Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO looks very popular still...

2»

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Plenty of people on when I'm around, usually. Enjoying the hell out of the space combat so far, but ground combat is... meh. Taking a 'wait and see' attitude toward the upcoming ground combat revamp, if it does indeed improve things I'll probably stay subbed for a while. If not, well, no big loss. I definitely don't see the 'OMGWTF THIS GAME IS HORRIBAFUCKUS!!!" stuff I kept reading about at launch.

• NirwylNirwyl Member Posts: 103

Don't mistake lots of people playing STO for STO being a good game. There are millions of Trekkies out there that will play STO for years no matter how bad it is. Yes the game has gotten better in the last year, more polished, but the core gameplay hasn't changed a bit.

• Edward_KEdward_K Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by Nirwyl

Don't mistake lots of people playing STO for STO being a good game. 

And dont mistake people saying they dont like STO(or anything else for that matter) for it being bad. Being able to make up your OWN mind is a very important part of life, so never let other people make choices for you. Try things yourself and decide what you like and what you dont. I guarantee you that whatever game Nirwyl happens to like, there are plenty of people that will tell you how bad it is. Which just goes to show you cant take what people say to mean anything as far as how you will feel about it.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

The likely cause of any population jump is a combination of Lifers sticking their head in to see what is new, and they fact that several of the larger online and other retailers have been blowing out their copies of STO for as little as $2.

As such, any bump in numbers is likely temporary, as people play the included month and then go, before they have to pay the (unwarranted) sub fee.

• CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152

I do see lots more folks playing STO and injoying see new people 

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

I enjoyed leveling in Star Trek.  Getting that next tier ship felt so good.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

I have to say that the latest weekly series was a job well done by the devs. If the game had that level of creativity and content throughout the entire game. It would be a very good game, not MMO, but game. And it looks like the dev's are going back to make adjustments with their new tools to make the leveling missions better.

To me, STO will become a very good place to get my Trek on. With the level of the new weekly series and player created content from the foundery. There will be a lot of content to play through. But it will still be a SPG or co-op game much more than a MMO. I still enjoy the space combat and the ground combat may be better with the new over the shoulder FPS view coming up. So I will continue to play because I enjoy ST and STO is the only place to do it really. With many passionate Trek fans making ST story missions to play.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152

were can you make your own missions that you always wanted to play? I know of no other MMO that let you use the tools set to make missions, the weekly missions have been top notch this far. The news from the Dev team have been very up beat, all new gourd combat, new exporler, and some of the older missions are getting reworked. So it seem theis game will be here for a long time to come. 

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

Resubbed last night.  I am amazed at how packed the server is.  I went to several sectors and each one is packed with players. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by D_TOX

So why the talk of 'dead space' and no-one around in-game? The forums are active in every single section, and some stretch back 2-4 pages long for posts from 'Today'. Most MMO's a year down the line have relatively dead forums, like WAR and AoC a year post-launch barely had 2-4 active topics a day. They were just as much 'failures' as STO. Has STO simply managed to successfully retain its die-hard trekkie fans with ease?

Im curious simply because i own the game but have yet to muster the enthusiasm to log in and play to see how its changed. It looks like a lot has improved. But what about core mechanics? For example are character stats/spec actually important now, or can everyone still be everything they want? IE: Engineer/science/tactic, no specific class roles etc.

Well to be honest the game is a decent space shooter game with some MMOG elements so I can see some people enjoying it. But it was that so many people, including me, expected so much more of the second largest sci-fi IP ever.

I for one expected to be able to live on a ship, not be the ship. And I expected alot less combat and alot more diplomacy and science, atleast if you played the feds.

Furthermore I expected the Klingon Fed Romulan conflict be better reflected in the world.

And I guess alot of other more hardcore Trekkies expected alot more indepth stuff. None of which was realised and hence why so many people are hating it.

Add on top of this that the game has RMT on top of the subscription fee and it becomes more and more evident why so many people are shitting on the game.

The equivalent I guess would be that SW:TOR would be like this game is, imagine the upset...