Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Read before you buy

1234568»

Comments

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

Originally posted by DarthMooska

This game has no immersion. I always complain about WoW's immersion, but Rift has somehow outdone Blizzard in making a game where I had to force myself into logging on and playing for 45 minutes at a time(maximum time I could go without boredom sinking in) to advance my character. Sure the graphics are good and I even would say that I loved the sole system, creating a more personallized character, but the content is just the worst ever. Questing makes me feel like a drone. The rift system was fun the 1st 5 times.

If it's not fun, the pros I listed aren't going to get my sub money.

Hmm considering WoW is one of the best when it comes to creating immersive atmosphere, idk where you are coming from.  So what game do you think does better

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

Originally posted by Darkheart00

This game has no immersion. I always complain about WoW's immersion, but Rift has somehow outdone Blizzard in making a game where I had to force myself into logging on and playing for 45 minutes at a time(maximum time I could go without boredom sinking in) to advance my character. Sure the graphics are good and I even would say that I loved the sole system, creating a more personallized character, but the content is just the worst ever. Questing makes me feel like a drone. The rift system was fun the 1st 5 times.

Hmm considering WoW is one of the best when it comes to creating immersive atmosphere, idk where you are coming from.  So what game do you think does better

When you have people doing spreadsheets to figure out what the best talent set is, it starts to feel less like a fantasy world and more like Call of Duty. Mortal Online, although the developers are awful people who will never get my money back, felt like a real world that I was part of. It's not entirely Blizzards fault. People in trade chat linking achievements and writing "ANAL" next to them reminds me about how awful people are in the real world. I guess if you make a game for the masses, you'll have that.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by romanator0

Check my post history i even made detail post on poor pve content (got a lot of flame for it) and lack of balance between classes.

The fact that you got flamed for it shows that people were defending WAR. You just proved yourself wrong.

Thanks for helping my argument.

That was exactly my point.

I've been testing WAR for a year and before launch I was posting about the dullness of the game, yet I got flamed by the majority of people who said the game was "fun"

Except after the first couple of months everyone deserted the game, for 2 reasons

1) the PVE was tedius

2) The PvP was just wrong.

I didn't play Rift PvP, but the PvE was as boring as WAR.

I was not attached to the world, to my character and in the end of Beta I could not bring myself to login.

This is the second AAA MMO after WAR that I didn't buy at release................and I bought even Vanguard knowing I could not run it on my PC

When you have people doing spreadsheets to figure out what the best talent set is, it starts to feel less like a fantasy world and more like Call of Duty. Mortal Online, although the developers are awful people who will never get my money back, felt like a real world that I was part of. It's not entirely Blizzards fault. People in trade chat linking achievements and writing "ANAL" next to them reminds me about how awful people are in the real world. I guess if you make a game for the masses, you'll have that.

Well people want customization having to try different things to see what is best for them. If everyone can have the same power set, chances are after a month you are going to get bored of it, either have to re roll or quit. As for chat, I thought chat was pretty clean in Rift atleast in the servers i have been in (Reclaimer, Regulos).

Originally posted by ste2000

Originally posted by romanator0

Check my post history i even made detail post on poor pve content (got a lot of flame for it) and lack of balance between classes.

The fact that you got flamed for it shows that people were defending WAR. You just proved yourself wrong.

Thanks for helping my argument.

That was exactly my point.

I've been testing WAR for a year and before launch I was posting about the dullness of the game, yet I got flamed by the majority of people who said the game was "fun"

Except after the first couple of months everyone deserted the game, for 2 reasons

1) the PVE was tedius

2) The PvP was just wrong.

I didn't play Rift PvP, but the PvE was as boring as WAR.

I was not attached to the world, to my character and in the end of Beta I could not bring myself to login.

This is the second AAA MMO after WAR that I didn't buy at release................and I bought even Vanguard knowing I could not run it on my PC

As i reply back to him most of the people who where arguing against me didn't play the game or were just in tier 1. Within a week there was lot of negative feedbacks about WAR, just look WAR forums here.

As for Pve in Rifts its far superior to WAR

Better crafting than war which was horrendous.

Quests are far better and mobs have much better AI.

Rifts are better than PQ IMO.

Plenty of Instances to run which WAR seemed to lack.

Not to mention even months after release WAR had more bugs than Rift has currently. I remember i used to get stuck at once or twice an hour in objects or awful lag when taking part in RvR.

