Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Truth & Lies

pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

I after experiencing most mainstream mmos(ptp and ftp) and even spendign some money on niche games i ended up trying Entropia Universe. For starters let me tell you that EU , as a mmo is a very decent one! I trully love many aspects of it (world design,economy,immersion and variety of gameplay. Not as far as the whole PED thing...One thing is for sure...someone needs to invest a lot of time (aparta from real money) on this. But i am willing to give it a try as long as i get some clarification concerning some issues:

1) Does someone really has a good chance of gaining some bucks by playing EU? Of course i mean playing with caution and as smart as is possible. I am not aiming for thousands of dollars of course but i wouldnt mind if EU could pay my other monthly mmo fees( 15-50 euros) from time to time....

2) Is there a certain mathematical connection between how much money you invest and how much you can make?

Meaning that if someone invests 100$ has a lot more chance to gain some PED than someone investing 10$ ?

If thats the case should someone even dare to invest more?

3) What type of gameplay (hunting,mining etc) is the cheapest and which is the most expensive? On the other hand which is the most possible to gain PED when mastered?

4) How important is the factor of LUCK in this game. Does luck increases according to the real $ invested?

5)What would be(in your opinion) the most important  factors in the success of a player (success as in PED making)

6) I noticed events happenin all the time. Are those event planners making PED with this type of activities or the opposite?(*because i noticed they all give prizes)

7)Is the population of this game rising or not?  (its certain that the more the people, the more possibilities you can gain from this type of economy)

Thanks for anyone answering!

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

the game is nothing less than a scam, and an expensive one at that, if your looking for the F2P game that gives all other F2P games a bad name, then look no further, this is your game!

if i had to say whether the games population was increasing or declining, i would have to say its probably stagnant.. the only ones there are most likely the ones with a vested interest.

normally i would advise anyone who was thinking of buying a game etc, to try before buying.. with EU i would make the exception, and advise people to steer well clear of it.. image

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Originally posted by pupurun

I after experiencing most mainstream mmos(ptp and ftp) and even spendign some money on niche games i ended up trying Entropia Universe. For starters let me tell you that EU , as a mmo is a very decent one! I trully love many aspects of it (world design,economy,immersion and variety of gameplay. Not as far as the whole PED thing...One thing is for sure...someone needs to invest a lot of time (aparta from real money) on this. But i am willing to give it a try as long as i get some clarification concerning some issues:

1) Does someone really has a good chance of gaining some bucks by playing EU? Of course i mean playing with caution and as smart as is possible. I am not aiming for thousands of dollars of course but i wouldnt mind if EU could pay my other monthly mmo fees( 15-50 euros) from time to time....

2) Is there a certain mathematical connection between how much money you invest and how much you can make?

Meaning that if someone invests 100$ has a lot more chance to gain some PED than someone investing 10$ ?

3) What type of gameplay (hunting,mining etc) is the cheapest and which is the most expensive? On the other hand which is the most possible to gain PED when mastered?

4) How important is the factor of LUCK in this game. Does luck increases according to the real $ invested?

5)What would be(in your opinion) the most important  factors in the success of a player (success as in PED making)

6) I noticed events happenin all the time. Are those event planners making PED with this type of activities or the opposite?(*because i noticed they all give prizes)

7)Is the population of this game rising or not?  (its certain that the more the people, the more possibilities you can gain from this type of economy)

Some more opinions on the matter ?

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

Some more opinions on the matter ?

i think just about everyone feel's the same as that guy. only people i know of that made money from this game, started at launch and ran heal bots on there main to endless grind and fight with no death.

• narfinarfi Member UncommonPosts: 178

1. playing with caution and as smart as possible you have a high chance of breaking even or slight losses. Play for break even/slight loss for long enough and you will potentialy get lucky and get the "big one" But dont expect to make alot of money and you wont be dissapointed.

I played very conservativly for 2.5 years and had a ton of fun spending 0-50 dollars a month probably average of 25 during that time after my first 6months of playing for free. After that 2.5 years I hit a lucky one which was a 16.5K ped (1,650usd) loot. The 16.5k was very nice, but as a bonus part of it was an item which in turn i sold for an extra 32k ontop of its base value. It took me several months to find a buyer for the knife, but once the sale had taken place and i had sold everything from that one single loot, it had brought me in over 4 thousand usd.

It is possible, but dont expect it, I certainly dont expect it to ever happen to me again, and im back to playing carefuly and enjoying myself.

Investments certainly will help you reduce your costs ingame which translates to more profit when your profiting, or less loss when your loosing. When invested wisely they can only help you. (squandered money will just piss you off though when you realize you wasted it on something stupid)

It is all about risk vs reward. Because there is an aspect of luck in everything. The more you risk the greater chance of a greater reward, but its also the chance at greater loss.

Mining unamped is the smartest and cheapest activity in the game.

Hunting can be cheap or expensive depending on the mob you hunt and the gear you use. Rewards vary accordingly.

