Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would anyone buy another game from FUNCOM?

191011121315»

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Garvon3

Uhh, I don't think you could call a game as heavily lienar limited and instanced as AoC an MMO. 30 people per zone? Uh no. One of the best? How? It literally has no hooks/things to set it aside from other MMOs. In fact it's even simpler than most.

30 people per zone? Maybe you should talk to sombody that actually plays the game before stating facts. Thanks for participating though.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

Uhh, I don't think you could call a game as heavily lienar limited and instanced as AoC an MMO. 30 people per zone? Uh no. One of the best? How? It literally has no hooks/things to set it aside from other MMOs. In fact it's even simpler than most.

Well, i can agree that the story if you followed it is stuttering and not very cinematic. But playing the game just for what it is had alot of fun and exciting moments for me personaly . I am not the item-collector-instance-grinder type of player , i am casual and how did someone put it , i m not looking to marry my mmo.

Then i played a LOT diffrent ones like AION, lotro, wow (real short), eve and still keep coming back to AoC for a month. Its fast paced, interesting combat. Thers bad ideas happening like bori and the likes but still it has atmosphere.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by eyelolled

30 people per zone? Maybe you should talk to sombody that actually plays the game before stating facts. Thanks for participating though.

I've played the game myself. Each zone has a hard cap on it, and when that cap is reached seperate shards are formed splitting the population. Dungeons are instanced. Zones are linear. Quests are mind numbingly simple. The game is STILL missing most promised launch features. There's little redeeming value to the whole thing.

Originally posted by Jesterftk

Well, i can agree that the story if you followed it is stuttering and not very cinematic. But playing the game just for what it is had alot of fun and exciting moments for me personaly . I am not the item-collector-instance-grinder type of player , i am casual and how did someone put it , i m not looking to marry my mmo.

Then i played a LOT diffrent ones like AION, lotro, wow (real short), eve and still keep coming back to AoC for a month. Its fast paced, interesting combat. Thers bad ideas happening like bori and the likes but still it has atmosphere.

Aion LotRO and WoW are nearly identical. You've played one, you've played them all. Eve is the only really unique one. And hell, LotRO/WoW are hardly MMOs with the amount of instances in the games. AoC has its own flavor to it, and graphics, thats just about the only reason I can think for someone staying, considering. I don't like WoW and its clones, so thats why I don't like AoC. It was supposed to be so much more.

• I've been playing Aoc off and on since release....still happy with it

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Funcom is one of the only MMO companies that actually brings innovation to the table, look at Anarchy Online, the only game of it's kind that has ever had a skill point system that actually really works in a level based game.  Look at the massive size of the game world and that's from years ago.  They brought character development to an all time new high, and with AOC they tried to go for the themepark MMO with some tweaks to avoid being a "wow-clone" as so many poeple like to say.

They did a great job on both games, yes they both had rough launches, but once the directors were replaced with confident and dependant ones, things really got under way. Silirion for AO and now AoC, and now Means for AO. AO development is increasing even more these days with a complete balance re-cap being done in the next months, and of course the legendary new engine that has yet to be seen in action other than demo vids and screens.

It's your opinions to either like them, or not like them, but don't view other people who do like them as any less of a person than yourself. We all have different tastes, some want a basic themepark MMO that holds their hand everywhere they go, others like innovation and new challenges. Funcom brings challenge and innovation, and the majority of human beings hate change, so go figure.

PS. This thread keeps getting necro'd every 2 months.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

Originally posted by NeokiNaomi

Funcom is one of the only MMO companies that actually brings innovation to the table, look at Anarchy Online, the only game of it's kind that has ever had a skill point system that actually really works in a level based game.  Look at the massive size of the game world and that's from years ago.  Most MMOs at the time had a much bigger game world than modern MMOs. And even if they did't that's not really an innovation. They brought character development to an all time new high, and with AOC they tried to go for the themepark MMO with some tweaks to avoid being a "wow-clone" as so many poeple like to say And they entirely failed. Not only that, but they didn't advertise their game as a theme park. The final product doesn't remotely resemble what they promised, partly from false advertising, partly from changes they made in beta to dumb the game down, because the WoW raiders that made up the majority of beta players thought the game was too hard and complex.