Well people want customization having to try different things to see what is best for them. If everyone can have the same power set, chances are after a month you are going to get bored of it, either have to re roll or quit. As for chat, I thought chat was pretty clean in Rift atleast in the servers i have been in (Reclaimer, Regulos).

Oh yeah. I was talking about WoW's chat. Rift's chat, when I played, was full of people saying how much better the game was than WoW. Those people get old fast. I wish I liked Rift more, because I currently have no MMO to play that really interest me. Sinking all my game time into FIFA 11 :/

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

So by what you are saying.....no game has ever had " immersion" becouse there has been, are, and will always be players that do that. It was done in EQ 1 and 2, DAoC and every mmo to date. 

Immersion is something you make for yourself in a game.

I have my "immersion" in RIFT but then I can find my immersion in any game I like and play, maybe its not RIFT, I mean that if you spend time on a forum talking about it so much then maybe the new "game" for you is something to do with forums (my GF goes on Cafe Mom when she gets in a mood for droma with others). 

I'm just saying.

• PhoenixFhirePhoenixFhire Member Posts: 33

I don't care what all the fanbois have to say, I'm glad people are posting things like this for the rest of us. I played one of the beta sessions a few weeks ago. I was totally excited for RIFT, and thinking about quitting my current MMO, Aion. Downloaded the client, updated, and went right in. I played for a total of maybe two hours. Now I know in the grand scheme of an MMO, two hours is nothing. When I'm serious about an MMO, i play two hours minimum, daily. But if a game can't capture my attention for the first two hours, it's doomed. 

Now granted, this is a subjective measure (not even a measure). But umm...that's what all opinions (AKA Reviews and Previews) are.  There are no objective measures of 'fun' and 'visual appeal.'

I don't know what I'm getting at. I'm an MMO vet. I've been playing for the last 10+ years. And no, WoW, wasn't my first MMO. Probably somewhere in the teens after all the ones I've subbed/betaed before it.  RIFT just doesn't have that...and to be cliche here...je ne sai sais quoi.  Yes it may have taken the best parts of many MMOs before it.  But the best parts don't necessarily make the best game.  An outstanding MMO doesn't just innovate, it invents. 

I'll keep reading the reviews, watching RIFT to see how it grow...or dies.  But keep posting the positive and negative reviews. Some of us just too jaded to keep throwing $50 on MMOs that suck or die too soon.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

As i reply back to him most of the people who where arguing against me didn't play the game or were just in tier 1. Within a week there was lot of negative feedbacks about WAR, just look WAR forums here.

Not to mention even months after release WAR had more bugs than Rift has currently. I remember i used to get stuck at once or twice an hour in objects or awful lag when taking part in RvR.

Look, probably everything is better and superior as you said, but I still find it tedious

In fact I said in another post that Rift is the best WoW clone I played so far

Yes it is better than WAR, but I still feel like a BOT while playing this game, stuck in a routine of endless repetitive tasks to get from A to B

I am happy you like it, and I hope it lasts.

My feeling is that it will be a short lived love affair, but time will tell (it will do better than WAR for sure)

• AbraxosAbraxos Member Posts: 412

Again, not really sure why people that play games only for PVP pick up games that clearly state; We got some PVP but also focused a great deal of attention on PVE quests, non-pvp areas, Rifts, and Dungeons. I see this same post in almost every game that comes out and the people always seem shocked that it isn't their cup of tea. I'm going to try PvP in Rifts but I have spent the last week playing a game completely apart from that side of things which means focus was spread beyond the narrow PVP only view?

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by jpnole
    Considering it's the OPs first post I'd say take the seriousness of this thread very lightly.... if at all. Game is great, best thing to happen to mmos in a while.

Not in my eyes, the last thing the market needs is yet another world of warcraft clone #9000. I want something exciting in my mmo not more of the same old boring crap I been doing.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

Originally posted by Arkain

So by what you are saying.....no game has ever had " immersion" becouse there has been, are, and will always be players that do that. It was done in EQ 1 and 2, DAoC and every mmo to date. 

I have my "immersion" in RIFT but then I can find my immersion in any game I like and play, maybe its not RIFT, I mean that if you spend time on a forum talking about it so much then maybe the new "game" for you is something to do with forums (my GF goes on Cafe Mom when she gets in a mood for droma with others). 

I'm just saying.

