Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New The Secret World trailer from the GDC! (and beta in 2 months)

2»

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I really hope this game turns out well.  The design they are aiming for alone sounds different enough to be interesting.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by Bhorzo

I wish they hadn't abandoned their previous open-world PVP plans. Hopefully it'll make a comeback in some form in the future.

Im almost positive they will have an open world FFA pvp server at some point.

Also, im pretty sure they are taking a new route with lessons learned from AoC.  I dont see the massive hype push for this game that i saw with AoC.  I expect a lot of followers to this game to not jump in at launch as well, and at least wait and see how finished the game is.

I havent really read into this game a whole lot, and im wondering about their faction system a bit.  Will it be loose based restrictions on paths taken based on faction?  Like diffrent powers,skills and weapons used based on this?  Will it be just for looks?  Or is it a way to simply add diffrent area and content and storylines?  I noticed in the video they didnt mention the factions being at war and enemies, which i prefer.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Finally some info on this game!!!

So far I am really liking what i am seeing.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

The setting and factions are interesting, but combat looked lame, armor design was lame (in my opinion), weapons were lame - I guess this is very early game footage, it's not even in beta yet, but I'm not really impressed or any more interested than I was when I knew next to nothing about the game.

Even with beta, I hope it doesn't release before this time next year, unless Funcom have suddenly become polish masters since AoC.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Xasapis

• 3 factions

• Skill based progression system

• Non fantasy setting

Sounds very interesting.

indeed, cant wait to hear more of it

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Yep, no levels, no classes in TSW.

Watched the trailer a second time, those monsters are really large and different from the standard MMO ones, I saw some great looking 'horror movie'-type mobs image

Also just found a great newsbit on the official forums:

From the guy who leaked the GDC trailer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morten Larsen

The Secret World is currently in an alpha testing stage with the first external beta test coming two months hence #TSW

7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Beta in two months! May... nice, our four year anniversary!

Damn, that's some great news image

as long as the game releses well finished, every new piece of news is great lol

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

I may end up regretting it at some point, but I am really excited for this game.

1. Ragnar Tornquist. I'm a shamelessly huge Longest Journey and Dreamfall fanboy, and love all his work related to AO. Whatever his role is in other areas of the game, I don't know... but if his writing and imagination are brought to bear in the game I'm expecting amazing things from it. I know the original idea came to him back in like.. the late 90s... so he's been weaving it for some time now.

2. The game, though going into beta relatively soon and only announced "recently", has been in the works for some time. It seems they're taking the opposite approach that they did with AoC by keeping it quiet and laying low. It also helps feed the air of "mystery" around the game, which is something the game will also deal a lot with.

3. Not pure fantasy (as in Elves, orcs, etc), but "realit-based fantasy". I was one of the (apparently relatively few) people who loved Matrix Online simply because of how it provided this crazy alternate reality to play around in.

4. I'm a big fan of mythical creatures, urban legends, conspiracy theories. I don't believe in them, mind you... I just find it fascinating to think "what if these things were real?". TSW seems to give me a window into such a possibility.. which is damn cool to me.

5. Open-ended, no classes, skill-based, be whatever you want to be within the context of the game. Awesome.

That said... I do hope they prove that the third time is a charm, that they have really learned from their mistakes this time, and that they release the game in a more "ready" condition.

Also... does that final creature in the trailer remind anyone else of a larger, winged version of the Cthugha from The Relic?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops