Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview: Blizzard COO Sams Says 'Many Years In Front' Of WoW

Comments

• marquisk2marquisk2 Member Posts: 141

Sams said. "And I feel like we have set our company up to succeed on that. We have some of our most talented and most experienced developers on that team. Many of the people that built World of Warcraft are full time on that other team."

So basically they took many of the people that made wow and put it on their new project, and gave left overs for the current wow players.  No wonder why it's going downhill, and full of bugs.  So I guess wow players are just funding their new MMO now until it's released.

• ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114

It is not going downhill and is not full of bugs and that link does not support the  RIP stance you are taking.  Basically it is saying that they expect WOW to still be going strong for years. The irony is that it may take Blizzard to knock WOW off it's number 1 perch.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

What happens if you take the most skilled dev's from a project and leave the (lesser) skilled dev's up to run the game ?

You get less quality people, i was playing wow since the launch many many years ago, and Cataclysm made me quit.

They are dumping down the already easy game even more with each patch, my son is 12 years old and out of curiosity i let him run dungeons and raids.

He dint get kicked and the best part was he was number 3 in dps that evening raid and none had noticed it that my son was playing :D he died 3 times as he dint knew the encounters that well.

But come on WoW had its glory and its getting more boring with each patch they release -_-

Community consists of mostly youngsters with no respect to each other whatsoever.

Its a kids game anno 2011, they took over wow in WOTLK and now Cataclysm.

12 mil subs or not, its the community that make's or breaks a mmo. and the community is realy realy bad in wow.

• MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by Thebigbopper

It is not going downhill and is not full of bugs and that link does not support the  RIP stance you are taking.  Basically it is saying that they expect WOW to still be going strong for years. The irony is that it may take Blizzard to knock WOW off it's number 1 perch.

My statement of RIP WOW is a bit premature but it is rather apparent the company's primary focus is on the new MMO. I'm sure WOW will continue to release quality expansions for years to come but nothing on the scale of BC or Wotlk content wise. I forsee a rehashing as much as possible approach going forward which isn't necessarily bad but nothing exciting to say the least.

Simply put, WOW is winding down development wise and marketing will play a bigger part in new subscriptions and retention. Of course WOW will stay on top until trumped by their own new MMO which I'm excited to hear more about.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Mothanos

What happens if you take the most skilled dev's from a project and leave the (lesser) skilled dev's up to run the game ?

You get less quality people, i was playing wow since the launch many many years ago, and Cataclysm made me quit.

They are dumping down the already easy game even more with each patch, my son is 12 years old and out of curiosity i let him run dungeons and raids.

He dint get kicked and the best part was he was number 3 in dps that evening raid and none had noticed it that my son was playing :D he died 3 times as he dint knew the encounters that well.

But come on WoW had its glory and its getting more boring with each patch they release -_-

Community consists of mostly youngsters with no respect to each other whatsoever.

12 mil subs or not, its the community that make's or breaks a mmo. and the community is realy realy bad in wow.

He said SOME of the most.  Not all of the most.

Lets see.  WOW had 9 million subscribers when they started working on Titan.  Now they have 13 million subscribers.  My opinion is that the people who stayed with WOW were the more talented ones since the game has grown so much.

and yeah yeah yeah.. we have been hearing these WOW is dead posts since way back when we only had 5 million subscribers.

Originally posted by Azrile

Lets see.  WOW had 9 million subscribers when they started working on Titan.  Now they have 13 million subscribers.  My opinion is that the people who stayed with WOW were the more talented ones since the game has grown so much.

and yeah yeah yeah.. we have been hearing these WOW is dead posts since way back when we only had 5 million subscribers.

And from what I quoted up top it stated MANY had moved to the new project.  I saw how the quality of the game degraded in cata.  There were bugs in cutscenes that caused the cutscene to loop.  If that was created by one of their top notch programmers I'd be afraid of "Titan".

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

Slow down! I'm still getting used to the fake "12 million" thing. Don't get crazy and start throwing out fake "13 million" numbers. My poor brain can't handle it.

I personally don't care what official numbers are released. I trust what I see with my own eyes.  At the end of LK, Dalaran, SW, and IF were packed to the gills with players.  Now, it is hard to even fill SW.  People on my friends list have all but disappeared.   This doesn't tell me the game is growing in leaps and bounds.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Yeah, I'm sure blizzard took every ALL of their best developers off wow, because it is near death and their new mmo is a guarentee to be more successful than wow.    Poor wow players probably won't even get another expansion. 

I am convinced.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by Turdinator

Slow down! I'm still getting used to the fake "12 million" thing. Don't get crazy and start throwing out fake "13 million" numbers. My poor brain can't handle it.

Xsyon and Darkfall are number one.  People just don't know it yet.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

I did the samething with my kids, let them play for me while I watched a movie with my friends and none in the raid were the wiser.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Badaboom

Originally posted by Turdinator

Xsyon and Darkfall are number one.  People just don't know it yet.