They did a great job on both games, yes they both had rough launches Both are considered to be some of the worst launches in the history of the genre, and no, AoC is by no means a "great game". , but once the directors were replaced with confident and dependant ones, things really got under way. So, once the people that mdae the game got fired and the company suffered huge loss of profits and layoffs... THEN things were great! Yeah that's a healthy trustworthy company. AoC isn't doing well, it's getting by at best. Silirion for AO and now AoC, and now Means for AO. AO development is increasing even more these days with a complete balance re-cap being done in the next months, and of course the legendary new engine that has yet to be seen in action other than demo vids and screens.

It's your opinions to either like them, or not like them, but don't view other people who do like them as any less of a person than yourself. We all have different tastes, some want a basic themepark MMO that holds their hand everywhere they go which is what AoC does, others like innovation and new challenges which is what AoC does not do at all. Funcom brings challenge and innovation Really? I bet you couldn't name one new idea AoC brought to the table, and the majority of human beings hate change, so go figure.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Funcom is one of the only MMO companies that actually brings innovation to the table, look at Anarchy Online, the only game of it's kind that has ever had a skill point system that actually really works in a level based game.  Look at the massive size of the game world and that's from years ago.  They brought character development to an all time new high, and with AOC they tried to go for the themepark MMO with some tweaks to avoid being a "wow-clone" as so many poeple like to say.

They did a great job on both games, yes they both had rough launches, but once the directors were replaced with confident and dependant ones, things really got under way. Silirion for AO and now AoC, and now Means for AO. AO development is increasing even more these days with a complete balance re-cap being done in the next months, and of course the legendary new engine that has yet to be seen in action other than demo vids and screens.

It's your opinions to either like them, or not like them, but don't view other people who do like them as any less of a person than yourself. We all have different tastes, some want a basic themepark MMO that holds their hand everywhere they go, others like innovation and new challenges. Funcom brings challenge and innovation, and the majority of human beings hate change, so go figure.

Means clearly stated his opinion about AO,he showed that he have different taste ,he wants basic themepark mmo,his challenge is "how to bring AO to casual players ,like world of warcraft does"

he just have different taste,nothing wrong with that.nothing wrong with AO players either who had different kind of taste.

Generation P

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Funcom is one of the only MMO companies that actually brings innovation to the table, look at Anarchy Online, the only game of it's kind that has ever had a skill point system that actually really works in a level based game.  Look at the massive size of the game world and that's from years ago.  Most MMOs at the time had a much bigger game world than modern MMOs. And even if they did't that's not really an innovation. They brought character development to an all time new high, and with AOC they tried to go for the themepark MMO with some tweaks to avoid being a "wow-clone" as so many poeple like to say And they entirely failed. Not only that, but they didn't advertise their game as a theme park. The final product doesn't remotely resemble what they promised, partly from false advertising, partly from changes they made in beta to dumb the game down, because the WoW raiders that made up the majority of beta players thought the game was too hard and complex.

They did a great job on both games, yes they both had rough launches Both are considered to be some of the worst launches in the history of the genre, and no, AoC is by no means a "great game". , but once the directors were replaced with confident and dependant ones, things really got under way. So, once the people that mdae the game got fired and the company suffered huge loss of profits and layoffs... THEN things were great! Yeah that's a healthy trustworthy company. AoC isn't doing well, it's getting by at best. Silirion for AO and now AoC, and now Means for AO. AO development is increasing even more these days with a complete balance re-cap being done in the next months, and of course the legendary new engine that has yet to be seen in action other than demo vids and screens.

It's your opinions to either like them, or not like them, but don't view other people who do like them as any less of a person than yourself. We all have different tastes, some want a basic themepark MMO that holds their hand everywhere they go which is what AoC does, others like innovation and new challenges which is what AoC does not do at all. Funcom brings challenge and innovation Really? I bet you couldn't name one new idea AoC brought to the table, and the majority of human beings hate change, so go figure.

You sir seem fixated on AoC as if it hit a sensitive nerve, why so much negativity? Have you even played the game lately? I don't play it but I did try it again during the free come back and played my 50 guardian, I don't enjoy preset skill based games like that anymore after being burnt out on them from L2.  And yes they were bad launches, worst? That's your opinion.  WoW / AC2 / EQ1 all had HORRID launches, I actually think of AC2 as the worst, but then that's my opinion. 

