Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Allods Online worth a shot?

Have some hours since college finished a few months back so looking for a good mmo that isn't WoW. Have to admit the idea of astral battles sounds likes fun in Allods but can anyone who still plays tell me what it's like? Good and bad points?

I've read that it was great around this time last year, got destroyed with an  update around August (?) but the latest volume hs fixed a lot of things. True?

Comments

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

You might want to try something completely different. Most games including Allods are "WoW clones." I love Allods, the world is cool and i enjoyed the class and race choices but it is just another version of WoW so if youre bored of that style youll want something different.

Have you ever tried Vindictus? Worth a try for every gamer.

Allods is cool.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• FarReachFarReach Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by comrademario

so looking for a good mmo that isn't WoW.

So, why are you looking at Allods then?

Either way, it's a F2P game. The best way to get the best opinion about any game, is to try it yourself. Things are much easier when the game you want to try is completely free, at least until you decide to spend money on it. 

If you want my opinion, then it's pretty much what I said in the first sentence. There is no reason to play a knockoff of a game, when you can just play the original. If you really don't want to play the original, there are much better knockoffs than Allods.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

I havent played since the cash shop debacle. That being said, I think it's still a good game. Just keep in mind you may have to put in extra hours to play for free.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

I started to play this game afew days ago myself. So far it's got it's good points and bad points. I'll try to explain some things you should know about it before you play it.

-Incense. This is an item that you get 7 of from a very early quest. It basically puts a buff on you that lasts 24hrs (even if you die) and increases your damage &/or Healing by 50% and increases a primary stat by a certain amount. You can buy more incense from the game store or at level 15/16 (not sure) you can do a daily quest to get more. Without this buff, enemies will take along time to kill, and will probably kill you before you can kill them. It's basically essential to the game.

-Patronage. The incense buff lets you use spell that you can use to basically restore all your health/mana when out of combat over 15 seconds. When you use this spell it increases a bar like your experience bar, that effects your patronage level. You want to keep your patronage level matching your characters current level. In the early game, you dont really need to rest after fights, so I just found myself spamming the spell just to keep it up to my current character level. You want to keep it to your current character level as it increases the primary stat it buffs you with.

-Curses. When you die (and i read later in the game mobs can effect you with it) items get cursed. Basically the item gets negative red stats. You need to buy a scroll from the item shop to remove this effect from the item. However, you get 10 holy charms from an early quest (and i think you can do a daily quest to get more) that get destroyed instead if you get cursed, instead of an item getting cursed. So you'll want to keep alot of these on you.

-Drops of Myrrh. Another reagent like item you will need to keep alot of in order to use spells/abilities at higher levels, or when you die to get out of purgatory faster. You start with 250. You can buy them from vendors in the game (probably will get expensive at higher levels) or you can buy them off the item shop.

-Level cap is 42.

-Steam-punk world setting. That means it's high fantasy mixed with modern/futuristic themes.

I wouldn't say that those above points were good/bad, since they are basically just mechanics of how the game works. They are things you should know if you want to play the game. As for the good/bad points in my opinion:

Good:

Excellent graphics

Great character creation & character animations

WoW-esque quests/menus etc. You'll be right at home if you played WoW.

Excellent music, but some areas are very quiet at times.

Lots of people playing it. Was in afew mini-raids already to kill named bosses in the starting zones. It's like being in WoW's endgame at level 5. Felt very epic & was alot of fun.

Bad:

Quests. Some quests just ask you to buy items from the item shop. I didn't like that at all. No quests i've done so far were innovative at all, just kill X amount of Y mobs/ Gather X etc...

Difficulty. Ok, even with the Incense buff, you will struggle to fight mobs that are even 1 level above you. Now I've play alot of mmo's in my time, maybe it was just bad rolls/bad luck, but today I was fighting a wolf mob 1 level higher than me on my cleric, and I still got killed by it. Best to fight equal level mobs.

Setting. The steam-punk setting may not be to your taste. It's meh for me.

Hope that helps you. I would say for everyone to atleast give it a shot. It's probably around 4-4.5gb download. Not too big by todays standard.

• QuasiRainQuasiRain Member Posts: 125

I heard that the incense kinda forces you to pay in an allegedly F2P game. That part of it kinda puts me off, as well as the grinding. I DID hear that the PvP is awesome though.

<TBA>

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

in short? NO!

try pandora saga if you are old school or dynaty warrior if you like more action

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • GryzemGryzem Member Posts: 10

Allods WAS great, pvp WAS very nice, but cash shop killed that game. Then they implemented Gipat patch which FORCED you  to buy incence (pay or die from every mob, they removed also incence dailies, they was brought back much later). Servers pre-Gipat was full, after Gipat servers was almost empty. Now I'm scared to come back :(.

I don't know how it's currently, I only know incence is optainable by dailies.

Too poor for P2P...
    F2P and B2P FTW!
    Freemium GO TO HELL!!!

• them4trixthem4trix Member UncommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by monstermmo

You might want to try something completely different. Most games including Allods are "WoW clones." I love Allods, the world is cool and i enjoyed the class and race choices but it is just another version of WoW so if youre bored of that style youll want something different.

Have you ever tried Vindictus? Worth a try for every gamer.

Allods is cool.

U nooblet, get a dictionary and look up clone... ok fine cuz ur lazy ill tell u, means an exact copy of sum.

Ive played both for long periods and they both have quite a few things in common,

but yet the feel of allods is totally different and def story wise and their approach at classes and endgame is completely different.

Allods is a really gd game, but it requirs lots of time and sumtimes u get stuck in a pure grind, hopin from 1 quest to another simply killin 10 of everything. but as u lvl up u start experiencin more and more new stuff, def end game is brilliant and unique with the astral ships and fun raids.

though i must warn  u this game is most fun whilist playin in a (small) group, sum classes r unique and all r completely different.

• misfit7783misfit7783 Member Posts: 35

Allods was good when i played only made it to level 25 but it was the only game that really kept my interest after i quit WoW. I dunno how good it is now but I've heard they got rid of the cash shop dependency. 

• Brian04Brian04 Member Posts: 4

Yes i've read some review its a good alternative game to WOW then i watch the gameplay video i got to say its pretty good and its a good clone of WOW

• MatheodamonMatheodamon Member Posts: 26

I personally don't like Allods.. well depends on your preference.. or might be because i tried different games already and allods is not that good for me as compare to other games.. I dont like the actions of the characters.. very stiff >.< 

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

if you don't plan on paying, you won't make it past holy lands.  on second thoughts, even if you payed and not taken advantage of fatigue, you won't get much further.

i don't recommend this game but that's because i don't pay for f2p games.