How did you get this? Didn't I say right above MO had immersion? EQ 1 had a very different community than WoW as did EQ2, DAoC, and SWG while we're at it. I'm on the forums because when you work, you can't play WoW. Employer's seem to notice it unfortunately. Talking about drama, look at you taking personal jabs at me. You're kind of being a hypocrite, not to mention douchebag.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Huge difference here - WoW wasn't launched as a "great PvP" game.  Rift was.  The developers hyped the "great" PvP in Rift and now that the game is out, even the player base will tell you that it's "mainly a PvE" game.

Actually, when WoW was in beta, and was getting closer to launch, they started hyping pvp a lot, saying they would have battle grounds and castle sieges like DAOC did.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by scythe99

Originally posted by jpnole

Considering it's the OPs first post I'd say take the seriousness of this thread very lightly.... if at all. Game is great, best thing to happen to mmos in a while.

Not in my eyes, the last thing the market needs is yet another world of warcraft clone #9000. I want something exciting in my mmo not more of the same old boring crap I been doing.

Well, I wish you the very best of luck in your eternal quest for the One True Game(tm).  It will always be just over the horizon, as no real game will be able to live up to the expectations and projections of someone who is involved in that endless chase.  Today, with many such Believers, its GW2 or TOR.  After they have been demonstrated to not be the One True Game(tm), the focus will shift to the next, and then the next... I'm done with that rat race.  All I'm looking for at this point is an enjoyable, well polished game. Rift fits that rather well.  As for low post count posts, they may well be suspect, but once again, opinions are like belly buttons. We all have one, and they all collect lint. ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Wraithone, Sir, you win.
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455

Look, probably everything is better and superior as you said, but I still find it tedious

In fact I said in another post that Rift is the best WoW clone I played so far

Yes it is better than WAR, but I still feel like a BOT while playing this game, stuck in a routine of endless repetitive tasks to get from A to B

I am happy you like it, and I hope it lasts.

My feeling is that it will be a short lived love affair, but time will tell (it will do better than WAR for sure)

Yeah I also agree the game is tedious. I would also add one more opinion based observation. Like WAR, Rift is also perpetually in a state of war. In terms of immersion and simple enjoyment, I think that's a bad way to create your world. A world should have time for peace and rest otherwise it feels like a grind.

I think if Rift launched maybe two years ago it would have gave WoW a run for it's money. It's very refined and polished with minimal bugs. But this style of gameplay is getting old. Players are getting jaded. It no longer is enough to polish previous MMOs. That time has passed. It's time to change up the gameplay.

People will counter this argument with FPS games but MMOs by nature are deeper games. FPS systems are much more simplistic in their goals which is why so little needs to be changed with each new game. Deep down people expect this genre to evolve more into a virtual world, not a rehash of old game mechanics.
  • ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

I'm just saying.

How did you get this? Didn't I say right above MO had immersion? EQ 1 had a very different community than WoW as did EQ2, DAoC, and SWG while we're at it. I'm on the forums because when you work, you can't play WoW. Employer's seem to notice it unfortunately. Talking about drama, look at you taking personal jabs at me. You're kind of being a hypocrite, not to mention douchebag.

This was not meant as a jab at you, just something to think about.

"douchebag" realy, becouse I point out that one is responsable for there own "immersion" and that all games have have had someone doing "spreadsheets" to map there plain to go from point A to B (just so you know, most likly that is there "immersion"). 

I was only giving my point of view on the points you mad.

oh, and how I got that: 

"When you have people doing spreadsheets to figure out what the best talent set is, it starts to feel less like a fantasy world and more like Call of Duty."

This was done in, about every game, be it video or otherwise to date (there was even a little book on how to make your dice roll better for table top games.

"Mortal Online, although the developers are awful people who will never get my money back, felt like a real world that I was part of."

In Mortal Online you seem to have found your "immersion", but if the game was more popular you would still find the "spreadsheets" style of gaming that you seem to dislike (there will always be those that view every game as a math problem).

"It's not entirely Blizzards fault. People in trade chat linking achievements and writing "ANAL" next to them reminds me about how awful people are in the real world."

There are good people and bad and they all play some game be it MMORPG or other (by the by Sorry to be in your book of bad people, it was not my intent).

"I guess if you make a game for the masses, you'll have that."

This^ is soooo true, but if you want to avoid that then (this is what I do) don't read all the chat.

I view the chat as the background noise one hears in a city, (or in the work place) we only tend to hear it when something perks our attention, one can train one self not to respond to seeing "ANAL" in chat.

