Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera wasnt ready for launch in Korea......

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by rav3n2

I for one did enjoy almost the chaotic way that L2 really evolved, I remember when I couldnt even afford to use more than 1 soulshot per mob to spamming it every hit, when you went into Nurka's hideout and just saw a house and wondered what that was and an expansion later this boss started to appear and you could have the clan hall. Running around and finding a castle and wondering what was inside cause no one could conquer them yet. 

Even with all its imbalances I do hope it goes like that, there was a natural discovery process, people found better hunting spots every new content patch, and you ended up pretty much living in remote places with your clan once you found some place away from everyone else that was really worth it.

I agree, that was the great thing about L2.

And I recall that I "could" solo very well. But if I had a buffer then I could be a monster!

The buffers could solo but very slowly. So it created a nice synergy. This is why I'm ok with some imbalance as long as each class or set of skills makes some sort of sense.

For instance, Blade Dancers weren't monster dps'ers (though they did well enough) but you really wanted one in your party.

As far as the drops thing, in L2 it was beyond rare to get drops. But the quicker you could go through mobs the better so parties were made for places like Tower of Insolence so you could get the drops you needed.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by rav3n2

I for one did enjoy almost the chaotic way that L2 really evolved, I remember when I couldnt even afford to use more than 1 soulshot per mob to spamming it every hit, when you went into Nurka's hideout and just saw a house and wondered what that was and an expansion later this boss started to appear and you could have the clan hall. Running around and finding a castle and wondering what was inside cause no one could conquer them yet. 

Even with all its imbalances I do hope it goes like that, there was a natural discovery process, people found better hunting spots every new content patch, and you ended up pretty much living in remote places with your clan once you found some place away from everyone else that was really worth it.

I agree, that was the great thing about L2.

And I recall that I "could" solo very well. But if I had a buffer then I could be a monster!

The buffers could solo but very slowly. So it created a nice synergy. This is why I'm ok with some imbalance as long as each class or set of skills makes some sort of sense.

For instance, Blade Dancers weren't monster dps'ers (though they did well enough) but you really wanted one in your party.

As far as the drops thing, in L2 it was beyond rare to get drops. But the quicker you could go through mobs the better so parties were made for places like Tower of Insolence so you could get the drops you needed.

Absolutely, leveling and playing through L2 really felt like you were gathering more knowledge through all these new areas, I remember Cruma tower, one day it was empty, a few clannies in there, then suddently it was the place to be, everyone was there, ppl had shops at the entrace, clans "reserved" rooms for entire weeks never leaving it. Then there was the natural progression to the 2nd floor of cruma, where no one except the higher level people went to, and you felt good when your party could handle the second floor.

Blade Dancers were extremely needed, I remember when I saw the first time a BD doing its dances, I think every time he did it, like 10 ppl ran to him to ask him what was he doing.

I think rare drops is ok, you had an abundance of materials, specially if you worked as a guild, it really made guild relationships very important as it was very hard for someone on their own to achieve some of the crafts.

• LumanilLumanil Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by nomss

Originally posted by Lathander81

Originally posted by nomss

What a shame... followed right into FFXIV steps, pathetic. Even after knowing there is so much competition, they are still smart enough to launch when the game is not ready.

"There is still a lot of content we have not gotten to show. We still have a lot of things to reveal so we ask for everyone to wait a bit. TERA’s client size is 22GB but that is not all. Once again I ask everyone to wait a bit for us to show some really enjoyable content."

"It is true that playtime is important. We constantly keep an eye on item drop rates; we thought players could use a challenge and that's why we’ve created the droprate we have. Of course the drop rates can always change in the future and it is simply at a monitoring stage."

Unreal, I see where this korean grind has originated.

Dang I was looking forward to this game, now I'm like bah...

I just hope ANet and Bioware do not fall for this supidity.

FF launch failed so hard they had to let poeple play for free. I doubt this will be the case with Tera. Its not even here yet so why are you so uptight about it?

Imo, Tera is THE most beautiful game I have ever seen. I'm getting upset b/c of this grind thing I'm about to face. I have played legend of martial arts for about 2-3 hours. And when you are having to kill 30+ mobs for 5 xxx items you need from them, it is just frustrating. As for this westerniazation, I bet Aion must have said the same thing too.

