Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its March, wheres my Planetside Next? dammit!!11!!!

ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Anyone else feel the same way?

Comments

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Yes, I ve been waiting for this game to play as a second MMO. I loved the first until the sorta wrecked it, but I m looking forward to this.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by Soki123

Yes, I ve been waiting for this game to play as a second MMO. I loved the first until the sorta wrecked it, but I m looking forward to this.

Yeah I cannot wait... PS was awesome in its heyday, hopefully SOE will not screw this up...

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272

I'm waiting for the, "oops I meant March 2012, my bad."

Yeah, lets not jinx ourselves just yet with that kind of talk... We are dealing with SOE here, we don't need something like that working against us as well.

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

I'm a little worried about the lack of information and communication coming from Smedley and the SoE camp.  I want with every fiber to believe that this game has a chance to be at the very least "good" but to do that it would need more than just a graphical overhaul.  I really hope there's more to the Next factor with some actual reconstruction on a new/updated engine and not just a face lift.

I'm still excited to see more and checking for any GDC updates, but the last two times I let myself get this excited about games I pre-ordered WAR and FFXIV.  I have so many good memories of the original Planetside, I hope this doesn't go the route of the two previously mentioned games.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

I would love a planetside next, but the whole 'development' so far (if there is any) is so sketchy, im a little skeptical over the whole thing. I have no idea what SOE are playing at, but they need to release some information soon.

Other than that, i think SOE has way bigger problems on their hands, ala www.firefallthegame.com

• FntSize72LOLFntSize72LOL Member Posts: 45

Yeah, i cant wait. I'm hoping when it gets released we'll have pops like they were in 04-05. Fun times.

Though from what i read, there were a few different speculations floating around. There was the March 2011 date, then you had Q1/Q2 2011. Either way, i'm going to follow it weekly and hopefully we can get more info than a few images and paragraph blubs.

March 3rd, I'm starting to get nervous.........

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177

This is going to end up turning out like Anarchy Online's new engine.

March 10th... I feel the doom approaching, soon the calls of VAPORWARE will cry out...Come on SOE do something right for once!

• Berserker202Berserker202 Member Posts: 44

From what i heard they are too far along for vaporware. However you just need to be patient, there could be delays, or the actual date may simply be later in the month. You can start calling doom when the month turns over, until then, sit tight :)

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by ubermut
    I'm waiting for the, "oops I meant March 2012, my bad."

yea, thats what im thinking now.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

Half way through the month and not a word... tick tock, tick tock...

• shaon94shaon94 Member Posts: 41

I want to point out again that they are not going to launch in March.  I swear sometimes that excitment outweighs common sense.  Yes I know that SOE Smedly say that there would be a launch in march and that it would be within the FPS genre, but he did not say Luanch of the retail version of Planetside Next in March.  You are all completly out of your minds if you really think that in the next 13 days a full game will be completly released that we have heard VERY little to nothing about without even one video of ingame footage, let alone ANY playtesting in either Alpha or beta...  Are you all new to the MMO world?  We are looking at next year at BEST for this game to go full retail 

The "Launch" could be any of the following:  the Launch of the marketing campaign, Launch of production to make a playable in house demo, launch of Alpha, launch of beta, launch of "Hello Kitty Online II :The war" ( a new FPS game I just dreamed up, but has as much chance of being true as a Full retail game there is almost no infomration on launching in the next 13 days)

Take a breath, think for a second, and you to might come to a rational conclusion.  Then again maybe not. 

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I agree with Shaon94 here, expecting otherwise isn't really fair to SOE, or any other developer for that matter. Just like he said, it could be launch of the official website or similar. It could even be in regards to some other title entirely as well.

Also, the quote is old, and what have we learned after years and years in the MMO swing of things? Things are never written in stone, especially not with an unofficial quote from a personal twitter account, CEO or not. Personally, I would take the note more seriously it was from a senior community manager, their marketing manager/team or something. In other words, something more official than a tease.

Having said that I still think that was pretty ugly of Smed. He for one should know that fans take anything and everything, and just run with it. I would've rather have him say nothing at all instead of having the risk of being misunderstood by some fans and have them be disappointed in the process.

If you are going to say something, make sure the information is correct, valid and trustworthy. Also, being articulate and clear doesn't hurt either, leaving no one hanging in doubt and uncertainty.

Anyways, still a few days left of March. Let's see if something pops up before April. :)

• AvathosAvathos Member UncommonPosts: 155

I agree with the OP.

My trigger finger itches  to start shooting my CHAINGUN

LONG LIVE THE TERRAN REPUBLIC!

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

over the hill and far away?

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Just watched a video about Planetside Next, and it left me wondering if these developers are going to add something that looks like modern physics and animations anytime this decade?

Coming from a shooter background since wolfenstien and doom, I cannot stand how the planetside games have a complete lack of "feel", or "weight" to anything.  Even the guns stand almost completely still while you fire them. With today's games like the Battlefield franchise, I see no excuse why this game should be made this way.  Hell, even the old (and awesome) Tribes games felt more alive.

I guess I'll keep my eye out for version 3 or 4.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• shaon94shaon94 Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Just watched a video about Planetside Next, and it left me wondering if these developers are going to add something that looks like modern physics and animations anytime this decade?

Coming from a shooter background since wolfenstien and doom, I cannot stand how the planetside games have a complete lack of "feel", or "weight" to anything.  Even the guns stand almost completely still while you fire them. With today's games like the Battlefield franchise, I see no excuse why this game should be made this way.  Hell, even the old (and awesome) Tribes games felt more alive.

I guess I'll keep my eye out for version 3 or 4.

You did not see video of planetside next.  Any video you saw of planetside next is actually video of planetside the original.  keep an eye out they say the physics in the next game is going to be much better.

Originally posted by Avathos

I agree with the OP.

My trigger is itchy to start shooting my CHAINGUN

LONG LIVE THE TERRAN REPUBLIC!

Yes sir, forget those noob tubin NC and phaser using Vanu... TR is where its at baby! Long live the RED TEAM!

So almost four days left in the month and not a peep out of SOE... Who wants to bet if they do announce anything, it will be on March 31st so Smed can save face by saying "the announcement did take place in March..."

• Guardian707Guardian707 Member UncommonPosts: 17

I'm just curious.  You guys keep in sync with their facebook page?  

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Planetside-Next/176201025741380

If the link doesn't work, just look up planetside next in FB and "like" thier page.  Updates posted every now and again. 

Its not going to be march.  1st quarter actually includes april doesn't it, but even then, who knows.  Its out when its out.  Till then, stay tuned.

What I could really go for right now is for someone to come out with a steampunk based true MMORPG with twitch based action, split-game design for balanced PVE/PVP (changes based on target) in an original graphically-pleasing partially-player-atlering world. but thats me...

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

As a PlanetSide fan, you should be accustomed to disappointment.

• AdardowenAdardowen Member UncommonPosts: 69

Bad news:

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/Rumor-SOE-Layoffs-Studio-Closings.html#20101

SOE closures and layoffs. Think this might affect PS Next?

• Berserker202Berserker202 Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Adardowen

Bad news:

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/Rumor-SOE-Layoffs-Studio-Closings.html#20101

SOE closures and layoffs. Think this might affect PS Next?

It sounds like it mostly involved the studio/studios involved in The Agency. I never quiet thought that game was going to come to fruition. However, it isn't impossible planetside is involved, it just isn't mentioned.