Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game still in development?

VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Never get any news from it,it is about 5 yeares since I first read about it, I am very interested in it if the game is still under construction.

Comments

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

you could just check their website first? http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/  :)

check the developer log (it is still in development)

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

yes i did chec but nothing has happent on that website for years no forums nothing:-(

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

that is why i said check the developer log

i see a message from:

Happy Holiday fourth quarter update

18 December 2010

i dont think you will see that game anytime soon since it is all a proto trype they are working for years on now so they are far from done

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Onigod

that is why i said check the developer log

i see a message from:

Happy Holiday fourth quarter update

18 December 2010

i dont think you will see that game anytime soon since it is all a proto trype they are working for years on now so they are far from done

They were at a major stage just before Xmas, they had created the worlds and were booting all the eco systems in. Make or break time......

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Originally posted by Vidir

yes i did chec but nothing has happent on that website for years no forums nothing:-(

Well in just the past year they've added many news posts including information about the races...

Generally you won't see Jatar come and just post random threads here.  He'll pop up to respond to stuff (if he can).  I can't see much point in them having forums considering the ones here aren't that active.  I mean, he can only answer the same questions so many times at this point...

Their last post said they'd post new screenshots once they get some terrain stuff finished so hopefully they're busy working hard on that stuff.  I'm excited to see what they have in store since it sounds like there will be a pretty big graphics update since their earlier prototype screenshots.

The last post also mentioned possibly doing some testing in early 2011 so it sounds to me like they're still working on it and making progress (I don't remember seeing mention of testing with a rough date before that post).

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

They've been working on this for well over 6 years, at least. What indie can afford to keep an MMO team on payroll for over 6 years and still be nowhere near finished, and nothing tangible to show for it aside from some really bad looking 3D images and long, rambling posts?

I don't think you'll ever see anything here. I think this game gives a whole new meaning to the term "imagineering".

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Dakirn

Well in just the past year they've added many news posts including information about the races...

Writing about the races that are planned for one's MMO is the equivalent of talking about the rims one plans to buy for the engineless '68 Camaro sitting on blocks in his driveway. It's something to talk about to compensate for the lack of anything substantial to talk about. I honestly think MMORPG.com adds in too many "MMOs in development" that are really little more than some tinkering in a DIY MMO kit and a page of the standard gamer wish list disguised as an actual features list. Now, before anyone craps on me for daring to say a disparaging word about an indie project, am I being mean or am I being wholly realistic about some of these projects? 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

The game is in development not really much more to say. MMORPG.com obviously have enough info to keep it registered here.

The quote below is about an hour old:

"There is still a lot of work to go, so no real date on any kind of testing yet, but this was a significant milestone on the way to our goals of creating a living world… an entire world.  The technology behind this is quite staggering and we can easily say it has never been done previously.   We expect to show some screenshots of the world in a few months (after we have time to grow the plants, yes, grow).  Right now the planet looks a bit like Mars due to no foliage growth.    Soon we’ll abandon the test terrain (which was done the old fashion way) and move all work over into the real Reflected World."

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

They've been working on this for well over 6 years, at least. What indie can afford to keep an MMO team on payroll for over 6 years and still be nowhere near finished, and nothing tangible to show for it aside from some really bad looking 3D images and long, rambling posts?

I don't think you'll ever see anything here. I think this game gives a whole new meaning to the term "imagineering".

Everyone is, of course, welcome to their opinion, but opinions have little impact on what we are doing.  You asked a simple question of "What indie can afford to keep an MMO team on payroll for over 6 years and still be nowhere near finished?'   Well, we can, through milliions of dollars of private investment.  We set out to make a new kind of MMO experience, and we had to develop new technology from the ground up to do it.  R&D takes a lot of time, and a lot of money, both of which we have been willing to spend.  The R&D portion is nearly complete, but there is still more time to be spent making and testing the game play.  Though people may get upset about how long we are taking, and have their opinions about who and what we are, these things don't and can't have any impact on the reality of what we are doing.