Without a doubt, I mean all the numbers for WoW subs are clearly based on fantasy and only Nitche games could actually achieve any sort of REAL success.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Skilled game designers working on more than one project in 10 years? Where is this world coming to. They should be chained to their work stations and only work on one title ever, despite their talents being more usefull elsewhere!

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

My nextdoor neighbour and her 2 twin daughters aged 10 have and still play Wow, they too run endgame instances with ease.

Originally posted by DarkPony

Skilled game designers working on more than one project in 10 years? Where is this world coming to. They should be chained to their work stations and only work on one title ever, despite their talents being more usefull elsewhere!

Nope doesn't say working on more then one project.  Says they're working full time on Titan.  So the less trained are currently working on WOW content and it's showing.  That's probably  why they have to rehash every dungeon in the game instead of creating new content.  They can't figure out the code!

• ZarkanarZarkanar Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Daffid011

Yeah, I'm sure blizzard took every ALL of their best developers off wow, because it is near death and their new mmo is a guarentee to be more successful than wow.    Poor wow players probably won't even get another expansion. 

I am convinced.

That entire statement...makes absolutely no sense.

------------------------
    Everyone on this site:
    1: MMORPGs are DOOMED, and I have the answers to save them!
    2: THIS game's gonna kill WoW!
    3: I wish things would go back to the Golden Age of MMORPGs, which only existed in my mind...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by sibs4455

My nextdoor neighbour and her 2 twin daughters aged 10 have and still play Wow, they too run endgame instances with ease.

As a point of note, I would like to point out that 'young children" can still do amazing things. How about all those suzuki violinists/child musicians who can play a lot better than older kids or adults?

Just because someone is young doesn't mean that they can't do certain things with the same skill as an adult. (though I have yet to see a child surpass a qualified adult.)

er this girl was 10 at this recording. Of course she is Sarah Chang, but there it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iog7cUijOeg

Kids have always done well at video games.

As far as This thread, I don't see why any game that has been devleoped has to have its original developers chained to that game. They know their product and they are professionals. I'm sure that Blizzard didn't go on craig's list or put up a flyer at the local supermarket to get WoW's current batch of developers.

I'm sure some of you are developers. Does that mean you could never be hired by an established company on an established game?

Also, the thought of two 10 year old twins playing WoW together with the family is too cute for words. ; )

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by sibs4455

As a point of note, I would like to point out that 'young children" can still do amazing things. How about all those suzuki violinists/child musicians who can play a lot better than older kids or adults?

Just because someone is young doesn't mean that they can't do certain things with the same skill as an adult. (though I have yet to see a child surpass a qualified adult.)

er this girl was 10 at this recording. Of course she is Sarah Chang, but there it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iog7cUijOeg

Kids have always done well at video games.

As far as This thread, I don't see why any game that has been devleoped has to have its original developers chained to that game. They know their product and they are professionals. I'm sure that Blizzard didn't go on craig's list or put up a flyer at the local supermarket to get WoW's current batch of developers.

I'm sure some of you are developers. Does that mean you could never be hired by an established company on an established game?

Also, the thought of two 10 year old twins playing WoW together with the family is too cute for words. ; )

It doesn't need to have the original developers, but it does need developers with the same skill level.  Clearly with the release of Cata and the more amount of bugs that came with it show that the developers that are on the game now aren't as skilled.  Along with the rehashing of old content, that's how most entry level developer positions start as. Updating, and changing their existing code.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That expertise in working with the most successful MMORPG in the world for the past several years will prove vital for the success of the new MMO. Sams assured that World of Warcraft is still under the watch of experienced staff, even though key members are moving onto Titan.

"We've spent a lot of time over the last number of years transitioning those people off [of World of Warcraft], and having great people below them that were trained up by them to run World of Warcraft," Sams said. "Those people have been doing it for the last couple of years without the assistance of those people that created it."

If the new people they trained up is so great why not move them to Titan instead and keep the old ones at Wow? I get the feeling that Wow is a second priority game now but he can't say that in an article so he wont upset the players.

Also he said that Wow is growing but 12 million players is not more than it was 2 years ago, it seeem rather stable to me. That in itself is great news for a game that is more than 6 years old of course, but I don't understand why he say it is growing.

Originally posted by Loke666

Also he said that Wow is growing but 12 million players is not more than it was 2 years ago, it seeem rather stable to me. That in itself is great news for a game that is more than 6 years old of course, but I don't understand why he say it is growing.

Wow still grew by 500,000 subscribers during that time.  It may not seem like a lot compared to the growth rate of wow in the past, but wow grew more than most games even have in total subscribers.  Many of them combined don't even add up to that.

Wow isn't going to last forever and any smart company knows they need to replace themselve before another company does, but it would be silly to think that a company is treating a billion+ dollar game as second place.  They can afford to build two teams easy.

Originally posted by Zarkanar

Originally posted by Daffid011

I am convinced.

That entire statement...makes absolutely no sense.

I was being sarcastic, so it really shouldn't make sense.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

That expertise in working with the most successful MMORPG in the world for the past several years will prove vital for the success of the new MMO. Sams assured that World of Warcraft is still under the watch of experienced staff, even though key members are moving onto Titan.

