Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Bioware speeding up the info release?

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I've noticed something occuring in the last few weeks.  Follow me if you will down this trail.

Okay first off Bioware for the last 3 years of info release has always released info on fridays, aptly named friday updates.

Now each friday update was of varying quality and quanity.  Some better then others, and some just rubbish regarding info on the game ala the testing one we got 2 weeks ago.

Now over those years we've gotten some good updates but it was always singular, we'd get something on a class but nothing on that said class' ship.

This continued for a good long while until last week when we got a bounty hunter update, along with their ship, and a book release all on the same day. (pretty big update in my opinion)

Now after 3 years of consistant friday updates.  We get an update on wensday for guilds, breaking that 3 year tradition.  Now if we also get a friday update as usual that will be two updates during the week, which leads me back to the title, Is Bioware speeding up the info release? If so why?

It could be possible they did it on wensday because of PaX, but i'm not sure the entire team will be at PaX, I guess friday will be the tell.  If we get an update them, that will be interesting.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• VegasGamblerVegasGambler Member Posts: 34

They mentioned somewhere that a regular Friday update will happen along with everything else at PAX so I would expect something more.  We can only hope that is just a taste of things to come!

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Im sorta hoping the guild thing means the game is getting close to a release date or at least open beta. I so wanna play this game. Its the one game that can probably take me away from wow.

Im a huge star wars fan as is my gf and cant wait to try this game out so im hoping we learn alot at pax east including a open beta date if not an outright release date. there dev blogs say its in a huge balance part of testing now. That usually happens towards the end of developement once features work properly

So im hoping one thing we get for an update is more on crafting and some sorta release date if just an open beta one.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Well from some of the things out there on the internets lately. The games seems to be getting closer and closer to a launch build. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a launch date at PAX.

You are right that things are moving faster for TOR. After PAX it will only be a couple weeks to March 31, the start of the launch window. I don't want the game to come out untill it is complete and pollished, but it seems that a May/June is possible. So more and more info makes sense.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I don't think it means they are releasign more information more quickly... before each show they always have some sort of pre-reveal of something small,  then they bring something else out at the show.   We'll see what happens at PAX though...  we're getting closer to the launch whindow.. if they don't start spilling the beans soon it may actual be more of a signal they could be pushing the launch back some to a different target window.

I can't wait until all the cards are dealth though so we can start getting some more solid answers at these Q n As

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

The way I see it, you are probably right Whilan.  At this point it seems to me they only need to detail two more classes (Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor) and list the rest of the PvP types they will be utilizing in the game before release.  So now we are down to only the Pre-Launch Information Dump that always happens in the last few weeks before a game goes live.

The release of the Guild information was actually a big surprise for me and it tells me that the game is not far off from release.  Especially since they are actually letting people set up the Guilds and will be assigning them to servers.  This type of feature doesn't even need to be talked about before a release, but to do so would be a bad idea if the game was still a ways off.

I admit, my conclussions could be wrong, but I like the way things are looking right now.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

It could all go very quickly I guess. But it's maybe a little far fetched to derive any solid conclusions from BW coming out with a new functionality to their website on a wednesday.

Pretty much every solid game marketing campaign builds up the hype towards launch with a big release date anouncement and / or open beta anouncement and bombard our senses with input from that time until launch; the crescendo of the campaign with all the meaty bits of information, trailers and commercials, including some kind of OB, and this countdown phase takes some months for the best effect. We aren't at that stage yet but we could be close to the final systems check :)

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by whilan

I've noticed something occuring in the last few weeks.  Follow me if you will down this trail.

Okay first off Bioware for the last 3 years of info release has always released info on fridays, aptly named friday updates.

Now each friday update was of varying quality and quanity.  Some better then others, and some just rubbish regarding info on the game ala the testing one we got 2 weeks ago.

Now over those years we've gotten some good updates but it was always singular, we'd get something on a class but nothing on that said class' ship.

This continued for a good long while until last week when we got a bounty hunter update, along with their ship, and a book release all on the same day. (pretty big update in my opinion)

Now after 3 years of consistant friday updates.  We get an update on wensday for guilds, breaking that 3 year tradition.  Now if we also get a friday update as usual that will be two updates during the week, which leads me back to the title, Is Bioware speeding up the info release? If so why?

It could be possible they did it on wensday because of PaX, but i'm not sure the entire team will be at PaX, I guess friday will be the tell.  If we get an update them, that will be interesting.

lol that wasn't really a trail

I want to own property too

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

Maybe we will get an official release date this weekend?

• slprslpr Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by Raora

Don't count on it, they said they are not going to have any kind of major announcements. They are basically letting people play the game and will record alot of gameplay footage for the fans, who can't go to PAX.

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by slpr

Originally posted by Raora

Don't count on it, they said they are not going to have any kind of major announcements. They are basically letting people play the game and will record alot of gameplay footage for the fans, who can't go to PAX.

geez man, let me wish atleast :)

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

sometimes they throw a bone to other sites with new content and then they release it on their site again on a Friday.

Myself i go with Gnost Dural's timeline. I suspect the game will release close to when he completes it.  

• TheIllusiveTheIllusive Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by Troneas

sometimes they throw a bone to other sites with new content and then they release it on their site again on a Friday.

Myself i go with Gnost Dural's timeline. I suspect the game will release close to when he completes it.  

if that is the case, than we are in for a looOOooong run ...  I really really hope that isn't true since it would mean the game will release in the timeframe 2011 December - 2012 March..

If that happens than the so called; 2011 the year of the great MMO's; becomes; 2011 the year, MMO players got dissapointed. Again.

• varnlestoffvarnlestoff Member Posts: 26

Information (may) become more common post PAX.

To pay for play, or pay not for play, that is the question.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by TheIllusive

Originally posted by Troneas

if that is the case, than we are in for a looOOooong run ...  I really really hope that isn't true since it would mean the game will release in the timeframe 2011 December - 2012 March..

If that happens than the so called; 2011 the year of the great MMO's; becomes; 2011 the year, MMO players got dissapointed. Again.

I'll have to find the text, but i do recall a dev stating that the timelines would continue after release, stating simply. The timeline releases might not be done before the game releases.

I think this is close enough it's from Sean Dahlberg:

Let me elaborate... currently they are being released once every two months. That doesn't mean they will always be released on that cadence nor does it mean that the series will be finished by the time the game launches.

can be found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=558328

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by whilan

Clutching at Straws combined with the fact that as release approaches you may see more info...

The word here is PAX EAST and the fact that they enabled the guild section of the website is interesting no more. The fact all guilds will potentially allocated a server automatically pre release is more interesting, can they be moved ?