Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any reason to buy Gold in WOW these days

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Another thread in the forum is discussing whether or not Blizzard should sell gold in game to increase profitability.

I'm just curious how large this market might really be today.

Back when I first played WOW, gold was hard to earn, and I recall how difficult it was to buy mounts and in particular, the upgraded moutns.  But since then most good gear can only be earned by actually playing the game (BOP) and its gotten very easy to earn gold

I recently returned to play Catacylsm and starting a fresh character on a new server I had no trouble making enough gold from doing skinning /herbalism to fund all my mounts and any other expense, fund any gear/skills that I needed and even gave my son 2000K to help him with his mounts.  (He favored a PVP path and engineering)

When I left (after 2 months of play) I had earned almost 10K extra which I spend a good portion on a blue PVP set and still had 3K in the bank.

So, is there really any demand to buy gold anymore.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

i never thought it was worth it.  Everything is availabe to everyone if they are willing to work for it.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

There are actually two different questions in there;

1 - Is there a need to buy gold?

2 - Is there a demand for gold?

On the first, well no there isn't really as the rewards for questing, dailies and selling basic craft items is so high now that 1000g is so easy to come by, why spend extra money on top of your sub.

On the second question, well unfortunately yes as some people are just far too lazy to be bothered to actually play the game to get what they want, and as the markets have tended to raise prices in line with the availability of gold some people just see it as the 'easy' way to get the gear. In line with that, the price of buying gold (if you actually believe the ads) has fallen drastically where prices as little as a year ago were £10-15 per 1000g, you can buy it for as little as £0.60 per 1000g now.

Of course along with gold buying comes the risks which i have never seen as worth the trouble personally, the high risk of having your account hacked by just visiting these types of sites, the risk of getting your account banned and of course the almost 100% chance that you will just be plain ripped off anyway.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by marquisk2

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

However ontopic: No I have never bought gold, I have been long against having someone effectively play the game for me if the game provides an avenue to gain it.  In fact I treat it as a mini game wheeling and dealing myself as a market.  I do know at least 1 person who has bought gold and he was a horrible individual that failed his trial in a hc guild.

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Everything is availabe to everyone if they are willing to work for it.  

I'm too old to work two jobs.

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

With the dungeon finder, and getting at least a single character as a farmer.....mining, skinning, herb....you'll have more money than you'll know what to do with.  I dont find professions to be much of a money maker on my server...cept for flasks, seems like everyone is self dependant within their guilds...everyone makes everything for everyone kinda thing.  The Dungeon finder makes buying gear pretty much useless till your 85 and want an epic piece, and that can easily be covered by you gatherer.  Of course theres always gonna be those lazy people who dont want to work for their money, those ppl will buy gold...but really, with an hour every day or two gathering, I now have more money than I need to spend.....I'm talking thousands of gold still sitting in my bags, not just enough to get by.  So to answer your question.....there is NO reason to buy gold!

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

No not anymore really.  My account was comprised while I was away from the game during Wrath and the guy left with me pretty much no gold, and while Blizzard was very good about getting gear and such back, they didn't give me my gold back.  Came back to try out Cataclysm (left a week later but thats another story) and by the time I leveled one character to 85 and another to 83, I was overflowing with gold. 

I remember back in the day, when it was very tough to get the 1000g (or w/e it was) to get your level 60 epic mount, it did seem worth it to buy it.  Although I never did, as I was a struggling college student at the time, I did want to.  Seems like nowadays Blizz has done some pretty good things to lessen the need for RMT in WoW.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

It's so ridiculously easy and there are so many ways to get gold currently, I really don't understand why one can be lazy enough to support RMT.

Currency is part of any MMO, why think you're above it and break the ToS for that?

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

The devs were smart and did this on purpose..  The real stuff in the game is bought with currencys that are stuck to your character.   its the reason you don´t see gold farmers any more in WOW... even for someone in China, it is not cost effective to grind mobs.  The way they do make gold is hack accounts, which requires little time.

The only high priced stuff in the game is vanity items...  like the alchemist thing that turns you into a mount.  Currently selling for 50k or so depending on the server.

To the OP.  It´s nice to start a thread for discussion.  But try to stick to the truth.  the ´pvp´ set cannot be bought for gold... it is bought with honor and conquest points, which you have to earn and can´t trade.  There is low level pvp gear that is craftable and sellable.. but  it costs almost nothing at the AH because most crafters make those items to level up there characters.  There is no way you spent 7k on your ´pvp´gear.  If someone spent 500 buying all the craftable pvp gear, it would be a lot.  And nobody buys it much simply because the honor gear is so easy to get and is a huge upgrade over the craftable stuff.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Wicoa

Originally posted by marquisk2

I'm surprised they didn't profit off of class transfers yet since that's all they do.  The game is maintained by inexperienced developers where the old developers moved on to their new project.  So that's why the game has turned to crap.

Theres some truth to this even blizz announced that their best wow devs were working on titan.

However ontopic: No I have never bought gold, I have been long against having someone effectively play the game for me if the game provides an avenue to gain it.  In fact I treat it as a mini game wheeling and dealing myself as a market.  I do know at least 1 person who has bought gold and he was a horrible individual that failed his trial in a hc guild.

Blizzard announced no such thing.  To the best of my knowledge, they have only ever mentioned one persons name who moved from WOW and is working on the new project, and he is not considered a good WOW since he is the one that was in charge early on when there was nothing to do at endgame but raid.. anyone remember raid2play?  that was his feelings.

I am sure others have moved over.. but Blizzard never said the best ones, and they certainly would not deplete a game that has 13 million subscribers and just broke a new record.

• robalecarobaleca Member Posts: 45

i dont think u need to, right before i quit like a month ago i needed some gold so i farmed leather in twilight highlands and traded it for the blue leatherworking item. i made 40k that week with a few hrs a day and i think its overkill and way more than enough for the rest of the expansion. only gold i was spending was for 3 flasks and like 2 stacks of food a week for raiding.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I played WoW since beta 2 and there has never been a reason to buy gold in the game. Gold has always been insanely easy to acquire and crafted items lag behind dropped items so fast they have never really been worth paying a lot for.