Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else think this will be a disaster?

JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

I'm a huge fan of MMOs, and I love to cheer them on. Nothing beats playing a new MMO that you love. With that said, this game just looks to be a disappointment despite the BioWare/LucasArts tags. The visuals have no style whatsoever. The combat looks dull, and will likely have huge issues with balance. The cover system looks like a horrible implementation.

WIth that said, I do hope it turns out good, but I see in SWTOR that makes me think it'll have a chance.

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

The only thing I agree with is that the cover system looks dumb, but I highly doubt it will be a disaster... maybe for people who want SWG 2 or something. Disaster sounds pretty sensationalist really.

They're using the tried and true MMO combat... graphics are highly subjective...your balance comment holds no water.

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss

I'm a huge fan of MMOs, and I love to cheer them on. Nothing beats playing a new MMO that you love. With that said, this game just looks to be a disappointment despite the BioWare/LucasArts tags. The visuals have no style whatsoever. The combat looks dull, and will likely have huge issues with balance. The cover system looks like a horrible implementation.

WIth that said, I do hope it turns out good, but I see in SWTOR that makes me think it'll have a chance.

No knowing.

I want to own property too

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

No.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Looks meh to me. The only thing that has impressed me at any level is the fact that there will be story. Other than that, nothing special in my eyes.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Nope i dont think it will be a disaster because Bioware is developing it.  Now i dont like that EA is publishing it as i think they will try to get Bioware to rush it out. EA sucks!

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

I honestly can't say until I get to play it for a while. I've seen games that looked like disasters in the making and I liked them. I've seen games that looked like winners and been left near tears in dissapointment. Personally, I want to see every MMO succeed for the good of the hobby.

There's so much hype around this game that it's hard to get a real feel for it right now. I haven't decided who it is targeted at.

There's been supposed insider leaks that say it is fail. There's been write ups that it's the next big thing since WoW and spilt milk for the kitten. *Sigh*

I know this. It's got some of my favorite things. Player space ships with functional interiors, laser swords, hand lightning, women with big OO,  cool space fantasy story... I will be watching it.

I wish I had a release date and system specs.

If they fail this game... Imma sayin bad things about them to god in my prayers. ;)

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

No i don´t think it will be a dissaster.

I have faith in Bioware.....even after the big dissapointment i got from Dragon Age 2.....

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I agreed with the graphics being bad in the past, but these days I disagree.

The graphics seem to be coming along fine and shaping up very well.

Some ingame screenshots:

I still find GW2's graphics better and I love the monster looks in TSW, but all in all SWTOR graphically is shaping up fine.

For the rest, hundreds of hours of specific content unique per class and on top of that, even more overall quest content than all the class quests combined, 17+ planets that together are larger than all other AAA MMORPG's, WoW included, makes me think they'll be doing quite alright.

How much alright and successful, that remains to be seen.

2011-2012 looks to be a time of an avalanche of interesting MMORPG's being released.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Dorko2kDorko2k Member Posts: 107

its better than good, its fk'ing great & its gonna take a sh** all over everything else out there. not a raving fanboy, i just played the beta back in november. was only allowed the 1st 15lvls but they were magical. not magical like "oh hey cool, a new mmo to play with my friends" i mean magical like "i dont ever want to play another mmo or ever leave my computer chair ever again". i can only hope end game pvp are good but unless they're absolutely awful i'll probably stick with it anyway because i do have faith in bw. if any1 can pull off a monster of a hit like this its them.

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

I think quite the opposite. The systems in place, the graphics, the lore, and with the developers behind it all point to win. I'm not saying it's going to be win, but I can't visualize it being a disaster with what I've been able to see. Then again, I'm going to be biased with anything Star Wars.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Some simple answers...

game sales=very high

maintained subs=above average

game content=average

game quality=average

Imo it will not offer the in depth type of game i am looking for.I see things like offline progression,i see a lazy development crew,something i do not appreciate.So far the biggst hype Bioware can offer us is voice overs and quests that can lead in a few directions.That is not enough to get me excited,not in the least.