AoC brought the directional attack combat mechanic, improved phasing, beautiful rendered large environments and some others that aren't directly coming to mind. Mind none of these were not my cup of tea, but I give credit where it's due, FC's biggest innovation was Anarchy Online, which from your extreme approach I can't make up my mind whether you've even experienced it's true content, if you did you wouldn't be so harsh about FC. Flame me if you want, you just seem to be fixated on trash talking FC simply because AoC started out bad.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

If they can reach something near of polish Rift has now at launch with TSW and don't get any marketing hype idiot to promise features that isn't there it will do fine.

Funcom has made great games once they got right people in. I hope they redeem the way they are now keeping up the games in TSW, otherwise it might be last change for them...

Horrid launch of AO, long past and should be compared what MMOs were then. AoC on other hand was pure crap, hope they learned from it and got rid of those persons who over-hyped the game...

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

I used to love Funcom, my first and still my favorite MMO is AO but lets face facts, they are a very Greedy company.

Most importantly they manage to ruin every single game they make, i mean look at AO, it is the living proof of unprofessionalism.

I am not a hater i really feel sad by saying this but i do not have any hopes up for this game only because of the company behind it.

• SharookSharook Member Posts: 72

Well, FC pissed me off big time (they replaced SOE as #1 on my list of scorn) by screwing up the mmo about an IP that I love a lot: AoC. The came out with a half-assed game and a huge hype, but actually had no real innovations in it, everything felt old and copied. The graphics were good and the soundtrack excellent (it's still on my mp3-player). The oh-so hyped combo system was a pure travesty and yielded no real game-mechanical benefit or complexity or whatever. Then they came out with the announcement of an addon while the original game was still of beta quality. And finally they anounced their new mmorpg, which convinced me, that they were using the Conan IP just as a cash-cow to push the technology for the game they actually wanted to do. No serious company fiddles with a new MMO, while they still have a half-baked thing on their table. So they actually raped the Conan IP and that - since that was an outrageous act of blasphemy  ;-) -  wont give them even another cent of my money anytime soon - unless

a) their next title shows utter superiour improvements in quality and attractivity (game mechanics, etc) against all other titles

b) all other mmo-companies have shut down

c) hell freezes

In my opinion, c is the most propable and a the least. But of course there will be masses of peasants that will ride the next wave of hype followed by a wave of howling, but then i will not be bothered. Since AoC I don't play MMOs anymore that haven't been at least 6 months released, and it helps a lot to keep expectations - and excitement - realistic.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

After playing the badly ported game Battlechess 1 & 2 who would ever buy a game from Blizzard again?

This is a really stupid argument, sometimes companies get better, or sometimes companies that made great games made something that is crap.

SE made the brilliant Final fantasy VII but they also made the crappy FF XIII.

Look on each game in it's own right even though a wise person would try out a MMO from anybody who dissapointed them in the past. But a truly wise person wiould never pre order a MMO and try any before buying it.

• Perdition_ukPerdition_uk Member Posts: 181

It's more than "one strike and your out" for me, but it is a league table. Somewhere down the bottom are Cryptic, and they'd have to get some glowing reviews for many months post release before I tried one of their games again... certainly wouldn't pre-order anything from them.

Funcom? Well, I played AoC at launch but my machine couldn't really handle it (even though the game specs said I should be fine)... so I never really did it justice, and when it got round to upgrade time other things had come out that were much better than AoC so I never went back. I might try another Funcom game if SW:TOR still isn't out, but at the moment I'm much more likely to play something single player. The MMO market is just churning out the same old stuff at the moment, and it's drab.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Loke666

Look on each game in it's own right even though a wise person would try out a MMO from anybody who dissapointed them in the past. But a truly wise person wiould never pre order a MMO and try any before buying it.

I preorder MMOs SO I can try them out.

Then I cancel the preorder if the game doesn't live up to my expectations.  Yay open beta.

I figure if a game sucks in open beta, it's not going to magically change by release. ;)  None of them ever have in my experience, anyway.

