Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rejoice, for SWTOR can has blue blessings.

Blizzard on SWTOR

For what it's worth:

“It’s certainly a strong franchise and BioWare’s a great developer. We’ve talked about this internally and from our perspective we hope they make an enjoyable game because they’re going to bring in a lot of new players to the MMO genre, and those players’ idea of whether or not they like this type of game is going to be determined by that experience.”

I think they have a point there.

Of course this is just their 'official stance' and their internal ideas might vary. Personally I think it's a very good thing to have more competition in this market. Competition, as ever, drives innovation. (And Blizzard hasn't exactly been so tremendously innovative themselves the last years). Seems they would welcome a wake up kick in the **** themselves :)

Comments

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

let's hope soo :)

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Yeah Blizzard actually loves competition, or so their devs say.  The one thing they hate is the thing that's been happening the past 6 years, noone even coming close to them.  It's kind of like a pvper that noone can beat.  The person is like whats the point? I know every outcome.  I win.  Sure it's nice, nice and boring.  Give me a challenge so i can continue to improve myself.

Thats what blizzard is hoping, a company will come along and give them a challenge, and if it's anyone that can do it, it's Bioware, because frankly, they are known for doing it. Bioware vs Blizzard isn't new.

They give each other props all the time but continue to try and one up each other.  It's a play war of sorts.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Originally posted by whilan

Yeah Blizzard actually loves competition, or so their devs say.  The one thing they hate is the thing that's been happening the past 6 years, noone even coming close to them.  It's kind of like a pvper that noone can beat.  The person is like whats the point? I know every outcome.  I win.  Sure it's nice, nice and boring.  Give me a challenge so i can continue to improve myself.

Thats what blizzard is hoping, a company will come along and give them a challenge, and if it's anyone that can do it, it's Bioware, because frankly, they are known for doing it. Bioware vs Blizzard isn't new.

They give each other props all the time but continue to try and one up each other.  It's a play war of sorts.

That's due to the following Blizzard had a gaming company before launching WOW.  They'd already built a huge following  with World of Warcraft rts and WOW hit the ground with the IP and it's army of fans ready to try the MMO out based on it. Other companies are trying to steal WOW's crown coming in to the MMO arena rock bottom with no built up fan base as a company from very successful previous game releases of theirs. Blizzard also had the power of word of mouth from its already huge fan base going to buy wow at release.

There are a few things that have to come together to do what WOW did as part of what it did was based on the social side of its community of fan and the respect it had already built up from for turning out well polished fun games. SOE got false impression about EQ being a top winning formula for mass appeal because there was no other choices so had a chance to build a community in new genre.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

It's good to read things like, although in the background away from cameras and mics the devs will be thinking "oh crap what we gonna do" lol

there is a slight error though that i'd like to point out..

"Blizzard says new movie-based online game will draw more players into the genre its games have made popular"

Whoever titled the post could use a bit of a wake up slap and history lesson, the genre was popular before Blizzard got in on it.

Either way it's good to see companies acknowledging each other and although i'm not a fan of Blizzard i tip my hat to them for these statements. (if actually true as we all know what the media industry is like for re-wording things lol)

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Antaran

It's good to read things like, although in the background away from cameras and mics the devs will be thinking "oh crap what we gonna do" lol

"Blizzard says new movie-based online game will draw more players into the genre its games have made popular"

Whoever titled the post could use a bit of a wake up slap and history lesson, the genre was popular before Blizzard got in on it.

Either way it's good to see companies acknowledging each other and although i'm not a fan of Blizzard i tip my hat to them for these statements. (if actually true as we all know what the media industry is like for re-wording things lol)

Thats debateable. Ultimately it was Blizzard who mainstreamed they genre with WoW.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by Antaran

Thats debateable. Ultimately it was Blizzard who mainstreamed they genre with WoW.

It's rather debatable as to whether that was a good thing or not.

Ultimately though with the way technology has gone, with or without Blizzard it is more than likely that mmo's would have gradually become more and more casual to push the genre into the mainstream. Blizzard happened to be in the right place at the right time, and crucially they got the formula right.

As for Blizzard and competitors. Well the problem is for them to have a legitimate competitor, it is pretty much nailed on that said competitor is also going to have to develop a similar experience to WoW. Whilst that might create some competition between the companies involved, it's hardly conducive to a varied choice of mmo types.

Personally I don't really care one way or another if Blizzard gets a competitor, I tend towards what are considered niche market sanboxes and as such whether or not a Tor or GW2 has masses of subs really makes little difference to me.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I've always hated the notion that "one" game can win, and that there is no room for other games in the MMO landscape.

Just because one game does well, doesn't mean others can't do well either. Sure, a player only has so many hours in a day/week to play, but the beauty of the subscription model is, that the company makes the same amount of money if that player plays for 1 hour or 100 hours that month. And the only thing stopping a player from being subscribed to multiple games, is their bank account.

With other payment models, the discussion turns even more in favor of a diverse landscape. In most F2P models, you only pay as you play, and with no subscription fees tying the player down, they are free to dabble in as many different titles as they want to.

An MMO has no one to blame besides themselves if they do poorly, one MMO does not snipe players from another: if the other MMO is more fun, then players will migrate. If both MMO's are fun, players will play both. It's not an either/or type situation where a player can only play one game at a time.

I say they more the merrier!~

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Bioware do just like Blizzard have the advantage of having a lot of fans, many outside MMOs. Blizz were able to get those fans to start Wow and if TOR can do the same the genre will get more players which in the long run might be good for all devs.

Of course I know some Wow players that consider themselves Blizzard players instead of MMO players so not all players do pass tho other games but if TOR do get in new players it will make it easier for many devs to get money for their MMOs since it would show that there can be more than one game and that it is a genre worth investing in.