I am not of the majority however,what i see most people doing in games,is not worth my time,so who knows Bioware could put out a totally generic product and possibly break Wow's records.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Wizardry

I am not of the majority however,what i see most people doing in games,is not worth my time,so who knows Bioware could put out a totally generic product and possibly break Wow's records.

Well, if you don't like what people generally are doing in WoW or other themepark MMORPG's, then you could be totally right: SWTOR could be very successful, MMO gamers having fun with ingame activities of which most aren't interesting or enjoyable to you, making this an MMORPG that isn't a fit for your MMO taste.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I agreed with the graphics being bad in the past, but these days I disagree.

The graphics seem to be coming along fine and shaping up very well.

Some ingame screenshots:

I still find GW2's graphics better and I love the monster looks in TSW, but all in all SWTOR graphically is shaping up fine.

For the rest, hundreds of hours of specific content unique per class and on top of that, even more overall quest content than all the class quests combined, 17+ planets that together are larger than all other AAA MMORPG's, WoW included, makes me think they'll be doing quite alright.

How much alright and successful, that remains to be seen.

2011-2012 looks to be a time of an avalanche of interesting MMORPG's being released.

Sweet all I need to say is ............... I agree ^

Your post summed up my sentiments nicely. 

BTW any clue when is it supposed to be launched?

Im so confused at the moment after so many rumors and delays...

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

It depends on what you are talking about. If you are talking about TOR as a MMO or RPG.

As a RPG, TOR can not fail. It will be a very good if not top of the line RPG. Fans of BW's SPG games will not be disapointed in the class story arcs and the SW universe.

As a MMO, TOR is obviously still an unknown. It will have all the MMO features of a Themepark with open worlds and exploration. With dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, open PvP, crafting, AH, guilds and so on. But how will the class story arc mesh with the open world and grouping parts of MMOs? Open world grouping, dungeons and raiding won't be a problem.

But there is 200 or so hours of personal story to play. A lot will be in instances with choices or phasing. A lot will also be in common questing areas where you are sent to the same areas regardless of your class. So you can group without a problem. It will be interesting to find out.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Any game can be a virtual disaster or success, and until a game comes out it's hard to tell which it will be.  However *points his pointer finger up in the air* most games rely on raids and classes and such which is the core balance to any game.  Most of them do just fine by themselves.

ToR plans to do this as well but *points his pointer finger in the air again* they plan to add a involving story that almost all MMOs lack.

I can't remember the last time i wanted to read or listen to a quest text (probably was back in the EQ era), now a days i almost have to force myself to read the text and when i do it's boring and i usually end up skipping it.  This game promises to stop that trend by making the quest interesting.  If your focusing on the quests then your not focusing on the grind, which i'm sure most can agree is a step in the right direction.  Seeing as your going to be doing questing anyway in a theme park game, why not make it interseting?

They also boosted about crafting being viable to raiders and vice versa, another common thing people want to see in game.  Often hear the cries of why is crafting such an after thought? Why is it never part of the community.  BW hopes to change that, or so they say, add in the addition that certian companions will be able to make things better then others, finding rare schematics and the idea that it's timed crafting which means you have to actually spend a certain amount of time to get good at something, add in the idea that if you work hard (yeah like we work in video games *smirk* ) at crafting that you can be one of a few who can make some really rare items you got a pretty interesting crafting system in and of itself,.

Along with everything else in game  they offer many ways of doing things beyond just questing and grinding.  They give large cities to explore.  Bonuses to those that do explore along with the ability to PvP which gives you experience and many other features such as indepth companions and the ability to affect other peoples quests with more then just let me help you kill these faster ala being able to chime in on their quests with how you think things should go.

Will these add up into an awesome game? I can't tell at the moment but if what they say is true in the game, then that sounds a lot better then a normal MMO and if they can pull it off then it will be pretty far away from a disaster to me as it can be.  Just my opinoin of course.

As for the cover system? it's a feature i actually like,  theres always room for innovation and thinking in game,  kinda confused why people hate it.  Probably has something to do with the icons telling you where to hide.  Maybe people want a more mass effect style.  Myself i think it's a welcomed feature.

