Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Informing the MMO

2»

Comments

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by just2duh

I havn't really been paying any attention to the MMO, my interest is in the SP game.

It gets my vote for most under-rated RPG of 2012 lol. Yes that's right, release isn't until dec.30, 2012 (erm.. closer to 2013 omfg! TOO FAR AWAY!!!)

G4 recently put out a preview of the SP, check it out:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/710867/Your-First-Look-at-Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning.html

Actually Reckoning is supposed to launch Q3 of 2011. 

Not only is this the date plastered all over every gaming site but it's also on the Reckoning site itself. 

So it's closer than you think!

Hm really!? I havn't been following it too closely ;) I hope it comes this year.

The only place i've seen it was in that G4 preview, which was dec.20th 2012, really wouldn't surprize me they got it wrong though lol, they've been slipping something terrible lately (more so than normal anyways).

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i cannot bloody sand curt schilling (big time yankees fan) but i have to give credit where credit's due; he looks like he's really got his finger on the pulse of what makes an intriguing game.

(sadly!) looking forward to it!

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I havn't really been paying any attention to the MMO, my interest is in the SP game.

It gets my vote for most under-rated RPG of 2012 lol. Yes that's right, release isn't until dec.30, 2012 (erm.. closer to 2013 omfg! TOO FAR AWAY!!!)

G4 recently put out a preview of the SP, check it out:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/710867/Your-First-Look-at-Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning.html

Actually Reckoning is supposed to launch Q3 of 2011. 

Not only is this the date plastered all over every gaming site but it's also on the Reckoning site itself. 

So it's closer than you think!

Hm really!? I havn't been following it too closely ;) I hope it comes this year.

The only place i've seen it was in that G4 preview, which was dec.20th 2012, really wouldn't surprize me they got it wrong though lol, they've been slipping something terrible lately (more so than normal anyways).

About the 1:15 mark of the video on the home page

http://www.reckoningthegame.com/#home

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Wait,, so whats the interesting thing about the MMO?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

Very interesting business idea, to first make a single-player RPG, to bring people in, and then nudge them into an MMO version. Very smart.

As for the game, I'd be totally happy if it were nothing like Dragon Age. I've been into fantasy game for over 20 years, and I love Bioware products (ME for the win) - but DA was the most dull, uninteresting, lifeless and utterly generic piece of fantasy ever! Four races that all looked the same, except for being short (dwarves), pointed ears, etc etc..

Anyways, I had forgotten about this project, so thanks Jon!

Originally posted by korvass

Very interesting business idea, to first make a single-player RPG, to bring people in, and then nudge them into an MMO version. Very smart.

As for the game, I'd be totally happy if it were nothing like Dragon Age. I've been into fantasy game for over 20 years, and I love Bioware products (ME for the win) - but DA was the most dull, uninteresting, lifeless and utterly generic piece of fantasy ever! Four races that all looked the same, except for being short (dwarves), pointed ears, etc etc..

Anyways, I had forgotten about this project, so thanks Jon!

With Ken Rolston on board a have a feeling it'll have some interesting gameplay, I mean this man has worked the gambit from pnp D&D to Oblivion, so at the core it should have an interesting design philosophy. 

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

I don't know. Just because there's some big names behind this doesn't mean they can make a great MMO. More importantly, it doesn't mean they'll break the current mold. And people say a lot of things, but when they're selling it's often full of misleading hype. I'll continue to watch, but I have yet to see anything substantial to get me excited.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by Amaranthar

I don't know. Just because there's some big names behind this doesn't mean they can make a great MMO. More importantly, it doesn't mean they'll break the current mold. And people say a lot of things, but when they're selling it's often full of misleading hype. I'll continue to watch, but I have yet to see anything substantial to get me excited.

Haven't they already borken the mold in some ways by releasing a single player RPG first? While some can argue this is what SWTOR did, the intention is clearly different. TOR came about because of the single player games, it appears Reckoning is coming about because of the MMO. That is different. Is it going to be great because of some big names and highly experienced people (Ken Rolston)? No, but does that increase its chances of being great? yep. 

Originally posted by danJ188

This looks..highly interesting. I will take a look at the RPG, and it captures me, as I think it will, I will def look forward to a expanded MMO. I love history, either in real life or made up. I just about ate up every ounce of Tolkien lore I could find, do expansive as it was. To have an MMO that literally wraps itself in 10,000 years of history sounds amazing. Really, all developers these days care about is the quick and easy, for money. Profit above all else. Nobody ever wants to just relax, and telle a -story-. I get that feeling from these guys-they just want to tell a story, and immerse the player in said story.

Definitly excited.

Don't think that these guys don't want to make a profit either, watch this video 

http://38studios.com/people/visionaries

McFarlane and Schelling are clearly the competitive types and so they want this to be a success, but they also care about quality and unlike many studios money isn't as big an issue for them, so they can take their time in making a quality product. I mean how long have these three been working together? Something like 2 or 3 years, if not more. 

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

It's interesting but too far ahead in time to get excited about.

Originally posted by Neloth

It's interesting but too far ahead in time to get excited about.

Well the single player RPG will be out this year, so I doubt they'll wait more than another two years to release the MMO. 

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

Hope it comes to Steam (Au) ..

• malrodmalrod Member Posts: 87

i have been excited about the rpg for awhile now. lots of POTENTIAL, a great team has been put together, im HOPING for the best.

live long and prosper
    strength and honor

if urgent do it yourself
    if you have time-delegate it
    if you have forever-form a committee

• EQ2ThanosEQ2Thanos Member UncommonPosts: 55

Oversize weapons are not immersive :(

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by EQ2Thanos

Oversize weapons are not immersive :(

not to mention swords with so many nooks in them that they'd get torn out of your hand every time you connect.   Hopefully the MMO will correct this, but I doubt it.  It's just one of the bad things North American developers have picked up from the Anime style.

As I understand it Rolston is making the MMO, not Reckoning  - which is being developed by another studio.  I doubt he has much if anything to do with this game - whereas McFarlane and Salvatore (obviously) do.

Originally posted by grimfall

As I understand it Rolston is making the MMO, not Reckoning  - which is being developed by another studio.  I doubt he has much if anything to do with this game - whereas McFarlane and Salvatore (obviously) do.

Last questions on the FAQ page http://www.reckoningthegame.com/#faq

However the only bit of info I can glean for sure about Copernicus (the MMO) is this page which does not meantion Rolston. http://38studios.com/products/copernicus. That's not to say he is not involved in the MMO, but so far he's not advertised as involved in the MMO, just the sp RPG. 

Originally posted by Leoghan

However the only bit of info I can glean for sure about Copernicus (the MMO) is this page which does not meantion Rolston. http://38studios.com/products/copernicus. That's not to say he is not involved in the MMO, but so far he's not advertised as involved in the MMO, just the sp RPG. 

Oh, on his Wiki it says he's the lead designer at Big Huge Games.  That's too bad, because I'd rather have him working on the MMO.

Originally posted by Leoghan

Oh, on his Wiki it says he's the lead designer at Big Huge Games.  That's too bad, because I'd rather have him working on the MMO.

Well he probably is, I just don't know for sure. 

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

Nice read

I have been following this game for ages ,I think with such a prestigious development  team the single player game and MMO can't go wrong

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I am tired of words... I want to see some gameplay and specifics.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I played the demo, really liking the game