If both TOR and GW2 fail and Rift loses players fast it would be very bad for the genre, it would more or less say that only Wow can earn loads of money, or so many investors will think.

So I hope both TOR and GW2 will do fine and Rift will keep it's players, if that is happening it would mean that the genre would be more alive and get new companies into it

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Loke666

Bioware do just like Blizzard have the advantage of having a lot of fans, many outside MMOs. Blizz were able to get those fans to start Wow and if TOR can do the same the genre will get more players which in the long run might be good for all devs.

Of course I know some Wow players that consider themselves Blizzard players instead of MMO players so not all players do pass tho other games but if TOR do get in new players it will make it easier for many devs to get money for their MMOs since it would show that there can be more than one game and that it is a genre worth investing in.

If both TOR and GW2 fail and Rift loses players fast it would be very bad for the genre, it would more or less say that only Wow can earn loads of money, or so many investors will think.

So I hope both TOR and GW2 will do fine and Rift will keep it's players, if that is happening it would mean that the genre would be more alive and get new companies into it

well here's hoping then.. from all i've seen so far neither TOR nor GW2 are the games im looking for.. but.. i'm not everyone.. im really hoping that Bioware etc. don't make the mistake that SOE made, in terms of sacrificing gameplay to chase theoretical player numbers. so i'll be keeping my fingers crossed, if only because their success might mean at some point a game comes out that i will be interested in.. because of it image

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

There'll come a time when "dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences...ever" will no longer resonate with the folks.

Personally I think people have had enough epic lately to last them a while.

Fortunately for Star Wars epic is already inherent in the game and doesn't have to be created by spending/investing hours upon hours of grind-time to battle and compete against your foe.  

My opinion.

I want to own property too

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Loke666

well here's hoping then.. from all i've seen so far neither TOR nor GW2 are the games im looking for.. but.. i'm not everyone.. im really hoping that Bioware etc. don't make the mistake that SOE made, in terms of sacrificing gameplay to chase theoretical player numbers. so i'll be keeping my fingers crossed, if only because their success might mean at some point a game comes out that i will be interested in.. because of it image

In my opinion all Major Game companys are now chasing those numbers, as an example my old favourite GuildWars.

GuildWars when released was a breath of fresh air, great graphics and game play rolled into one. I remember when i was exploring how i would stop and look at the scenery and comment to myself or guildys how nice it looked. When you adavnced in the game you had to actually think about your skill bar and what skills you were to play with. Fast forward to GuildWars now. Graphics are as nice as ever but gameplay has taken a big turn for the worst. Now we have Pawn All skills and the majority of players love it, You just steam-roller your way through any instance or boss with these skills, there is no need to think of stratergys just press and win.

The game has been dumbed down to allow (in my opinion) the likes of wow players to enjoy it, yes an easy mode has been made. The so called Hard Mode is nothing more than a laugh for most mmorpg players.

So as you can see GW has also opened its doors to the majority, something they said in the early life of the game would never happen.

Even though i will buy GW2, something inside me says i will not play this game; for i believe it too will be catered to the majority and thus will be dumbed down to allow them to play.

Or maybe i just have played to many games and it is time to move on.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by sibs4455

So as you can see GW has also opened its doors to the majority, something they said in the early life of the game would never happen.

I think there is a dose of reality there.

They still need to make money. They still need to support themselves. My guess is that they had to get more people buying the boxes and taking advantage of their limited online store because they had to have something coming in.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Well, i hope SWTOR has good success bcs i very much like a good story in a mmo presented in the best way possible with ingame cinematics, voice overs etc.
    For GW2 i guess it will have success to with its business modell and the tuned up gameplay.
    But for Rift i hope it fails badly bcs its to much old sausage in new casings hiding the foul taste with to many spice called Rifts.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• biorealmsbiorealms Member Posts: 46

I hope TOR does great,but blizzard just wants them to do what SWG did before they launched wow..get more SW fans into MMOs then reveal Titan.

The new Titan MMO will bleed all the old wow players from TOR and take many old swg vets who complain that TOR is a wow clone with no space combat. and most old wow players will flock back to Titan. it's history repeating itself i'm afraid. We never thought are company named SOE would do to us what they did.

You will know the signs.....LA will send in Julio Torres!

Then you will know that your game called TOR will get a full revamp.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Originally posted by whilan

That's due to the following Blizzard had a gaming company before launching WOW.  They'd already built a huge following  with World of Warcraft rts and WOW hit the ground with the IP and it's army of fans ready to try the MMO out based on it. Other companies are trying to steal WOW's crown coming in to the MMO arena rock bottom with no built up fan base as a company from very successful previous game releases of theirs. Blizzard also had the power of word of mouth from its already huge fan base going to buy wow at release.

There are a few things that have to come together to do what WOW did as part of what it did was based on the social side of its community of fan and the respect it had already built up from for turning out well polished fun games. SOE got false impression about EQ being a top winning formula for mass appeal because there was no other choices so had a chance to build a community in new genre.

And in that respect Bioware also has a massive FAN Base.... so it's not inconceivable that if they do a good job they will have a hit on their hands it may even be massive.

• glim3merglim3mer Member UncommonPosts: 154

I'm not surprised to see Blizzard take that stance, because I recall at some point Blizzard had mentioned that it was something like 33% of players who actually made it past the starter zones. Which means that there is a huge loss of potential customers that are simply not sticking around. So if Bioware can get a percentage of those back into the MMO world, then for blizzard its a plus, because now they atleast have that many more customers who can potentially be impressed by blizzard products versus those customers not playing any MMO altogether.

Its like the saying goes: "The bigger the pie gets, the bigger the slice you can have"