"We've spent a lot of time over the last number of years transitioning those people off [of World of Warcraft], and having great people below them that were trained up by them to run World of Warcraft," Sams said. "Those people have been doing it for the last couple of years without the assistance of those people that created it."

If the new people they trained up is so great why not move them to Titan instead and keep the old ones at Wow? I get the feeling that Wow is a second priority game now but he can't say that in an article so he wont upset the players.

"If the new people they trained up is so great why not move them to Titan instead and keep the old ones at Wow? I get the feeling that Wow is a second priority game now but he can't say that in an article so he wont upset the players." Becouse its harder to make a new game than to develop one that exists, simple. Also people are not born great, they become great so think of the new guys as the potential next great devs.

• MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

"Wow isn't going to last forever and any smart company knows they need to replace themselve before another company does, but it would be silly to think that a company is treating a billion+ dollar game as second place.  They can afford to build two teams easy."

They sound excited to be designing something new to overcome all of the limitiations WOW had. Kaplan is one of the original master minds behind Titan and from hearing his previous comments things will be different. He has talked about vehicle mechanics and how they were clunky in WOW. There have been comments that end game raiding cannot continue to be a viable form of end game etc. Just to name a few things. I'm not a big fan of overly streamlined questing but it's probably going to happen in Titan. Only 30% make it past level 10.

Now will his/their new ideas be widely accepted? I have my reservations ,so I had an intial shock in my perception that WOW was winding down to make room for Titan.

So who are they gonna rip off for their next gen MMO? ;).   I think a Red Dead Redemption style MMO could work really well. It's too new though but the GTA series has been out for a while.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

They announced a new all time record back in October, 2 months before Cata even launched.

Yes, if you hate Blizzard, you can say there are more bugs now, you can say that the game is worse now.  I play the game EXTENSIVELY.. and the only bug I have ever really noticed is the herbs in the western part of twilight highlands that show up on my radar, but are not really there.  That is it.  I have never heard a player say anything about cut scenes looping or anything like that.  I have heard some player complain about cut scenes that you can´t bypass, but as blizzard says, those cutscenes are used so that the terrain can be changed in the background without you noticing it. (clever in my opinion).

Also, to those that say the game isn´t as balanced now as it was then.  I´ll have you look at sites like stateofdps.com which clearly show that all but 1 dps spec is viable now and withing a few percent of the leaders.   Back in the early days of raiding, you were lucky if you had 5 different specs that could raid.   Moonkin?  ha.. enhancment shaman?  haha.     Also, the detail in the raid boss fights are amazing now.  In the early days, the majority of fights were mostly tank and spank with one mechanism or two.  Now,  almost every boss fight has 3 phases, and each phase has a bunch of mechansims all going on at the same time.   The same thing is true of 5 mans.  Every single 5 man boss in Vanilla was tank and spank.  There is not a SINGLE tank and spank 5 man boss now.

Vanilla wow gets a lot of creidt because it was drasticalloy better than it´s competition.  But everything about the game now is more balanced and more interesting and more smooth.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

They announced a new all time record back in October, 2 months before Cata even launched.

Yes, if you hate Blizzard, you can say there are more bugs now, you can say that the game is worse now.  I play the game EXTENSIVELY.. and the only bug I have ever really noticed is the herbs in the western part of twilight highlands that show up on my radar, but are not really there.  That is it.  I have never heard a player say anything about cut scenes looping or anything like that.  I have heard some player complain about cut scenes that you can´t bypass, but as blizzard says, those cutscenes are used so that the terrain can be changed in the background without you noticing it. (clever in my opinion).

Also, to those that say the game isn´t as balanced now as it was then.  I´ll have you look at sites like stateofdps.com which clearly show that all but 1 dps spec is viable now and withing a few percent of the leaders.   Back in the early days of raiding, you were lucky if you had 5 different specs that could raid.   Moonkin?  ha.. enhancment shaman?  haha.     Also, the detail in the raid boss fights are amazing now.  In the early days, the majority of fights were mostly tank and spank with one mechanism or two.  Now,  almost every boss fight has 3 phases, and each phase has a bunch of mechansims all going on at the same time.   The same thing is true of 5 mans.  Every single 5 man boss in Vanilla was tank and spank.  There is not a SINGLE tank and spank 5 man boss now.

Vanilla wow gets a lot of creidt because it was drasticalloy better than it´s competition.  But everything about the game now is more balanced and more interesting and more smooth.

While this is true, I like many others are simply bored of the same game just getting more polish for 6 years and are now looking for something new.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

This is all common sense. It's natural for developers to want to work on a new project.

WoW will get more and more expansions. If anything WoW will be the last MMO to stop receiving content from the MMOs which are currently on the market.

WoW has a much larger developer team than most MMOs even now. IF they move someone from WoW they hire new people to take their place. It's normal for them to rely on trusted people to build up their new game rather then HIRE new people for it. It's common sense.

Also people who played WoW for 1-3 + years and then they smack talk WoW? Well it really shows what kind of person you are!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.