Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom: Going Freemium

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Thanks to MMORPG.com user Cecropia, we have been alerted to the fact that Ryzom will be going 'freemium' as of March 9th. Players will have unlimited access to the game but will have a maximum level of 125 in all different skills. Devs are also adding a new boss and a new roleplay experience for continuing players.

New Zoraï enemy to fight: "Pei-Ruz the Rotten"

The Marauders' thirst for vengeance continues to grow. After Dante the Teaser, a new enemy makes his appearance. Although his camp has not yet been discovered, it is rumored that Pei-Ruz the Rotten wants you to experience the most terrible suffering. Homins should expect a fight.

If you want a sneak preview of this new marauder, log in on Wednesday, 9 March at 00:00 GMT.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Yes Yes Yes !!!

So many great titles going F2P!

Its a main reason i couldnt make myself buy RIFT.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Great news this will bring the population it needs, looking forward to getting back in to it :)

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Cool. However,  EQ progression server and Ryzom, so many games, so little spare  time image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Downloading Ryzom. Yay =] I hope there is still my guild.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Interesting, especially if you're into crafting and world exploration.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Thats wonderful news, Ryzom could really do well from this! 

One of the few truly special mmo's that never got the break it deserves.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

Intersting I might give this a try, be a nice change from the world of warcraft clones that all the devs seem to like to puke out.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

feh for me any game going to freemium, mean it was "this or close server" so let's do freemium so we can milk something more from it

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • HaatchiHaatchi Member Posts: 67

Ryzom being the most complex sandbox ever created, I just regret that they are not trying to launch a Next server.

We say that some games have a great potential, this is not the case of Ryzom. Ryzom has no potential, it is already perfect. The sandbox is perfect, poor marketing destroyed it. I don't know whether I should reinstall the game for the 10000x, you can't really start without players' help, and you can't get help without players.. :s

• AnonymousMeAnonymousMe Member Posts: 49

Did they add a "general chat" yet, or do you still get yelled at by the die-hards for using the "help" channel since it's the only global one?

• LordMagnusLordMagnus Member CommonPosts: 1,322

C'mon people! We gotta get these servers more populated. An mmo just isn't worth playing with such a lack of people. Let's breath new life into this gem!

I logged on and there was no one around so I just didn't bother. I may give it a shot again in a few days when more people find out about this. Aside from that though, the game looks fucking awesome. I can't believe I never gave this game a shot until now.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Good news! And perhaps for me now time to download it and play it a bit as well. 21 days is too short to get to know Ryzom IMO ;-)

• JoeyxdJoeyxd Member UncommonPosts: 9

freaking a mazing!! lets all now give it a shot it might be worth

• JoeyxdJoeyxd Member UncommonPosts: 9

LMAO I THOUG IT WAS 

Xsyon Earth 2012: Prelude  srry both i tried ryzom and it getsd boring quite fast lets hope the Xsyon go free anytime soon :p

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I am not really surprised but it is hopefully good news (I am not sure until I see what they will sell and not).

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

I played it 3 weeks (free trial then) and it was worth it. Graphics and animations were ok, combats were a bit rough sometimes (or not so predictable?) but you have definite paths on the ground (like Guild Wars). Free skills were interesting and you have unique features like environments changing according to seasons, and animal migrations and herds moving around the region.

If you are wondering about population and development, population was scarce but helpful when I played and development team is still working on the title bringing occasional updates, so afaik they attained equilibrium and I would be less worried to invest in Ryzom than in say... Vanguard. I'll certainly redownload it next week.

I hope this unlimited trial will bring more subscriptions so they can hire people and add content and polish things too, Ryzom is definitely worth a try and a second rebirth!

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Originally posted by Loke666

I am not really surprised but it is hopefully good news (I am not sure until I see what they will sell and not).

According to their forum thread they didn't add an item store, just the possibility to play till a skill limit then you don't earn XP anymore:

New Free Trial System

We are pleased to announce that from now on, players that create a new account can play Ryzom without time or place limits. Instead, free trial accounts are now limited to a maximum level of 125 in all different skills, enabling everyone to sample all aspects of Ryzom and to discover what makes this MMO unique. When you reach level 125 in a skill you can still continue playing, but you will gain no more experience points. The second limitation is storage: you cannot own any mektoub packers, use the inventory of your apartment or take any items from a guild hall.

Despite the freedom of this new system, we would like to remind you that Ryzom can only live on through your paid subscriptions. Thank you for the confidence you have in us.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Cool. However,  EQ progression server and Ryzom, so many games, so little spare  time image

I am with you buddy.  This is great news but on the downside all it does it make my life more complicated.....Shame on you Ryzom!;)

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

awesome news~! now what is this "Rift" game people talk about?

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Rift never claimed to be a sandbox.. I don't know why all you sandbox fans have to bash the game for not being what you somehow "expected"... Ryzom is a great game, but to those who have WoW on the mind, it is a sandbox.. it can be a brutal one as well, yes there is PvP (last time I played, I think it started on the main continent area) and everything is fairly open..

It will be difficult to survive in this game as a pure soloist, especially with capped skills, so the social aspect is pretty important and useful here..

Just understand what type of game you are playing and you will not be dissapointed.. It's obvious that some people mistaken Rift as the next best sandbox game or something..

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I need a bigger hard drive and I need 36 hours in a day... someone get on that please.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by Divlas

Ryzom being the most complex sandbox ever created, I just regret that they are not trying to launch a Next server.

We say that some games have a great potential, this is not the case of Ryzom. Ryzom has no potential, it is already perfect. The sandbox is perfect, poor marketing destroyed it.

Nonsense. Ryzom is far from perfect. It's half-finished. At least there might be people in it now it's free. My experience of Ryzom was the loneliest I've ever spent in an MMO.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

So ... they replaced the "island trial" with a "capped skill trial" ?

Either they were already freemium, or they still aren't :)

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Oooh nices, gonna have to DL and play this one on occasion again...

• HaatchiHaatchi Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Mahlo

Originally posted by Divlas

We say that some games have a great potential, this is not the case of Ryzom. Ryzom has no potential, it is already perfect. The sandbox is perfect, poor marketing destroyed it.

Nonsense. Ryzom is far from perfect. It's half-finished. At least there might be people in it now it's free. My experience of Ryzom was the loneliest I've ever spent in an MMO.

Sorry, you didn't play the game at the good time.