My experiences with Funcom tells me that they're good with ideas, bad with early implementation.  That may turn out differently with TSW, but the game is extremely high on my list of 'Must beta first, and will look at any bugs very unfavorably.' MMOs.

Originally posted by Meowhead

I preorder MMOs SO I can try them out.

Then I cancel the preorder if the game doesn't live up to my expectations.  Yay open beta.

I figure if a game sucks in open beta, it's not going to magically change by release. ;)  None of them ever have in my experience, anyway.

My experiences with Funcom tells me that they're good with ideas, bad with early implementation.  That may turn out differently with TSW, but the game is extremely high on my list of 'Must beta first, and will look at any bugs very unfavorably.' MMOs.

Why? Open beta is open beta, anyone can acess that. Do you mean closed beta?

The closed beta however should not be a way to try out the game, it is to fix up the game before it releases.

I never pre order any MMOs (but I will make an exception with GW2, just spent too many years in GW1) and I usually gets to try them anyways before they releases.

If not I just wait until the free trial, I really don't think release day is that special anyways, overcrowded and probably still buggy.

Cancelling preorders just seems like unneccesarily work to me. When I order something I already know I want it no matter what it is. But you are of course free to do as you like, even though in some cases I know some people here never got out of their pre orders.

Why? Open beta is open beta, anyone can acess that. Do you mean closed beta?

The closed beta however should not be a way to try out the game, it is to fix up the game before it releases.

I never pre order any MMOs (but I will make an exception with GW2, just spent too many years in GW1) and I usually gets to try them anyways before they releases.

If not I just wait until the free trial, I really don't think release day is that special anyways, overcrowded and probably still buggy.

Cancelling preorders just seems like unneccesarily work to me. When I order something I already know I want it no matter what it is. But you are of course free to do as you like, even though in some cases I know some people here never got out of their pre orders.

Hmmm.  Yeah, I guess I mean closed beta, sorry, trying to play FFXI and mess with my key bindings.

Still, closed beta can give me a pretty good idea of what's going to be going on in the real game.  If it changes, fine, I can still buy the game later, but it usually gives me enough information to cancel out of my preorder.

I used to be the master of the rolling preorder.  I'd have about 50 dollars worth of preorders (5 bucks at a time) at any given time, and I'd cancel and move the preorder to other games.

If I hadn't put the local Gamestop manager's children through college with my gaming habits, they probably would never have put up with my bullshit, but once you buy a certain amount of games they're apparently willing to forgive any gaming related sins up to and including stabbing somebody I disagree with in the kidney while we talk in line at the register.

I have absolutely no compunction about cancelling a preorder if a game is not what I expected... but I like all the bonuses they used to have with preorders, so I liked being able to know I could pick it up when the game comes out, if it did.  Heck, the local Gamestop used to just GIVE me all the preorder bonus crap... once they gave me and all my friends all their extra T-shirts for preorders.  Free shirts for all!

Now I don't game nearly as much, but I've still never been given any trouble about cancelling preorders by the new Gamestop I live by.  Maybe I seem really authoritative or something?  (Or maybe they feel guilty for hassling me about showing my ID when I'm 34 and have a kid. :( )

Still, closed beta can give me a pretty good idea of what's going to be going on in the real game.  If it changes, fine, I can still buy the game later, but it usually gives me enough information to cancel out of my preorder.

Well, yeah but so does open betas... You are a rather impatient fellow. :D

Well, yeah but so does open betas... You are a rather impatient fellow. :D

Absolutely!  I want to know well ahead of time if I should be excited about a game, or meh.  Though mostly I guess I'm talking about the pre-ordering closed beta me from 3-4 years ago, pre baby/wife.

Now I'm more 'Tell me if it was any good' about my MMOs, and then I try to get my friends to convince me to buy an MMO.  Since I haven't lately, either they're bad at convincing, or MMOs nowadays just don't meet my particular wants.

• milwalmilwal Member UncommonPosts: 65

FUNCOM = MAJOR FAIL

Never again for me, I have already wasted a lot of time and hard earned cash with this so called company but quoting the great Pete Townsend from the Who "I Wont Get Fooled Again"!!!

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Do not necro post in old threads. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.