Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rolling power cuts 'to last for weeks'

2»

Comments

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by gekkothegrey

Two questions I wonder if someone could answer. 1. Is this game any better yet I bought this game and it was sooooo baaaad at launch I could not play it how much has it improved. 2. Are they still giving free play till everything is fixed?

1. Wait until they start a new marketing campaign. That's the sign that you should come back.

This. Probably be around the ps3 release. There is no current sub fee so you could check it out. Just set your expectations really really low.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

One thing that everyone seems to have forgotten is that the game is still free at this time. So they're essentially saving money. However, the downside is that everyday that the service is down is likely to cause more players to leave the game, which is something that no MMORPG wants to see. In other words, up or down, SE is losing money.

<3

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by dreamscaper

One thing that everyone seems to have forgotten is that the game is still free at this time. So they're essentially saving money. However, the downside is that everyday that the service is down is likely to cause more players to leave the game, which is something that no MMORPG wants to see. In other words, up or down, SE is losing money.

The FFXI service is down as well and people do pay to play that.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

The way I see it is SE is concerned about their business still, obviously, but the more immediate problem is just getting back on their feet. When 400k people are without homes, that's a problem, and i am sure peppered in that 400k are a few SE employees. Right now I just want those people to get reigns on their lives before they even consider working on this game at the moment. Honestly, I can wait a week or 2 to continue playing, my life does not revolve around video games, and this may be an opportune time for some people to get off their booties and go get some fresh air, maybe do something with their lives. I think people are going to have a lot more forgiving view on SE at this point in time because really there is NOTHING they can do. They had an 11 minute warning about the Tsunami and hardly an ample warning about the earthquake, very little time to plan anything. Not to mention I would hope they would be more concerned about their families than a video game. Many of their employees might be dealing with the loss of a family member, possibly an immediate one; so people who are complaining and whining, please stop. The third largest economy in the world just got ravaged by several nature disasters at once, I think that warrants a compassionate and understanding eye. 

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Originally posted by Xzen

Umm... they're giving free time at the moment, no ones paid a dime for service... 

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by MisterSr

Originally posted by Xzen

Umm... they're giving free time at the moment, no ones paid a dime for service... 

Oh I wouldn't be surprised if they gave their FFXI players credit for the down time but the fact remains that SE does charge their customers for playing FFXI so they are losing money.

• aejoriiaejorii Member Posts: 26
    Force Majeure
  • RagnardoRagnardo Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Cecropia

They're a business, they need to figure out an alternative solution before  then.

As human beings, I'm sure they have bigger priorities at this time.

Yeah, like getting their paycheck from the corporation they work in so they can support their families.

And yes, that corporation's biggest priority is to make this game profitable. And no, nobody is waiting for them to get their crap together even if they understand why they wouldn't get back up. That's what matters. They know it, we know it. If they won't keep developing this game as efficiently as one possibly could at this point in time, they're getting left behind and no one is giving them free pass.

Hmmm, I doubt that your opinion really speaks for everyone who plays this game.  I mean, on this forum alone you are the only one who thinks this way and only like 10 people are posting on this thread anyways... Your not showing us the "real truth" or anything profound, just some hashed out generic "yadayadayada I know whats up" angry fan POV.   Sure square-enix needs its "basement gamers" but they don’t really need you alone, if you and people like yourself quit playing you must be on the edge anyways so its probably coming weather a unforeseen natural disaster affects game time or not

I doubt the thousands of Asian players (and lots of westerners) who love ff 13 and 11 are just going to leave it behind.    They understand that their people are in need during this crisis (you obviously live in the west, or somewhere outside of Japan, seems you cant really "relate" outside of your corporate business model mentality) and have loyalty to square-enix through and throughout.  I am sure lots of western players do as well and are not as militant about it as yourself.  I am pretty sure as well that the employes also have more on their mind then just a "paycheck" right now.  Another point, which you do not seem to give them any credit for is that  they are all incredibly smart developers and work for one of the largest game companies on the planet; those skills alone will give them employment if in need.  Even if ff xiv fell apart and ceses to exist in a year (could happen, its been a rocky start) all these people will be fine from a business sense, there will always be more projects to work on. 

This game has definitely been losing tons of potential profit in the last few months (since launch) and they STILL have jobs.  A natural disaster of this time only delays them, they may take precautions after this to host servers somewhere else but no one saw this coming and now priorities shift for the good of the whole and not some pissed off gamers..   Imagine a disaster of this magnitude destroying Tokyo and affecting a mass amount of gaming world wide, now that would really put gamers like yourself in some turmoil, but as of now chill out man, everything will be fine, have some compasion for the Japanese people. 

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Cecropia

They're a business, they need to figure out an alternative solution before  then.

As human beings, I'm sure they have bigger priorities at this time.

Bingo.

This situation is far greater than SE.

Personally, if SE has backup power in place, I'd be much happier to see them re-route it help out with recovery over there.

FFXIV and XI are games. Entertainment. That's all.

What they're dealing with over there is affecting the *lives* of thousands upon thousands of people.

They're doing what they need to do.

The attitude some people are demonstrating about this - in various places on the web, not just here - is the most disgusting, heartless and reckless example of the selfish "me me me" mentality I've ever seen. People are struggling to freaking *live* over there, and some people couldn't care less... as long as they can level their damn characters.

FFS.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by domer88

Hmmm, I doubt that your opinion really speaks for everyone who plays this game.

Doesn't matter, since it speaks for enough people to make Square-Enix concerned about it. Those people they should be concerned about, not the "loyal players" who are not going to leave the game behind. There are a lot of both types.

Even if ff xiv fell apart and ceses to exist in a year (could happen, its been a rocky start) all these people will be fine from a business sense, there will always be more projects to work on. 

It's still not about the people but the company behind it. If Square can do something about it, they will.

This game has definitely been losing tons of potential profit in the last few months (since launch) and they STILL have jobs.  A natural disaster of this time only delays them, they may take precautions after this to host servers somewhere else but no one saw this coming and now priorities shift for the good of the whole and not some pissed off gamers..   Imagine a disaster of this magnitude destroying Tokyo and affecting a mass amount of gaming world wide, now that would really put gamers like yourself in some turmoil, but as of now chill out man, everything will be fine, have some compasion for the Japanese people. 

It's not. about. the people. The Japanese companies need to stay competitive. This is the only way to do it. They need to do more, they need to do better if they don't want to get left behind. The market economy doesn't wait for them. That's the reality.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by WSIMike

They're doing what they need to do.

Yes. They need to stay competitive, and they are trying their hardest to do so (as according to Yoshida's letter). It is necessary for S-E and it is necessary for the whole economy of Japan (which S-E is a part of). They are not emotionless but they know their realities- life must go on, and they have some catching up to do. Those who are capable of working will work as hard as they can, those who have families in the affected areas can go to take care of them. As it should be.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".