Crafting is the hardest to get into and is the profession most closely resembling gambling. You can spend way too much crafting without realizing what you are doign wrong. It is also the most calculatable way to make ped off of markup if you can understand it and do the math and invest in the proper "monopoly" blueprints.

Luck is important, but you can work around it if you are careful. Like anything though when luck is against you its hard to succede. Some people beleive they are more lucky when they have recently invested real money, but I have seen both lucky and unlucky after depositing, and i have seen both lucky and unlucky from after long droughts of not depositing. I think people just see patterns where they want to and in reallity it has no affect on your "luck"

Successful ped making requires investment and hard work, and the diciplin not to do the "fun" activities in the game. There are of course exceptions, but the few "ubers" who make big money hunting all day every day have years of experience, skills and gear. (thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars)

Player run events can bring profit to the event creaters, but that is entirely up to how well they run and market the events. The ingame event system requires fees to setup, and then you need to supply prizes. So a good event coordinator will be able to sell more than enough tickets to cover the costs of the creation and prizes in order to profit for themselves.

Yes the population is rising, but slowly. There have been 2 new planets created in the last year, and there are a couple more to be released this year. The two current "new" ones arent fully functional yet but when they are I expect to see a big publicity campaign and we will see alot more new players. The new ones this year also will be doing their own advertizing so I feel that the future is very bright for this game.

Hope that answers some of your questions :)

I really wouldnt recommend playing because you think you will make money, that will jsut frustrate you when you dont. If it was easy then everyone would do it and the game would go out of buisness. Remember the devs still need to get paid.

A simple rule of thumb is that you should expect to get about 90% back from what you spend in any given activity in the long run.  That is the base cost in vs the base cost out. suppose you go mining and spend 100ped, you would on AVERAGE get about 90ped of resources. the trick then is to sell those resources for a markup that will cover your losses. If you target resources that you can sell for 115% then your 90ped that you found can now be sold for 103.5ped and you have profited 3.5ped (35cents woopidiedoda) for playing a game with no subscription fees.

You need to minimize the markup you pay for your gear, and maxamize the markup you sell your loot and resources for in order to succede at this game.

Look at it like a big economics simulator and you will do well, play like a normal mmo and you will loose alot of money fast.

Hopefully it is something you enjoy, I do. (just be careful)

gl and have fun,

narfi

• EU_RAZEREU_RAZER Member Posts: 85

I could not have said it better myself !

• TorschenTorschen Member Posts: 78

1) Smart playing can keep you playing indefinitely, unless you are really unlucky. It can happen. Opposite too. But I would not count on this game dishing out money to pay your other games, of course unless you are a serious investor but thats another matter.

2) Think its about 90-95% estimate what you get back from what you put in, pretty much in every profession (playing smart ofc). After that its a matter of selling the stuff you loot with enough markup to actually profit or break even. Again, big investors are completely another story

3) Hunting is the simplest. Shoot stuff, correct level for your skills and weapons, and observe the regular return (depending on mob it can vary a lot though, weeks of 60% return, and then some week that pays everything back, or vice versa). Mining is better in such way that when you learn where are minerals that sell with good price, you will propably do better with that. But you must first pay for the learning time, bombing around and looking for the good places. Unless you find folk who give you good hints. Crafting - can't say really. To me it seems it need really massive investment before you can make something that ppl actually like to buy, but I'm a noob crafter.

4) Luck is all essential. Perseverance is even more. I don't know if there are "unlucky avatars" or "lucky ones", it certainly seems so sometimes, but mostly it all evens after an extended period of hunting/mining/crafting. So I say luck is not so important :p I have seen ppl score real big first weeks, and others playing years never getting anything interesting. Only way to cope with that randomness is trying to focus on the main point: play smart.

5) Patience.

6) Sometimes they do, sometimes they do not. If there is free event for hunters, and the prize is 100peds, and you see how many participate and the tax is 4%, you can do some estimates.

7) Horribly hard to say. People are in Calypso, its two asteroids, Rocktropia, Next Island, and Planet Arkadia. And most like me are out hunting (or mining), hardly seen most of the time. One possible way to estimate over time is to check Entropia Tracker, that records all globals, to see if the amount of players is on the rise or not. My casual observations suggest that population is maybe stagnant, not declining really, but also not really booming.

Originally posted by Phry

the game is nothing less than a scam, and an expensive one at that, if your looking for the F2P game that gives all other F2P games a bad name, then look no further, this is your game!

Hehehe, this game creates a lot of hate. I think he refers to the pyramid scheme EU is suspected of. Yes, those who were in the beta period have a really unfair advantage. Then again, those ppl are starting to be very few (at least actively playing). Those who steadily get tax money from us presently are those who also invested a lot to this game, like Deathifier (26k USD), NEVERDIE (100k USD), Buzz (hmm 330k USD), and numerous others who payed like 30k USD for land areas. I can't play in that level, but calling that a scam is the same as calling our lovely capitalistic world a scam :)

Cheers!