Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new SWG (preCU) mmorpg??

ShonithelShonithel Member UncommonPosts: 45

If this game can live up to the title I'm on it!

Comments

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

From everything I've read so far, AA will certianly bring a lot of the depth that PreCU had.  In some areas - such as the PreCU skill point system, AA isn't going to be as deep.  However, I don't see that as a bad thing.  The PreCU skill point system was awesome in its depth, but that amount of diversity also made for a 'class' balancing nightmare.  At this point I don't have any information regarding item deterioration/decay (which I hope is in the game), or crafting specifics.  Although its exciting to compare the similarities between both game's systems & mechanics, I'm still hesitant to make any premature parallels between AA and other games - mainly because I want to wait for more info to be released and try to avoid speculating or locking myself into expectations based on those parallels.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

While I refuse to get hyped about any game, especially in wanting it to be a spiritual successor to SWG, I can't help feeling it could be. I also see much more to Archeage too.

I'm just going to sit patiently back and watch Archeage from a distance while I play on the EQ progression server. I followed Vanguard and it fell to the masses, then I followed Rift and it simply fell.

As much as Archeage is shouting at me that it will be amazing, I won't be glued to it.

But, yes. It could bring back that SWG feel. Boy would I like that.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • RomtimRomtim Member Posts: 175

If you have any questions, im sure that Aaportal.net has the answers!

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

It looks more like UO really since PvP will be the focus unlike SWG, but sure it will have some of SWG elements too (I hope)

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Calling it swg pre cu is one thing,  being star wars is antoher and well I don't see anything star wars about this game.

So folks need to quit comparing it to swg, because its not pure and simple had my hopes up until I went to take a look.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

I really really hope this game isn't a new SWG... I would very much prefer that this game didn't completely suck.  I would much rather this game be modelled after something that is both fun and succesful!

• ShonithelShonithel Member UncommonPosts: 45

Originally posted by erictlewis

Calling it swg pre cu is one thing,  being star wars is antoher and well I don't see anything star wars about this game.

So folks need to quit comparing it to swg, because its not pure and simple had my hopes up until I went to take a look.

Of course it is not SWG, but the sandbox, the possibility to make your player city almost anywhere in the world, it sure rings some bells...

• ShonithelShonithel Member UncommonPosts: 45

Originally posted by mmogawd

I really really hope this game isn't a new SWG... I would very much prefer that this game didn't completely suck.  I would much rather this game be modelled after something that is both fun and succesful!

You never played SWG preCU didn't you?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Xoni5

Originally posted by erictlewis

Of course it is not SWG, but the sandbox, the possibility to make your player city almost anywhere in the world, it sure rings some bells...

My point being its another fantasy game.  Yea i like some of the ideas player run cities and what not.   But honestly I'm not looking for another fantasy game no matter how many good things I see in it.  I have one I play now don't need another.  I'm looking for star wars.  So Yes I felt the title to be misleading at best trying to drive some of the swg folks to it.

While some of the folk I know played swg for the game mechanics a lot of folks played it for the immersion.  Oh well I can tell I am beating a dead horse on this one.

• varnlestoffvarnlestoff Member Posts: 26

I highly doubt it will replicate the feeling, atmosphere, and social aspects of SWG.

That's not to say that it won't be good and social oriented.

To pay for play, or pay not for play, that is the question.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Yup, I played it.   And it sucked.   The fixes helped, but the game was still not great.  Not even close.

• JamesErnstJamesErnst Member UncommonPosts: 53

Yup, I played it.   And it sucked.   The fixes helped, but the game was still not great.  Not even close.

I have to agree, I played SWG with some co-workers and I was bored very quickly.  Within a few weeks I made a fat dancer, bought skimpy clothes and had some fun playing with hairstyles and dancing in the city bars and then gave up.

--Gaymer Extraordinaire--

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

is XL Games the same that made Cities XL?

If so, avoid this game like the plague. It'll all end up in tears. 

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

Originally posted by Troneas

is XL Games the same that made Cities XL?

If so, avoid this game like the plague. It'll all end up in tears. 

Cities XL (Formerly Cities Unlimited) was Developed and Published by Monte Cristo.

From Wikipedia:  Monte Cristo was a French computer game developer and publisher, based in Paris. It was established in 1995 by former Credit Suisse First Boston vice-presidentJean-Marc de Fety and former Mars & Co strategy senior consultant Jean-Cristophe Marquis. The company was led by Jean-Christophe Marquis and <a class="new" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jérome_Gastaldi&amp;action=edit&amp;redlink=1" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(186, 0, 0); background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; " title="J

• Mr.AwwsomeMr.Awwsome Member Posts: 48

Meh, nothing will live up to the memories of SWG-precu, but the two emulators, SWGemu and SWGANH might come closer than this =D

Talking bout the issues..and keepin it funky.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Ok seriously?  All this comparing has really got to stop.  I'm so sick an tired of people comparing Rift to WoW, Mortal Online to Darkfall, yadda yadda yadda.  Seriously though?  ArcheAge to SWG PreCU?  How the hell do you get that comparison at all?  SWG is dead.  No one plays it anymore.  Not to get too excited about a game I still know very little about, but ArcheAge has got way more stuff in it than SWG and it's done right.  I've seen lots of gameplay so far and the mechanics are nothing like SWG.  SWG couldn't even come close to what ArcheAge has got.

• gamespamgamespam Member Posts: 456

Those games for people like you come out 5-7 times every year. You have enough already, pick one.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

Let's hope it does right were SWG went wrong :)

But i agree with previous comments ... it was immersion that made swg so great, it's to be seen if such a different setting can accomplish the same.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

so last season to talk about swg pre cu blaablaa cheez..

ok this game can be something good so im open minded for this.

gg for bringing this up , better late than never.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by gamespam

Those games for people like you come out 5-7 times every year. You have enough already, pick one.

Seriously, QFT.

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

SWG Pre-CU was absolutely awesome, simply because players were allowed to progress any way they wanted to. The game didn't force you into one direction and hold your hand all the way. There was so much more depth in terms of crafting, roleplaying, trading and player immersion it actually felt your character was living in the world. However, if you favour the standard MMO model (which I am not saying is a bad thing). SWG Pre-CU definately wasn't for you.

The quests were mundaine to say the least and their were plenty of bugs and balance issues that would infuriate the Theme Park fan like crazy. So even though I loved it I appreciate it wasn't everyones cup of tea.

Whether I want AA to have the same flavour as SWG Pre CU? Well from my point of view....absolutley 100% yes. Like it or not SWG got crafting, housing and the whole player economy aspects down to a tee and if AA can take these elements and reshape them into a Fantasy world then that would be just awesome. Even though there will be levels by the sound of it, instead of skills.

However, I am trying to avoid getting my hopes up too much. While I have been looking for an MMORPG to replace the fun I got from SWG Pre CU for years now, I have a gut feeling that it simply wont tick all the boxes in the end. We will just have to see.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

sorry but how eaxactly will it be like SWG? 

My blog: image