Here is the reality, when the game comes out none of the various opinions about what we did or how long we took will matter.  The game will be judged on what it is, and we're fine with that.  We continue to work.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Writing about the races that are planned for one's MMO is the equivalent of talking about the rims one plans to buy for the engineless '68 Camaro sitting on blocks in his driveway. It's something to talk about to compensate for the lack of anything substantial to talk about. I honestly think MMORPG.com adds in too many "MMOs in development" that are really little more than some tinkering in a DIY MMO kit and a page of the standard gamer wish list disguised as an actual features list. Now, before anyone craps on me for daring to say a disparaging word about an indie project, am I being mean or am I being wholly realistic about some of these projects? 

Are you being wholly realistic about some of these projects?  Probably.  About ours?  Well, not at all.  We certainly aren't 'tinkering in a DIY MMO kit'.  Every line of code for every piece of this game has been written from scratch.  None of the engines out there could even possibly handle the design of this game, so a team of programmers had to develop the engine specifically to make this game (though they may decide to allow other future games or other industries to use it, that's not our affair).  CoS is their prototype testbed for the new technology, just like Unreal or FarCry were for those engines.

As for this being a wish list disguised as an actual features list... well, that would be news to the team that has been building this week after week for six years.   But nothing I say in here is going to convince certain people of anything.  We know that.  And it's not that we don't care, we just don't have the time or inclination to give out more than we have already until the time is right.  It's OK to doubt us and it's OK to complain, that's your right in life.   All we ask is that when we do release the actual game that you give us equal props for actually accomplishing that 'wish list'. 

We hope to see you all in the game some day in the future, stop by the Queen of Hearts Pub, that's where I like to hang out sometimes when I'm in the game world.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Jatar

Are you being wholly realistic about some of these projects?  Probably.  About ours?  Well, not at all.  We certainly aren't 'tinkering in a DIY MMO kit'.  Every line of code for every piece of this game has been written from scratch.  None of the engines out there could even possibly handle the design of this game, so a team of programmers had to develop the engine specifically to make this game (though they may decide to allow other future games or other industries to use it, that's not our affair).  CoS is their prototype testbed for the new technology, just like Unreal or FarCry were for those engines.

As for this being a wish list disguised as an actual features list... well, that would be news to the team that has been building this week after week for six years.   But nothing I say in here is going to convince certain people of anything.  We know that.  And it's not that we don't care, we just don't have the time or inclination to give out more than we have already until the time is right.  It's OK to doubt us and it's OK to complain, that's your right in life.   All we ask is that when we do release the actual game that you give us equal props for actually accomplishing that 'wish list'. 

We hope to see you all in the game some day in the future, stop by the Queen of Hearts Pub, that's where I like to hang out sometimes when I'm in the game world.

Good to hear this information.  I've been following this game very sporadically, but think it sounds like one of the more innovative MMO attempts currently in development.

Looking forward to more.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Rohn

Originally posted by Jatar

Good to hear this information.  I've been following this game very sporadically, but think it sounds like one of the more innovative MMO attempts currently in development.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks for popping in Jatar , Nice to know you are well and I'll be looking up your favorite tavern .....

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

Knowing a game with such features is being developped has spawned some patience I didn't think I had in me. After all, better a polished game than a rushed one with 90% of the features stripped off.

• OtoanOtoan Member UncommonPosts: 17

I'm really looking forward to this game and can be as patient as Job.

Originally posted by Otoan

I'm really looking forward to this game and can be as patient as Job.

Me too, when can I play?   Er... wait, ah yes, we're still working on it.  Well, keep up the faith, progress on CoS is constant, and as I often tell other team members, if we keep getting stuff done every day, eventually we have to finish.  We do hope to pick up the pace this year considerably, and hire about 100 new team members, so that should help :)

• PellagrenPellagren Member Posts: 32
    This thread needs to be restarted.  The game still is in development and they are starting to show off the concept to the gaming press.  Great read by Phil Blood on the main page.  It sure has me excited!
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Plese start a new thread instead of posting in old ones. Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.