30+ mobs for 5 items you need ??? Seriously, that's nothing to complain about. Even WoW has droprates which are worse than this.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by Lumanil

30+ mobs for 5 items you need ??? Seriously, that's nothing to complain about. Even WoW has droprates which are worse than this.

I believe the difference is, WoW mobs die in 3-5 seconds and from what I have seen mobs take a lot longer to die in Tera.

• Derza10Derza10 Member Posts: 70
    Not True mobs in tera die fast, I think maybe you only watch elite mob fights?
  • KaledusKaledus Member Posts: 73

Derza10 is right, a lot of mobs in Tera don't take long to kill at all. There are just those handful in each zone that you encounter such as the "Elites" that may take some time to kill. With a party, they actually do go much faster. :)

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

The presure from the Finacial department, stock holders, dead line's, the profits.

All contribute to releasing alot of craptastic games, i understand you have a deadline, cant work to long on a game or you end up losing in the red numbers instead of the green, but tbh....its a shame so many promesing mmo's / Games are destroyed before they ever see the light :(

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    launch record dont mean jack if 70% of them dont stick around after 1st month.
  • skukoskuko Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, again, some of those issues are non-issues for me so it wouldn't matter if I waited or not.

look, I cut my teeth on mmo's with Lineage 2. I went many levels without getting a drop, classes were not really balanced as many of them had specific roles to fill.

If it's a non-issue then it's a non-issue. Some of that stuff like bots or bad AH are issues and will have to be fixed sooner rather than later (if they can, I'm not sure of any game that has eliminated bots).

The solution is easy. Either don't play and problem solved or play until you can't stand it.

It would help to have perspective from an actual player to see how bad some of these issues are.

ok, let me give you a perspective from a european playing K-Tera.

my feelings are mixed. on one hand, the combat is uber fun, but on the other hand, there are problems.

THE biggest problem for me are delays in skill activation caused by high latency to korea (this is not the games fault tho). in PVE it's manageable, but i wouldn't dare to do any serious PVP with this. when i see how fluid the combat is for koreans, it makes me wanna cry. but as i said, this ain't the games fault.

the game is extremely solo unfriendly beyond level 30. after you hit 30, you start getting more and more group quests. also the majority of the mobs are group mobs (size is normal, but they have much more HP and damage output).

my biggest personal gripe with CURRENT tera is pvp tho. there's absolutely no reason to pvp. i won't dive into it much, because i think it's all going to change for EU/NA release, even for korea.

anyway, all in all - after you hit 50(current cap), there's not much to do: grind elites for money/drops, run instances on 6hr CD, and do BGs - that's about it.

now don't get me wrong the game is really good, but it's not finished yet and i am not dissing it.

also, i don't speak any korean, so it's impossible to understand what is going on in the world.

i took this as a betatest for myself, to test the core mechanics of the game and i like it very much tbh. here's to hoping that the westernization process will bring some purpose to PVP - like a guild war dec system or so.

as i said before, combat is extremely entertaining and challenging - i seriously doubt i will be able to play a tab target mmo after playing tera.

my char is a level 50 slayer.

my 2c

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

It amazes me how people have no problem defending developers who have clearly released an unfinished product.

• skukoskuko Member Posts: 2

i'm not defending them, none of the mmos i played to this date have had a smooth/polished/finished release.

tera has great potential, i just hope it won't go to waste.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Lydon

It amazes me how fanboys have no problem defending developers who have clearly released an unfinished product.

Corrected that for you image

• JamesErnstJamesErnst Member UncommonPosts: 53

It amazes me how people have no problem defending developers who have clearly released an unfinished product.

well its not released here yet :) they're going to do a Beta test in the states/Europe for a reason right?

--Gaymer Extraordinaire--

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I think that's the "westernisation" is all about and I don't have any problem waiting for it.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by JamesErnst

well its not released here yet :) they're going to do a Beta test in the states/Europe for a reason right?

Well one would hope they are not using poor Korean people as paying beta testers. But knowing how the industry works, I would not be surprised if they do.

For me personally I like that Asian games are released in Asia way before in the west because the games I played, Lineage 2, Aion and FFIX have all been really polished when released in the west. Not sure that the Asian people, playing those games, agree though.