Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF Harder MMORPG

IkegIkeg Member Posts: 60

Well, I'm looking for a harder MMORPG, something that shackles you down and actually takes not necissarilly skill but some knowledge and time. WoW and Rift are boring to me, the graphics rock, it just seems like you have to really try to die and you can just waiste everything away pretty easily.

I recently went back to EQ2 FTP, and that is not happening. Sony is damn good at ruining games, you have the PTP "free" server and then you have EQ2 Live servers with no population. I'm not paying 15 a month plus buying races.

I was originally from EQ1 and I played some Lineage 1 as well, liked em both more EQ geared however.

So basically, I'm open to all suggestions doesn't matter the setting Sci-Fi or Fantasy, and it can be a completely different game like EVE (EVEs learning curve killed me last time, it seems like a game that's already developed a base of dedicated players and catching up would be almost impossible)

Population doesn't have to be huge, just a large population on a single server. I don't care if the game only has one server but the server has a high population. It doesn't matter how big the total population is I won't ever be seeing anybody but the people on my server anyways.

(Also) What is this Darkpaw Fippy server I've been hearing about on EQ1.

Thanks all.

Everquest and Everquest 2 Veteran.

Comments

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

What kind of hard are we talking about?

Hard as in you need to press button X in a 0,01 second timeframe or you die hard?

Or hard as in you need to remember 10.000 things and constantly compare them hard?

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• AkuheiKoyiAkuheiKoyi Member Posts: 12

Fippy Darkpaw is a new progression server, think EQ when it launched back in '99.  From what I understand, all the bell and whistles of its modern version are stripped of it and every few months a new expansion is added to it, unlocking more content and readding the new stuff.

Other suggestions would be Tibia & Ryzom

• IkegIkeg Member Posts: 60

Hard as in it requires effort of any sort to do anything other than press 1 - 5 and fight the right mobs.

Both would work.

• IkegIkeg Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by AkuheiKoyi

Fippy Darkpaw is a new progression server, think EQ when it launched back in '99.  From what I understand, all the bell and whistles of its modern version are stripped of it and every few months a new expansion is added to it, unlocking more content and readding the new stuff.

That's very tempting, but I need to check if my next 3 years are clear on my calander first. What's the EQ population looking like? Same as other old MMOs a couple thousand?

• FallenDWCFallenDWC Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by AkuheiKoyi

Is it out yet?

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566
    Download the free trail of Vanguard Isle Of Dawn to see if you like it.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Guildwars have some really hard stuff, like Droknars forge and so on... The campaigns start simple enough but the original one have a lot harder average than Wow and Rift. Factions and Nightfall are easier however.It is of course a CORPG so it is instanced.

Otherwise you really have to go back many years to find a hard MMO, you wont find any with good graphics. 

Well, there is also Eve, but I got the impression you want something with PvE.

• IcegotenIcegoten Member UncommonPosts: 138

Vindictus is sort of hard when you are fighting bosses solo. You have to know when and what attacks to dodge and when you can attack. It is pretty easy early on but as you get higher level you start fighting harder bosses and they have some pretty challening things like a boss run where you fight boss after boss.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Ikeg

That's very tempting, but I need to check if my next 3 years are clear on my calander first. What's the EQ population looking like? Same as other old MMOs a couple thousand?

EQ1 (Flippy Flow or whatever the server is called) tells me when I logon in EU mornings that there are around 200 players in NewPlayer1 channel. Walking around in newbee area's (I just hit elvel 4 on my necro) I see a couple of players in the morning. During EU evenings it gets more crowded (300-400 players in NewPlayer1 channel), so I guess the progression servers are quite alive....

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

Fallen Earth or Darkfall comes to mind. If you havent already checked them out? Vanguard too but as much as i love it, i just cant stand the low population. And im on European side also... :(

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Archid

Fallen Earth or Darkfall comes to mind. If you havent already checked them out? Vanguard too but as much as i love it, i just cant stand the low population. And im on European side also... :(

Fallen Earth is no hard MMO... It's just the same as others with a bit of a sandbox effect in stats build in. Quests are just like other MMO's. Walk to X on the map, do your thing and return :'(

Vanguard I agree on to be harder, but too bad it's empty indeed, and for us EU players it's REAL empty at our times, even on the more populated US server :(

• NidgetNidget Member Posts: 1

well if you want a hard time consuming game...... final fantasy xi is the way to go.  ff xiv is still being worked on and not sure how that is going to turn out yet... but i like it but the challenge isnt there yet.  FFXI demands so much and nothing is given to you, although i cant speak of what has changed after the lvl cap increase this past winter

• powerbambipowerbambi Member UncommonPosts: 3

Just try EVE. Hardest mmo out there.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

The hardest content will always be other players. I suggest you start PvPing if you want a consistent challenge in a game. If you won't want repeditive PvP content and you don't mind timesinks (which is sounds like you dont since you like EQ1) Id suggest darkfall

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I'd suggest trying Wakfu's open beta, which launches 27.4. It might not be what you seek, but it's different and requires a lot more strategy than button mashing.

www.wakfu.com

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Anarchy Online

If you want to try a real "Exel" MMORPG, whole skill/equipment-system, contains a lot of depth. Most of time not just slapping stuff on, but have to aquire a other items to get stuff on. Combat isn't too hard though...

• russ1struss1st Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Ekaros

Anarchy Online

The hardest thing in AO is probably to tolerate it's 10 years old graphic engine.
  • SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

Originally posted by russ1st

Originally posted by Ekaros

Anarchy Online

The hardest thing in AO is probably to tolerate it's 10 years old graphic engine.

Rolf AO?? yeah right..

hardest mmo on market is darkfall online atm..

This is undiscussable

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Maybe "Dark age of camelot" is something for you. It has quite difficult pve and pvp (without ganker nerds).

Population is low, but good for such an old game.

• bambookbambook Member UncommonPosts: 180

hands down EVE online... its the best mmorpg out there, dont listen to anyone and dont form your opinion untill you participate in something major.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Vanguard. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin