit back in the day.

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130

In my opinion, the best PvP ever has been and still is DAoC.  The problem is that DAoC is 10 years old.  Where the playerbase used to be 10k players logged in all servers, now its a thousand or so at any given time.  The concept has been and still  is the best out there IMO.

LoTro has a PvP system that emulates DAoC in some areas.  Although in my opinion it surpasses all others, it still does not come anywhere near DAoC in its hayday.  If you want fun PvP you may want to consider LoTRo on the creep (monster) side.  PvP in Lotro, like DAoC, involves taking keeps and relics  through Zerging. Although the numbers are nowhere near the old DAoC, they can be considerable making the whole experience fun.  The factions are comprised of the regular players (those who have grinded their characters to level 65), and the monster (Creep) players.  Anyone can play monsters.  The only requirement to play the monster side is to have a character level 10 or above.  When you enter the monster side you are allowed to create a monster character.  It can be an Orc, Warg, Spider etc.  This monster will be instantly level 65 with level 65 skills and abilities.  These are mage like, warrior type or rogue type depending on the monster and class you select to play.  While playing a monster, you are unable to communicate with the regular player side (and vice versa) and you live in the "battleground" area.  You can play a monster at any time on any server as long as you have a level10 regular character in that server.  Reaching level 10 may take  a few hours.  There are players who devote all their play time to monsterplay and there are guilds etc like in the regular side.

No, there are no siege engines assaulting castle walls, nor are there  pvp dungeons where different factions strive for dominance.  The pvp area is not as vast as the DAoC frontier.  However, it  can be a lot of fun. 

The downside is that monster players are not required to invest the time and effort on their characters that the regular player side does since they start at endgame levels.  Somehow, I have a problem with that.   In DAoC an Alb pally has as much investment in their character as a Midgard Runemaster or a Hibernian Druid.  They all got to the frontier through sweat equity.  That is not the case in LoTRO.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I never played DAOC past level 3 so I can't give an opinion on that game. Between Warhammer and Rift, I had much more entertainment in Warhammers pvp. The game was tailored to it while Rift wasn't. I suppose Rifts pvp could be fun but I didn't find it much fun after the initial honeymoon stage.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

WAR Tier 1 is a good choice: Free, good population in RvR on the high pop-servers and a bit more recent than the previously better DAOC. ALthough DAOC is cheap as and has 3 factions... so probably an even choice tbh.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

If you are looking for that aspect from these 3 games then i would put Daoc as the #1 choice, however you would have to look through the dated graphics thesedays. Rift is much like warcrafts battlegrounds (though not as good) and warhammer, well i carnt really comment on this as i didnt like the game (only tried it in the free to play 1st tier mode) and had a dabble with the pvp and found it quite boring. I thought Vanguards pvp was better and, well, we all know how much of a failure that turned out to be.

Another one that comes to mind (though i have not done pvp in the game) is Darkfall and a final choice could be Age of Conan if you are looking for pvp orientated gameplay.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Rheanon

In my opinion, the best PvP ever has been and still is DAoC.  The problem is that DAoC is 10 years old.  Where the playerbase used to be 10k players logged in all servers, now its a thousand or so at any given time.  The concept has been and still  is the best out there IMO.

LoTro has a PvP system that emulates DAoC in some areas.  Although in my opinion it surpasses all others, it still does not come anywhere near DAoC in its hayday.  If you want fun PvP you may want to consider LoTRo on the creep (monster) side.  PvP in Lotro, like DAoC, involves taking keeps and relics  through Zerging. Although the numbers are nowhere near the old DAoC, they can be considerable making the whole experience fun.  The factions are comprised of the regular players (those who have grinded their characters to level 65), and the monster (Creep) players.  Anyone can play monsters.  The only requirement to play the monster side is to have a character level 10 or above.  When you enter the monster side you are allowed to create a monster character.  It can be an Orc, Warg, Spider etc.  This monster will be instantly level 65 with level 65 skills and abilities.  These are mage like, warrior type or rogue type depending on the monster and class you select to play.  While playing a monster, you are unable to communicate with the regular player side (and vice versa) and you live in the "battleground" area.  You can play a monster at any time on any server as long as you have a level10 regular character in that server.  Reaching level 10 may take  a few hours.  There are players who devote all their play time to monsterplay and there are guilds etc like in the regular side.

No, there are no siege engines assaulting castle walls, nor are there  pvp dungeons where different factions strive for dominance.  The pvp area is not as vast as the DAoC frontier.  However, it  can be a lot of fun. 

The downside is that monster players are not required to invest the time and effort on their characters that the regular player side does since they start at endgame levels.  Somehow, I have a problem with that.   In DAoC an Alb pally has as much investment in their character as a Midgard Runemaster or a Hibernian Druid.  They all got to the frontier through sweat equity.  That is not the case in LoTRO.

Well I have to admit that is a first, I don't think i've seen anyone saying lotro has good pvp before.

@op, having not tried Rift (i'm not a pver by nature) I can only comment on the other two. DAoC is the superior system but it is debatable as to whether or not it will have the numbers WAR does in the endless trial T1 scenarios and lakes.

