Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Kickstart for MMORPG.com

SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520

Wired recently published an article on a startup company called Kickstarter that offers an outlet for artists and designers to get funding from the website's community for their projects. A person places a request for funding on the site, sets a goal and asks for donations, adding rewards for donation thresholds. If the project does not reach its financial goal the donations are not charged. When the final product completes production the donators are rewarded based on the amount they donated.

At the time of this post there are 1,318,574 Members on this site. This website is dedicated to the discussion, journalism and enthusiasm that surrounds MMORPGs. Every member has an opinion, but we all share a collective desire to find a game that appeals to us like that first MMORPG love.

Here is my Kickstart for MMORPG.com: use the formula above and drive this community to invest in a game.

We sit here waiting, waiting for that MMORPG that strikes our fancy, shelling out $35-50 when it  is released to be delighted or disappointed. Then we sit and wait again for that missing feature, that elusive title that just hasn't been made yet.

How much does it cost to make an MMORPG? $50 million? $150 million? $500 million?

We dump so much money into these games, games backed by major publishers, produced by reputable companies and developed by tried and true studios (and ocassionaly we dump money into indy companies as well) but why have we not invested our own money in the development of a game that meets our approval?

1.3 million members. At $50 a copy that is $65 million with just the purchase of an undeveloped title.

Why not?

Comments

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Sounds very smart, any chance of a link to that Kickstarter site?

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520

I would like to refrain from promoting other sites/businesses. Google can offer a link for you.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384

1.3 million members, and most of them most probably want different kind of MMORPG's. To take a couple of examples: Sandbox/themepark? Fantasy/sci-fi/post-apocalypse/zombie? 1st person/3rd person?

There will most probably never be a perfect MMORPG that suits everyone.

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by redcap036

Sounds very smart, any chance of a link to that Kickstarter site?

http://www.kickstarter.com/

and also one solely for games:

http://www.8bitfunding.com/

I can't see a MMO starting on a site like this. MMOs require far too much, to be able to benifit from something like this. If a MMO needs a boost to help buy their 3D Software or Engine, then the game is not going to make it to release even as finished as Xyson was. 

Kickstarter and 8Bit Funding, both are mainly for small companies who just need a small boost (say less than $10k) to help buy some of the more expensive things they need. Unfortunately for MMOs, there are alot more expensive things and alot more man hours that go into the game. 

This site has a community and the tools to extract valuable information from a large percentage of the MMORPG player base. With these tools and investment I believe a site such as this could spearhead the development of a player driven MMORPG development.

Originally posted by Aragoni

1.3 million members, and most of them most probably want different kind of MMORPG's. To take a couple of examples: Sandbox/themepark? Fantasy/sci-fi/post-apocalypse/zombie? 1st person/3rd person?

"There will most probably never" has been the pretense of many statements.

Man will not fly.

Man cannot produce light, only the sun and moon have that power.

Man will not go into space.

Man will not step foot on the moon.

Man cannot talk to someone on the other side of the world.

While developing an MMORPG that appeals to multiple playstyles is not as beneficial or groundbreaking for humanity as the above discoveries and inventions, it is still within our grasp as a creative and exceptionally innovative species.

WoW appealed to more people than the highest population MMORPG by more than 10x. So tell me again that "There will most probably never be a perfect MMORPG that suits everyone." The only thing I can agree with in your statement is the word "perfect", no there will most probably never be a perfect anything.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384

Originally posted by ~Oblivion~

Man will not fly.

While developing an MMORPG that appeals to multiple playstyles is not as beneficial or groundbreaking for humanity as the above discoveries and inventions, it is still within our grasp as a creative and exceptionally innovative species.

WoW appealed to more people than the highest population MMORPG by more than 10x. So tell me again that "There will most probably never be a perfect MMORPG that suits everyone." The only thing I can agree with in your statement is the word "perfect", no there will most probably never be a perfect anything.

Your logic fails, as MMORPG's is a matter of preferences, while if a man can fly or moonwalking is not.

There can be games that most people enjoy. Games such as WoW, CoD and others has shown that this is possible, but they aren't trying to cater to everyone. At least from what I've seen WoW isn't aiming at the EVE-players.

I think MMO's that tries to get their own niche is the way to go, and not an ultra-large MMO that tries to cater to everyone.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

For myself to answer that question I would have to know what features the game was going to have.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by ~Oblivion~

Man will not fly.

Your logic fails, as MMORPG's is a matter of preferences, while if a man can fly or moonwalking is not.

There can be games that most people enjoy. Games such as WoW, CoD and others has shown that this is possible, but they aren't trying to cater to everyone. At least from what I've seen WoW isn't aiming at the EVE-players.

I think MMO's that tries to get their own niche is the way to go, and not an ultra-large MMO that tries to cater to everyone.

I agree with this because if everyone trys to be everything we will never see anything new. I prefer an mmo to focus on whats going to be its stock and trade like: raiding in wow, or community, guilds and housing in eq2, or pvp in daoc. If every mmo tried everything all the mmos would be just alike which would mean no one ever tried anything new which there are already more then enough "same old, same old" in mmo's now days.