Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EU, US, Asian servers EvE

ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Will bandwith constrents and numbers finally force CCP to go to EU, US, Asian servers has anyone heard what if any bottle necks now  happen on one server. Anyone

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                        MAGA

Comments

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

CCP has no plans on splitting US and EU players. It would completely destroy the game. I mean, it would be so bad that CCP would probably have to shut it's doors with in a couple months.

However, they have talked about merging the Chinese server with Tranquility, not the other way around.

Quit trying to spread hysteria, this thread is just absolutely ridiculous. Reported.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Robokapp

eve's population is stable so there' no reason to change anything. besides the very promise of the sandbox is that everyone plays in the same universe. minus china. So it'll never happen.

Sandbox really has nothing to do with everyone playing in the same universe.

That trait has worked well for EVE, but isn't actually required for a game to be a fun sandbox.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Axehilt

eve's population is stable so there' no reason to change anything. besides the very promise of the sandbox is that everyone plays in the same universe. minus china. So it'll never happen.

That trait has worked well for EVE, but isn't actually required for a game to be a fun sandbox.

This. To be honest, I would be happy to move to a US server as long as my char remained the same. It would kind of be a gold rush of sorts. Brutal I would think. Like back in the old days.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Will bandwith constrents and numbers finally force CCP to go to EU, US, Asian servers has anyone heard what if any bottle necks now  happen on one server. Anyone

Will 8 years of EVE staying single shard finally force Elsabolts to realise it's supposed to be that way and stay that, and stop him making up unsupported reasons why EVE should turn into yet another generic, multi-sharded PVE grindfest? Anyone?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It's not required but it definitely helps. There's a big difference between your actions affecting  a few thousand people and your actions affecting hundreds of thousands of people.

If you have manipulated the market in a region such that you basically control the price of a certain ship, you have done so for everyone that plays EVE Online. In a multi-shard world, your actions are much less significant. Likewise, the person or corp that breaks your price stranglehold has effectively altered what everyone in EVE Online plays for that item in that region. The diplomatic decisions, conquests and market changes that players set in motion have far more reach and far more impact when everyone plays in the same game world.

Player councils are also more effective for a single-shard universe, as lawmaking for ATITD and CSM input in EVE Online  is brought about from a collective understanding of how the game community functions as a whole.  While the community itself is diverse, there is a general direction and flow to a single shard, whereas multiple shards would see multiple directions of gameplay. Asheron's Call is a very clear example of that - Morningthaw and Frostfell servers were very community focused, even to the point of having Monarch (guild leader) councils and meetings. Thistledown was such a unified server that during major story arc events they several times effectively broke the event by collectively working against them.To effectively have player councils for that game, one would need a separate council for each server, especially with how strongly the players associated themselves with their server community. Each rule or action would be significant to the few people on that server, but almost completely unknown to anyone outside of it.

The reach and impact of actions and decisions are a lot greater in a single-shard universe.

I guess a good example would be: What happened on the China server so far this year? Do you know? Do you even care? If something amazing happened it would make for interesting news but, as a Tranquility player, it really doesn't affect you any.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by batolemaeus

{Mod edit}

No, I'm just amusing myself at his expense.

Also I do like the cat picture so.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Currently they are a million miles away from there being a bottle neck on the badwidth subject.   The major contributor so far is just hardware and software performance.

By the time they develop eve to the state where internet bandwidth and latency is an issue then technology would probably have advanced to the point where geographical location would never be an issue.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by sadeyx

Currently they are a million miles away from there being a bottle neck on the badwidth subject.   The major contributor so far is just hardware and software performance.

By the time they develop eve to the state where internet bandwidth and latency is an issue then technology would probably have advanced to the point where geographical location would never be an issue.

Then why did CCP let china have there own game ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

are you guys even serious!bandwith issue?what bandwith issue!thunderbolt can be scaled up to 100 gb/sec lol 1 connection.

so if any issue of bandwith arise i bet the first move ccp will do is to get thunderbolt or other fiberopic solution that might be missing because of some silly net provider!the only place they might have bandwith issue is in the usa so i highly doubt they will ever move here!they would prob move to korea first lol ,some of the fastest network on the planet!

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It's not required but it definitely helps. There's a big difference between your actions affecting  a few thousand people and your actions affecting hundreds of thousands of people.

If you have manipulated the market in a region such that you basically control the price of a certain ship, you have done so for everyone that plays EVE Online. In a multi-shard world, your actions are much less significant. Likewise, the person or corp that breaks your price stranglehold has effectively altered what everyone in EVE Online plays for that item in that region. The diplomatic decisions, conquests and market changes that players set in motion have far more reach and far more impact when everyone plays in the same game world.

Player councils are also more effective for a single-shard universe, as lawmaking for ATITD and CSM input in EVE Online  is brought about from a collective understanding of how the game community functions as a whole.  While the community itself is diverse, there is a general direction and flow to a single shard, whereas multiple shards would see multiple directions of gameplay. Asheron's Call is a very clear example of that - Morningthaw and Frostfell servers were very community focused, even to the point of having Monarch (guild leader) councils and meetings. Thistledown was such a unified server that during major story arc events they several times effectively broke the event by collectively working against them.To effectively have player councils for that game, one would need a separate council for each server, especially with how strongly the players associated themselves with their server community. Each rule or action would be significant to the few people on that server, but almost completely unknown to anyone outside of it.

The reach and impact of actions and decisions are a lot greater in a single-shard universe.

I guess a good example would be: What happened on the China server so far this year? Do you know? Do you even care? If something amazing happened it would make for interesting news but, as a Tranquility player, it really doesn't affect you any.

This, in spades. Having a single server as opposed to multiple servers/shards can make a very large difference to an mmo with a sandbox set up.

Whichever way you look at it multiple servers/shards serve to dilute the overall playerbase/economy and leads to 'specialized' communities on each server. It also means that it is far easier for someone/a group to dominate a server whilst at the same time decreasing their impact upon the games community as a whole.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Because of China's laws regarding online gaming. It had nothing to do with bandwith or similar technical issues.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

I do not belive that you dont know why China got there own server so im assuming you are either trolling or have zero interest in international news and therefore has never learnt that China has an iron grip on there internet with powerfull censorship in goverment controll therefore meaning that Chinese useres can only play online games based in china and therefore forced to follow there draconian censorship laws.

Basically if you want your MMO to have a chinese audience it HAS to be based physically in China.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419
    Eu and US log in at different times so your logic is slightly flawed in thinking put two together would create bottleneck.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I'm sure CCP's goal is to continue to take advantage of the lastest state of the art server technology to continue to expand their single universe technology.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

The more people you have playing a MMORPG where player actions define the content of the game the better the game is for everyone.  Your actions are content for everyone else playing even if it's something as trivial as selling an item for just 1 ISK less than another player.

As for the China issue, the government in China has their own ideas on what is acceptable and they need to be met in order to operate an online game in China.

(I'd prefer not to play a chinese version, whatever that is...)