I'd try DAoC trial if I were you but in all honesty you will probably end up going for WAR (stick to endless don't bother subbing), to fulfill your needs till GW2 comes along.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, lets see:

• DAoC: Probably the best system of the three. Unfortunately the game is old, the graphics are dated and I don't see any further develoment down the horison, given the non existent state of Mythic. If you're ok with the decade old graphics, you'll find a very good an enjoyable game to play.

• WAR: This game faces the same problems with DAoC, aka the lack of any development. The graphics engine is more recent. Unfortunately the network code behind the engine was kind of slopy (at least at the time I was playing it). The result was that you had certain lag between firing off an ability and actually see the ability get activated in the game. No idea if they fixed that. Beyond that, DAoC had a better system in terms of PvP that was unfortunately not replicated in this game.

• Rift: This game is the newest of the three. It shares the inferior PvP design of WAR but without the ability lag issues. The PvP system is inferior to what DAoC is offering. On the other hand, it is been developed by a completent and responsive company that is backing the game, unlike the two other games. In the end, you're more likely to see content updates in Rift, than in the other two games.

I would recommend Rift only in the grounds that the company behind it is actively developing new content, bug fixing and balancing (or trying to), while the other two games are what they are and are not going to see any meaninful updates anytime in the future.

• banksy18banksy18 Member Posts: 9

Rift FTW!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

DAOC did, not sure what its like now, unbalance between older and newer players apparently became a real issue.

But you are comparing 2 RvR MMO's with Rift which is not RvR, so Rift is going to lose. It would be fair to compare Rift PvP with FF, AoC and maybe WoW.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Vanilla DaoC. Today it is a shadow of it's old self.

Now none of them are very good, I guess WAR is slightly better.

Rift is a PvE game with PvP added as an afterthought, like Wow, AoC, EQ2 and many other games. That never gives fun PvP.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

WAR Tier 1 is a good choice: Free, good population in RvR on the high pop-servers and a bit more recent than the previously better DAOC. ALthough DAOC is cheap as and has 3 factions... so probably an even choice tbh.

This.After trying Rift beta and not liking some choices developers made for the game,I gave War another try ,downloaded the free trial and it is lot of fun,so in the end i decided to go back to my main characters.Now i am in tier 3 and even if on forums it was said that tier 3 has less rvr action,if you play on a high population server you can find fights easy in rvr lakes.The good thing about war is that you don't need to pve at all like in other games,you can lv from pvp only and unlike some new games there is more balance now ,you don't spend all your fight as a squirrel or going from stun to stun.As someone said already Rift is a pve game so it will always lack on pvp side,not to speak of the endless arguments  between pve and pvp players which are not  good for the game,even now the last patch notes for 1.1 started another storm on rift forums.War endless trial is available so why not download it and give it a try

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

DAOC has the best consept.......3 factions

but for fun i would go for WAR.......best rvr i ever played.

but this is just mho.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

lol rift and wow

list should be daoc/gw/eve

• LooooLoooo Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by ruonim

lol rift and wow

list should be daoc/gw/eve

this

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Lineage 2

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Rift is about to launch full blown RvR and it will take time but you can march across city to city in rift you need an army and it will take a heck of a long time but if you have the patience YOU CAN DO IT.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988

Originally posted by Wicoa

Rift is about to launch full blown RvR and it will take time but you can march across city to city in rift you need an army and it will take a heck of a long time but if you have the patience YOU CAN DO IT.

Yeah.. let me know when that is actually IN GAME.. as it doesn't exist now.  Instead they put in a lame "ancient wardstone" system that you are supposed to fight over.   As far as I know there are NO plans.. that means ZERO.. for "full blown RvR" and the clostest thing on the horizon is a zone called Port Scion (not to be confused with the Warfront version).

As far as what actually exists today.   DAoC has always had the best system.   The main drawback is that it is a 10 year old game, and it shows as far as the netcode/hardware etc.  You will see people floating in the air etc...

But as far as PvP with a purpose.. DAoC wins hands down.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I'm a x 6 year DAOC vet. Hands down DAOC will give you the best faction vs faction experience available today.There is a hard core of players....there is a free trial.....and several battle grounds and the frontier remains quite active(the game is old but the basic brilliant design concepts keep the game going despite former innept managements best efforts to kill the game)

Rift is a pve game with some ffa pvp elements as it stands today. ...to the lament of  former DAOC players who hoped for and did not get their next homeland

WAR developers are still trying to understand the true mentality of rvr as their server base dwindles.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Wicoa

Is there a link to this?

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

The glory days of daoc are far over its an ancient relic that has been failed by mythic/ea to be developed upon instead they wait lamenting as more games release killing bit by bit their subscriber base.  I played warhammer for a while and even that needed more dev action.

I say this with sadness I enjoyed my time with daoc and I even returned for a short stint and had a blast with who I played with.  I think daoc and warhammer could survive longer if those that bought swotor got a free sub to daoc+warhammer.

Although god love Resurrection Hibernia peace to you guys.

• cadriccadric Member UncommonPosts: 15

Daoc has the best pvp no doubt. But the lack of GFX and UI updates to the game is really showing its ageing sights now. So if you want to do get and easy pvp I would recommend warhammer right now.

It still boggles my mind that no one still haven't done a new 3 faction / frontier game yet....