Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Faction Betrayal

reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

One of the things I love about EQ2 is betrayal. I can start out as a good race (a dwarf), and betray the good side and join the evil races. This added a whole new element to the game. I wasn't just doing solo quests and random dungeons, I was grinding faction for a new home. I started as a Paladin, and I decided to switch it up a bit. If you know EQ2, you know that only good races can be Paladins, and only evil races can be the Shadowknight. I thought it would be fun to be a Dwarf Shadowknight. So began a new chapter in my epic adventure, a quest to pursue the darker side.

WoW doesn't have the same kind of class restrictions as EQ2, so there's no "good" or "bad" classes. But I still think WoW could benefit from a betrayal system. I think it would be fun to be a Dwarf for the Horde, or a Forsaken for the Alliance. For nothing more than feeling unique and having more freedom to create the character you want. I play on a PVP server, so there's no RP going on there, but it would still be fun to add that "betrayal" adventure to my character's background.

Do you think WoW would benefit from a faction betrayal system? Would it interfere with lore, or does the lore have room for traitors and deserters?

another thought: What if Blizzard added a third "neutral" faction specifically for betrayal? You start as Horde or Alliance, then betray to join the neutral faction. Maybe the neutral faction capital city would always be in contested territory. The PVP possibilities are endless.

Comments

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I am actually thinking there is a small chance that in the next expansion, both factions split.  There is a lot of lore going on that suggests both factions are about to break up.   On the alliane side, there are a lot of issues with the dwarves.  and the worgen are very close now to the NEs and still have big issues with the humans.

The horde side is much more obvious.  Garrosh and the trolls almost went to war, and Sylvanas and Garrosh are going to have some type of huge fallout soon.  Garrosh killed the leader of the Tauren.... but is very close with the blood elves and goblins.

From a gameplay perspective.  It would create a lot of exciting good things.  It would solve a lot of pvp queue time issues.

My hunch is that each faction is going to split, but players themselves will be able to chose which faction within their own faction they want ot play.  So while Sylvanas will definitely not be in the same factio with Garrosh, undead players will be able to join Garrosh´s faction. 

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Originally posted by Azrile

I am actually thinking there is a small chance that in the next expansion, both factions split.  There is a lot of lore going on that suggests both factions are about to break up.   On the alliane side, there are a lot of issues with the dwarves.  and the worgen are very close now to the NEs and still have big issues with the humans.

The horde side is much more obvious.  Garrosh and the trolls almost went to war, and Sylvanas and Garrosh are going to have some type of huge fallout soon.  Garrosh killed the leader of the Tauren.... but is very close with the blood elves and goblins.

From a gameplay perspective.  It would create a lot of exciting good things.  It would solve a lot of pvp queue time issues.

My hunch is that each faction is going to split, but players themselves will be able to chose which faction within their own faction they want ot play.  So while Sylvanas will definitely not be in the same factio with Garrosh, undead players will be able to join Garrosh´s faction. 

They would have to give players the option to stay with their guilds or friends, so definitely they'd let us choose our side. That sounds like a really cool idea, a good way to allow the warcraft universe to continue growing.