Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF a Crafting/Creation MMO

2»

Comments

• VGTheoryVGTheory Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by itchmon

nobody has mentioned eve.

in eve nearly everything is player crafted and when you die your stuff blows up meaning crafted items are ALWAYS in demand as well as resource gatherers.

only problem with eve is the notoriously dastardly learning curve.  go into it with patience.

as far as non linear mmo games it's hands down the best of the bunch.

Played eve a lot, and crafting was something I did...though didn't enjoy...

Crafting in eve is kinda like being an accountant.  It's not a lot of fun, even if you do make money with it.  Not to mention you also have to be an accountant, which is boring.  And I agree that the learning curve is the Dwarf Fortress kind of fun.

Regarding vanguard, how stable is it, and how is the server pop? 

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

ad vanguard: i would say it is pretty stable, but population is really low

Originally posted by Benedikt

ad vanguard: i would say it is pretty stable, but population is really low

Forgot that it was a sony game...thanks for the recommendation, but low pop + SOE = fail in my book.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

Originally posted by VGTheory

Ryzom is...interesting...but the stanza/ability thing is strange, and I'm not certain I like it all that much.  Crafting is solid, and that might make me stick around.  Still experimenting.

The stanza system, IMO, is one of the best things about Ryzom, certainly one of the most unique. You may never grow to like it, but I'd strongly encourage you to play around with it long enough to completely understand it before giving up. Also, fair warning, Ryzom is difficult to enjoy solo. It's possible, but the game plays much more smoothly with a group of players. I found myself teaming up nearly every single day I played on the starting island, something I haven't had to do in an MMO in a very, very long time. I imagine many people now days would throw a fit if they had to ask for help completing one of the very first quests they received in an MMO.

Originally posted by Adhesive33

Originally posted by VGTheory

Ryzom is...interesting...but the stanza/ability thing is strange, and I'm not certain I like it all that much.  Crafting is solid, and that might make me stick around.  Still experimenting.

The stanza system, IMO, is one of the best things about Ryzom, certainly one of the most unique. You may never grow to like it, but I'd strongly encourage you to play around with it long enough to completely understand it before giving up. Also, fair warning, Ryzom is difficult to enjoy solo. It's possible, but the game plays much more smoothly with a group of players. I found myself teaming up nearly every single day I played on the starting island, something I haven't had to do in an MMO in a very, very long time. I imagine many people now days would throw a fit if they had to ask for help completing one of the very first quests they received in an MMO.

Is there a cap to skills, or will I eventually get enough points to buy every upgrade for an ability (I know there's a cap for the trial)

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

From what I understand, you can theoretically max out every single skill in each of the four groups/classes, but I could be wrong, and I'm not sure how practical it would be to do so. All skills are capped at 250 though.

From what I've been reading, you either have to specialize to make the best gear, or be a jack of all trades making everything that's just OK.  Which really just means having 5 characters all ground out to specialize in 5 things, which sounds boring just typing it.  I'm going to continue with my jack of all trades character to mess with the system.  It is unique enough to keep my interest (though gathering raw materials is being difficult at the moment, probably because I haven't levelled enough for where I am trying).

• russ1struss1st Member Posts: 47
    You can try Age of Armors. Sci-Fi RPG all about gear and it's enhancement which is quite complicated. But the game world is somewhat low populated.