Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV Down Indefinitely

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Do you think that SE should use this time down as an excuse to not bring the servers back up until they can fix/change/add what needs to be done to make this a "complete" game? I feel that the game itself was not released early, but released with all the wrong stuff. The reason behind it was most likely Tanaka and his vision of a game completely different from FFXI. Yes, we want something new, but to take it so far as to ignore the things we liked? Everything just went downhill after launch.

Personally, I think that the game SHOULD be brought down indefinitely until it is where it should be, whether that be later this year or next year.

What do you think?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

I think Square Enix should be brought down permanently. 

Personally. They just don't make good games anymore.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

The problem wasn't that Tanakas vision was different from XI. The problem was he had no vision at all. The game is built as if he only ever read about MMOs in a magazine, but never actually experienced what those games are about. 

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

I think they should. Its not like they're losing subs over it. Give people an incentive to come back for a trial period in 12 months time, to see if its worth playing or not.

I see no positives as to why they should keep the servers running at this point. As it currently stands, FFXIV is (by every definfition of the word) a dead MMO.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

If they bring the servers back up now they face the problem that sooner or later they must reinstate the monthly charge, losing a lot of the players who were prepared to persevere with the game in case it could be fixed.

If they are confident they can make the game playable then a wipe and relaunch could rekindle some interest, especially with a beta acting as a free trial.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Lowdos

I see no positives as to why they should keep the servers running at this point. As it currently stands, FFXIV is (by every definfition of the word) a dead MMO.

Really? Yes, I'm sure the game will be better if S-E can't get any feedback regarding the changes from the players themselves... Brilliant!

Also, it doesn't matter whether there are 30k testers or 3 million... it's still better than their Quality Assurance team that is "just doing their job".

The third option is also funny. You care enough to click the thread regarding the game, you're still part of their demographic as much as you want to deny it. You still give enough of a crap to vote.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

i think they should bring the servers up again, not because i like the game as it stands, but because there are people who do, or are playing regardless, and.. it would be very easy for the game to fall under the radar never to return..  but either would be a gamble.. though i do think that taking them down more or less permanently would allow them to devote manpower/resources to just fixing the game rather than maintaining and fixing.. it is a tough call.. no doubt their weighing that up at Squenix too.. image

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

No, but I do hope they take this time to fix what they can, ASAP.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Originally posted by birdycephon

No, but I do hope they take this time to fix what they can, ASAP.

You see, I worry that they won't be able to. They are progressing at such a snail's pace it is unheard of in the MMO industry other than in games like Vanguard. Most big companies (and yes, SE is a huge company) would throw as much money as they can at their new "flagship" mmo to bring it up to standards, however SE just drops in a few updates here and there. I know they are limited by their development staff, and Yoshi-P is doing an awesome job, however he isn't getting the support from the company it seems. They need to delegate a lot more staff to this game so they can get those big content patches out ASAP.

Unless they feel they have this nice cozy window of opportunity until the PS3 release, which by the way, in North America won't have as big as an impact as it will in Japan.

Originally posted by GPrestige

You see, I worry that they won't be able to. They are progressing at such a snail's pace it is unheard of in the MMO industry other than in games like Vanguard. Most big companies (and yes, SE is a huge company) would throw as much money as they can at their new "flagship" mmo to bring it up to standards, however SE just drops in a few updates here and there. I know they are limited by their development staff, and Yoshi-P is doing an awesome job, however he isn't getting the support from the company it seems. They need to delegate a lot more staff to this game so they can get those big content patches out ASAP.

Unless they feel they have this nice cozy window of opportunity until the PS3 release, which by the way, in North America won't have as big as an impact as it will in Japan.

Most of their staff is working on features that take more than 2 months to develop.

On top of that, some smaller changes are being held off to be released as a part of a larger patch that changes said feature more drastically (the combat changes).

If we look at their work without taking into account that they restarted the development with the new director, you really aren't looking at the situation realistically.

Now whether it was a good idea to restart the development is another discussion.

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

The game already is down really. As long as they aren't charging a sub fee I will think of it as in beta.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

I loved FFXI, but I was one of the retards that pre-ordered this game. I already own it, and seriously doubt I would ever even try it again as it was just that bad. Looking for a new game play EQ2 still probably best game on the market imo I just love it.

• TheCalamityTheCalamity Member UncommonPosts: 58

Originally posted by ironfungus

Ehh the only good games they make anymore is the Kingdom Hears Series. The last 3 Final Fantasies were frankly awful...and yea, I just don't see myself ever coming back to FFXIV

Yes yes, they were awful like the Dragon Age 2 is "awful"... praised by critics (deservedly), played by millions, trashed by the "fans".

gg.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Yes yes, they were awful like the Dragon Age 2 is "awful"... praised by critics (deservedly), played by millions, trashed by the "fans".

gg.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, because that literally is the issue lol. Also, I hate to say it but it is extremely difficult to not consider it a "fanboy" response due to the avatar and all, but don't take it personally I'm just going off of what I see.

You have to admit, nothing SE has made since Enix joined has been good - at least in my opinion. I know a few others who share the same view. Either way, we are getting off topic. I doubt they will keep FFXIV down, because as someone in this thread mentioned, with it being f2p atm it is basically like a beta, which would probably be better in the long run. I want for this game to be good desperately, because I'm desperate for a good mmo and I loved FFXI. Lets hope they can deliver.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ironfungus

They did at least publish "Full metal alchemist" (the anime).

Yeah, it is true that they have fallen a lot since the days of FF VII but they have been good before, maybe all this will get them to think on how to get back to being good again.

Just closing down the company really wont help anyone.

As for FF XIV I agree with OP, they should fix it up ASAP.

Originally posted by GPrestige

You have to admit, nothing SE has made since Enix joined has been good - at least in my opinion.

Yes, I will admit that in your opinion SE has not made anything good since Enix joined the picture.

It's simply too bad that opinion doesn't have any basis to it, as nothing more than a subjective personal "feeling".

Although I can't say anything SE has (ever) done I would consider exceptional, they keep putting out good titles that are rated high (8.0 or above) by the critics (that seem to hate the company otherwise for some reason) and that are fun to play. This game being the first true exception. Fortunately they are doing something about that, regardless of the outcome.

Lastly, they haven't fallen anywhere- they simply haven't kept up. Much because the genre was outdated at the time of it's flourishing period, less because S-E hasn't grasped that their core audience has grown older.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Meh I would say the only good game SE has made was FFXI and FFXII and thats it. Yasumi Matsuno (the man who directed FFXII) is probably the last talented developer they have in their pocket.

Edit: Also FFXII's systems and world would have lent it's self well to an MMO setting. I don't know why they didn't just get Yasumi to make FFXIV.