As for the graphics, I'll have to agree to disagree i think they look just fine and i'm perfectly happy with it.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

Originally posted by artemisentr4
    As a MMO, TOR is obviously still an unknown.

I don't see it as unknown. Seems like everyone know's about this release.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Zzad

This is the official statement and the only one i go by until BW or EA say otherwise.

Everyone at BioWare and EA is working to ensure that Star Wars: The Old Republic is delivered at the quality level you expect from BioWare and Star Wars.

?Star Wars: The Old Republic is expected to launch this year after the close of EA's fiscal 2011 (which ends March 31st, 2011). Information on the release date and pre-order programs will be released as it becomes available.

They also stated in one of their conference calls that ToR will come out in calander year 2011

So thats april 1st (haha yeah i know) to december 31st.  Thats all we got at the moment for a release window.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I dont think it will be a disaster.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by DarthMooska

Originally posted by artemisentr4

As a MMO, TOR is obviously still an unknown.

I don't see it as unknown. Seems like everyone know's about this release.

I was talking about BW making a MMO for the first time vs all their SPGs. That it is still an unknown as to how all the features will work together to become a MMO. Not just a regular MMO, but a MMO with 500k+ subs. We all know that SW:TOR is a MMO with lots of hype out there.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

Originally posted by whilan

Originally posted by Zzad

This is the official statement and the only one i go by until BW or EA say otherwise.

Everyone at BioWare and EA is working to ensure that Star Wars: The Old Republic is delivered at the quality level you expect from BioWare and Star Wars.

?Star Wars: The Old Republic is expected to launch this year after the close of EA's fiscal 2011 (which ends March 31st, 2011). Information on the release date and pre-order programs will be released as it becomes available.

They also stated in one of their conference calls that ToR will come out in calander year 2011

So thats april 1st (haha yeah i know) to december 31st.  Thats all we got at the moment for a release window.

Thanks a lot Whilan ;)

• CaedLucinCaedLucin Member UncommonPosts: 8

blah blah blah...

The combat looks dull, and will likely have huge issues with balance. The cover system looks like a horrible implementation.

...blah blah blah yaddity yaddity yak.

Okay lemme ask you this question. On what basis do you have to proof that the game will have a HUGE issue with balance? Have you played it yet? If yes, then which aspect?

Of course, ALL games will have balancing issues, but I just don't understand why people like to make stupid assumptions even before they tried something.

With Regards,
    Caed Lucin

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I actually think the cover system will be quite good.  Watching it in action really gets me excited and is just one of the many reasons my first character will be a smuggler.  

The class system sounds like a lot of fun,  you can spec different combinations per class.  For example,  some classes can have 3 or 4 specs,  sometimes even multiclassing specs like a stealth damage dealer/healer,  mixing a rogue and a healer actually sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Combat wise, they took some creative liberties with the tried and true traditional MMO system we've seen - removing the auto attack and giving each clas a number of different play styles.   On top of that you can further differentiate your character through companions if you so choose which could enhance your character in combat but even more-so in the world.

The crafting system is one of my favorite parts about the game... not only do you have a number of different items and specializations to craft in,  the inclusion of specialty recipes only a handful of players may know on your server, and your companion characters to assist in gathering and crafting,   but you have non-crafting abilities that you can skill up with some pretty great rewards.

Player housing on ships,  customization of that housing,  huge open worlds that not only cater to stories, groups, with worldchanging arcs,  but they also cater to exploration which you rarely see in MMOs.

On top of that we have a top notch developer who knows the industry and their demographic.  I really don't consider it to be a disaster at all,  I think the game will be rather good.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

i hated the graphics when i first saw them a couple years ago.

but i have to admit they have improved inmesily. they now compare to any mmo out there with the best graphics.

my concern is and will remain the depth (or lack thereof) of this game; and its endgame. 

as well as fixing those clumsy character moves. 

• kalanthiskalanthis Member Posts: 111

No.

That said, I'm not convinced by the cover system.