Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inspect and armory ruin PvP?

Fessor111Fessor111 Member UncommonPosts: 33

Im not playing WoW anymore, don't even have the new xpac. But still I can't stop thinking, would WoW PVP be better if you couldnt read every ones stats and build. I don't see why every one need the option to see you enc and build. If Blizzard turned these features off it would be more interesting. What do you think? Sorry for the bad grammar.

Zoos the Slacker

Comments

• LyulfeLyulfe Member Posts: 213

should be able to toggle it on or off all the time.

• Fessor111Fessor111 Member UncommonPosts: 33

Yes that would be a cool idea, the ability to turned it on and off.

Zoos the Slacker

• Fessor111Fessor111 Member UncommonPosts: 33

I know that raid and groups recruit from Gs and archievement so the idea about on and off when you want is really good i think. But only if you can´t see off spec build when you inspect. Same with armory , only show when you have it on ingame. That way you could turn if off before dressing and turning PvP build on. 

Zoos the Slacker

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

This scenario has happened a few times to me.

Misc player runs by, stops...  stands there for 20+ seconds (scoping the inspect)...  "Hey, wanna duel?"

Funny they never did that to my 80 DK,  but everyone wanted to try to kill my priest.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

I think in a pvp game where you have many, many options for gear and builds it would be important to play things close to the vest, but for a game as simple as WoW, there really are no secrets that make much difference.  I actually considered it a public service to try and educate the newbs when I was pvping in WoW.  I spent the time looking up gear options, reading the forums for enchant strategies, and following the threads concerning the classes I was playing.  No reason that I shouldn't share that with my fellow faction members.  Frankly, if my opponents were that concerned they could do all the same research I did and reverse engineer my builds.  

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

It wasnt really a big deal for me most people playing wow cant pvp to save their own life and maybe less than 10% of people in bgs know what the hell their doing. I played max level pvp and lower level twink brackets and world pvp at all times and it really doesnt matter about gear score because most raiders are so bad at pvp  I could tell them what gear I was wearing be easily outgeared and still kill them with little difficulty. The only gear score that might worry me is Arena gear but thats gear you earned from pvp not gear you get from standing in one spot hitting the 3 button. Gear score is for raiders who think killing scripted dwarves is a challenge.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

gearscore has killed this game imo..the last thing i want in a mmo is worry about some guy complaining about that my gearscore is a tad lower than his..this game now revolves around gearscore nerds that cant grasp the concept of grouping or social skills not including skill playing the game or defeating a boss..its all about how fast you can burn dps and a gearscore..or at least that what it was like last i played..so i moved on sometimes i would lol at the jackoff that was talking about GS and dps but he would keep standing in the wrong spot and die over and over again..still makes me chuckle to this day and i think to myself..dam..im glad i dont play it anylonger

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Every single build/item combo etc. etc. is already on the internet. I don't see how not having the armoury will change this. I doubt you or 99% of WoW players are using a unique build that is not already on some wiki or pvp website. Just saying...

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Fessor111

Im not playing WoW anymore, don't even have the new xpac. But still I can't stop thinking, would WoW PVP be better if you couldnt read every ones stats and build. I don't see why every one need the option to see you enc and build. If Blizzard turned these features off it would be more interesting. What do you think? Sorry for the bad grammar.

I really do not see how that would be 'interesting'.  It does not really give you much tactical advantage to know what gear the person you are fighting is wearing. 

Anyway, why would you now want to find the people with the best gear and solid builds?  There is no challenge fighting someone in quest greens and a PvE spec.  If you are serious about PvP you will look for the toughest opponents to pitt yoursef againts.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

To improve WOW PVP what they need to do is make anyone attackable anywhere at any time. Then no one would waste a minute "inspecting" their opponents, they'd just go out than kill them.

But for those looking for fair and balanced arena sports, I suppose these tools are necessary.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

To improve WOW PVP what they need to do is make anyone attackable anywhere at any time. Then no one would waste a minute "inspecting" their opponents, they'd just go out than kill them.

But for those looking for fair and balanced arena sports, I suppose these tools are necessary.

You mean if they wanted to kill their game by becoming an FFA lolfest?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by fivoroth

Exactly. The question was how to improve PVP and get rid of people looking at gearscores and what not.  I solved the problem.  Didn't say it would be optimal.  (nor was  my response totally serious)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Fessor111

No, that is just the symptom, not the problem.

The problem is that MMOs are too focused on gear. Far too focused now, that and levels are more or less all that matters today.

Besides from a realstic point of view you can actually look on another warrior IRL and see his basic armor and weapons.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Exactly. The question was how to improve PVP and get rid of people looking at gearscores and what not.  I solved the problem.  Didn't say it would be optimal.  (nor was  my response totally serious)

People would still inspect gear and look at gear score. Having open PvP wouldn't change the need to join Arena to get the best PvP gear. The game is gear driven. You can simply over power another player with gear, so people are going to find the fastest, easiest path to get that gear. Unless you change the whole point of the game (getting the best gear) then you can't change those aspects of PvP.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

I used to make a Night Elf DK and run into the first little shop in org and hit the stealth button, then make emotes and kill the lowbies that wondered in or pull them inside. I also did some spectacular solo missions in Undercity and managed to druid my way into Ironforge with a Horde. But usually world pvp was so dead this is the kind of crap you had to do to bide the time, even the main pvp areas had gotten lax when I left the game. Basically your better off wondering around WG which is pretty sad.

Originally posted by Faelsun

I used to make a Night Elf DK and run into the first little shop in org and hit the stealth button, then make emotes and kill the lowbies that wondered in or pull them inside. I also did some spectacular solo missions in Undercity and managed to druid my way into Ironforge with a Horde. But usually world pvp was so dead this is the kind of crap you had to do to bide the time, even the main pvp areas had gotten lax when I left the game. Basically your better off wondering around WG which is pretty sad.

I was part of two city raids during WOTLK so it can be done. On my server there was 2-3 guilds which recruited people solely for world pvp. They would organise one raid or so every 2 weeks I think. I took part in two of their raids even though I wasn't a member. So you can get world pvp if you get organised. World PvP is not something BLizzard can put in. If they didn't have any other form of pvp like battlegrounds/arenas then a lot of people would've raided capital cities just like it was the case in the very early months of the game. But I don't think this is the way to go.