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by bastionix

Originally posted by LinaInversa

People are finally starting to come out of their denial stage and admit that this game is generic as hell. There is hope after all...

{Mod edit}

It's a clone that is better than most of its genre in my humble opinion, we all knew it was generic before we jumped in how does that make us sheep? Honestly your making it sound like we are following some fascistic despot insistent on ruining any chance of innovation in the industry, Trion never set out to be that innovative nor do they come across as developers intent on destroying innovation.

This is their first game, it looks to me they went with 'create something that the masses will enjoy and do it well' as their starting point and in that they have succeeded, maybe their future offerings will be more innovative and they'll have more cash to do it off the back of Rift.

Those of you looking for innovation away from the generic fantasy MMO model why are you here when you know that's al that Rift has to offer (plus a little extra)? Shouldn't you be off supporting the games that do?

If I'm bored of it in a months time that's fine, I'm having a blast right now and that's what counts, for £25 I'm not gonna complain.

If you notice most of those accounts are trolls, they have absoluetly nothing to contribute to the thread. It is one of thing to play the game and discuss issues or problems with its, its whole other thing to just come here and whine about how it is not 2nd coming of Christ i guess their lives outside of posting in these forums are pretty miserable.

• Agreed, disgusting thread really. But also, I don't think we can call them trolls, because I think they just doesn't no any better, and are lazy and have done 0 research like I mentioned earlier. They are just clueless and have absolutely no idea what they should expect from this game. They fantasize about what they want the perfect mmorpg should be, then buy a random game, then gets insulted and rages over how bad it is because its not like their fantasy. Garbage.

• tuscaroratuscarora Member Posts: 52

I am not playing the game as yet, but I think developers need to take a page from DCUO on how to make quests more fun.  DC has voiceovers on the quests, I don't have to read a thing.  I am pulled into the game because it is a more natural feel.  If I wanted to read quests, I can go play MU*s again.  At least in a MU* I was already reading it so my imagination created the world for me.  In these games, text breaks us from the graphical interface and seperates our enjoyment by forcing us into another mode.  It may be a left side, right side brain thing... but it's annoying.  It's why we don't read them, we just drive through them.  In DCUO, I enjoy the quests, because I feel like I am interacting with them.  The mobs shouting out at me, the movie clips after the quest chain is done.  It's entertaining, which is what games should be entertainment.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I can belive this thread is going on and on for 20 (probably more) pages...*sigh* welcome to the internet :)

(great..I started page 21)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

I have my "immersion" in RIFT but then I can find my immersion in any game I like and play, maybe its not RIFT, I mean that if you spend time on a forum talking about it so much then maybe the new "game" for you is something to do with forums (). my GF goes on Cafe Mom when she gets in a mood for droma with others

I'm just saying.

This was not meant as a jab at you, just something to think about.

"douchebag" realy, becouse I point out that one is responsable for there own "immersion" and that all games have have had someone doing "spreadsheets" to map there plain to go from point A to B (just so you know, most likly that is there "immersion"). 

I was only giving my point of view on the points you mad.

oh, and how I got that: 

"When you have people doing spreadsheets to figure out what the best talent set is, it starts to feel less like a fantasy world and more like Call of Duty."

This was done in, about every game, be it video or otherwise to date (there was even a little book on how to make your dice roll better for table top games.

"Mortal Online, although the developers are awful people who will never get my money back, felt like a real world that I was part of."

In Mortal Online you seem to have found your "immersion", but if the game was more popular you would still find the "spreadsheets" style of gaming that you seem to dislike (there will always be those that view every game as a math problem).

"It's not entirely Blizzards fault. People in trade chat linking achievements and writing "ANAL" next to them reminds me about how awful people are in the real world."

There are good people and bad and they all play some game be it MMORPG or other (by the by Sorry to be in your book of bad people, it was not my intent).

"I guess if you make a game for the masses, you'll have that."

This^ is soooo true, but if you want to avoid that then (this is what I do) don't read all the chat.

I view the chat as the background noise one hears in a city, (or in the work place) we only tend to hear it when something perks our attention, one can train one self not to respond to seeing "ANAL" in chat.

Here is your personal jab. "my GF goes on Cafe Mom when she gets in a mood for droma with others"

To further my spreadsheet point, I've never played another game where guilds wanted you to have a good spreadsheet to go off of. What other game do you have people that have a required gs or ail to get into a raid?

Things like Indiana Jones and Mr. T's references take you right out of the immersion. Rift lacks immersion for other reasons.