Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera = Sandbox?

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I was reading through its faq and this came up

"TERA is an open-world sandbox game with certain instanced areas."

Srsly how come Ive never seen anything about tera being sandbox?? :o   Anyone got more info pl0x?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

That's because tera is not a sandbox,  it's themepark game with a sandbox feel to it.  Open world with many ways to advance your character and explore but it still has quests and everything else you will find in a themepark.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

So its a theme park but the devs just randomly put sandbox in it? -.-

So itll be basically like WoW progression wise?

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Castillle

Progression wise yes, Tera uses levels to advance your character and not like what Darkfall has as far as character progression.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

Progression wise yes, Tera uses levels to advance your character and not like what Darkfall has as far as character progression.

Well what I mean is that if I wanna level up, I have to quest grind to get decent amounts of exp over time?

Or can I just go team and stuff all the time and do group stuff? Or can I roam the world with my friends and explore randomly and level up?

( o.o)
    (")(")

Originally posted by stayontarget

Well what I mean is that if I wanna level up, I have to quest grind to get decent amounts of exp over time?

Or can I just go team and stuff all the time and do group stuff? Or can I roam the world with my friends and explore randomly and level up?

These are the way's you can lvl up in tera.

1) Do the story quest line.  (gives ton's of exp and good gear, should be done by everyone, unlocks other quest.)

2) Regular quest.  (easy to do, low exp, some gold reward, these can be found in various villages and outpost)

3) Party mobs.  (these can be done with 1 to 5 players and gives about 8% if soloed)

4) Repeatable quest.  (these are for ppl that like to grind, Pick up the quest then go grind to your hearts content)

5) Guild quest / medal quest.  (rewards medals when completed, not sure about exp for these quest).

:o thaaanksss

( o.o)
    (")(")

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352

Srsly how come Ive never seen anything about tera being sandbox?? :o   Anyone got more info pl0x?

What FAQ says it's a sandbox, link please?  TERA is alot of things but a sandbox aint one of them hehe

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Isn't a sandbox a game where you can, you know... build stuff?

I know this usually comes with skill-based progression and a large open world but I think the major factor is the ability to actually build stuff in the persistant game world. Like POS in EvE and guild cities in DF.

I wouldn't call a skill-based game where the only content is quests, raids and arenas a sandbox. It's still a themepark.

A large open world is starting to sound more like it but unless there's actually a way to create a lasting impact on that world I'd still not call it a sandbox.

A game where you can build say a house, wall etc. in a large number of locations and will stay in the game-world until another player makes the decision to remove it.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by SwampDragons

What FAQ says it's a sandbox, link please?  TERA is alot of things but a sandbox aint one of them hehe

He is not wrong. There is/was a faq or interview of some sort that did indeed state that.

That's at least what they claim(ed).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

There are several grades of sandboxy unlike popular belief..

For instance you have the sandbox type of Mortal Online and Darkfall, which are soft-sandboxes

And then you have the heavy sandboxes like Xyson and Haven and Hearth

However I wouldnt put tera in neither of these categories, there are quests, dungeons, pre-defined classes, Tera is not sandbox by a long-shot, maybe the feel of the political system make it a bit more sandbox, but it stills dont make it a sandbox

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Eve has quests. Do you guys think that Eve isn't a "sandbox?"

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by SwampDragons

He is not wrong. There is/was a faq or interview of some sort that did indeed state that.

That's at least what they claim(ed).

I am not saying he is wrong, I am saying who ever wrote it is wrong or wrong about what he thinks a sandbox is. And I would like a link :)