Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best DOTA game out there currently?

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I've tried both, and found LoL a lot more fun. The crowd is more friendly too, although only slightly.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Dungeon Bandits goes into open beta next Friday (February 19th) and is a ton of fun once you get into a match.  It's funny and colorful, but there's a lot of serious strategy involved in the matches, ranging from training mobs on your opposing team, taking advantage of various crates you can pick up and throw for AOE effects like healing, burning, slowing, and accelerating plus a good mix of skills for the various classes.  On top of that, it comes with an editor for you to make and submit your own maps.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

I found League of Legends better than HoN but I don't know its better than Dota. I'd argue they were simply different.

Dungeon Bandits ^ is pretty good, though it does already come under the name Dungeon Party, and not really a Dota clone.

• VlandarVlandar Member Posts: 10

I have played DotA more than 700 hours, and played LoL on beta (1-2 months before release)  but never been able to play HoN (i want a key T_T) and all i can say is that LoL lacks the deep of DotA, if HoN is just a rip off of DotA then HoN > LoL. What a pity that some ex guildies moved into HoN and dont wanna play dota anymore, someone has a key for HoN? >_<

• quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 125

is HoN F2P?

• alysraalysra Member UncommonPosts: 9

For HoN u need to buy the game, LoL is free completely. I played both and I can say LoL is much more fun. Maybe LoL doesnt please ex-dota players but meh, even u are alone u can still have fun in LoL.

Best part about it that every1 is equal (except runes, for me they dont add so much to the game) u cant say that "i gave money and ill kick ass with my bonus powers" the ones who paid and who didnt are equal and i love it :)

HoN looks like more pro but its nothing but a fancy looking dota copy, LoL is much more different, heroes every 2 weeks. And its getting new graphic style soon :)

Try both bro, cuz both of them are different even if they are "dota copies"

• DotA_fanDotA_fan Member Posts: 2

Aeria Games is publishing a new DotA game called Realm of the Titans. Supposed to be released to Closed Beta in May. 

• jimbo833jimbo833 Member Posts: 158

just wait for DOTA 2, no ?

and valve are making it so you know its gonig to be awesome and have tons of community stuff / different rules on different servers to change things up a little :) .

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Even though this thread is over a year old, I'm enjoying the hell out of LoL. It's nice playing a random game with someone and not having to see 12yr olds telling me or someone else on my team they suck. 

Not to mention, I threw $35 into LoL and I'm pretty much set.  I used it to buy a Pack that included alot of different champs, then I still had enough left over to buy a couple of the others I wanted that didn't come with the pack. 

Like others have said, putting money into the game doesn't mean you pwn. It really doesn't mean anything. You can buy champs with points you collect from playing, or you can speed it up by buying them with real money. The only thing that forces you to spend real money on an item, are the skins. It just sucks that most of the good skins cost around $15-20 and the crappy ones cost around $7. But, it really doesn't matter because it's just a skin and doesn't effect the way your champ plays at all, just makes him look cool. 

I really do want Dollface Teemo when he comes out though. I'm just not paying $20 to make him look like that, which I'm sure it's going to cost. Normal Teemo pwns just fine. 

The only thing I dont' like about LoL is I dont' have any friends who play. So, I'm stuck playing the random team matches. :(

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

LoL is more newb friendly but it's harder, people just think it's easier than HoN because it has a good MM system, but if you ever hit 100+ wins over loss in ladder or normal, it's not easy anymore. : /

IMO stick to LoL and DOTA, HoN would be ok if it were free(they have an item mall too lol).

You could try L.O.C.O. but the game has been broken forever(recall immunity shield anyone?).

• rkeithrkeith Member Posts: 5

HON is the best looking dota clone "as of now"

but imho DOTA warcraft is still the best for it is well balance and very fun to play unlike HON which is money grabby right now (avatars and other ****). well im looking forward to play valve DOTA 2, i hope they won't disapoint my anticipation.

• flint08flint08 Member Posts: 4

For me if you like pretty go for HON, if you like  childish animation go for LOL but if you like hardcore balanced hero smaking action go for the original warcraft DOTA. peace!

• LotusBunnyLotusBunny Member UncommonPosts: 20

It's easily Heroes of Newerth.  Nothing even comes closes.  It does have a steeper learning curve, but if you stick with it -- you'll like it.

The only bad thing about Heroes of Newerth is the community, it tends to be a bit... acidic.  But really, that comes with the territory.  In my opinion that is not so much a HoN thing as it is a DOTA thing.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Tried LOL after HON went outta beta and well.... Ended up buying HON, You pay 30 bucks but you certainly get your moneys worth with new chars rolling in all the time and imo just smoother gameplay in general.

As for the community....its pretty bad, people take there ranking pretty serious and are liable to rage at any point if you drop the ball lol...But that also points out the more competitive nature of hon that i didnt really catch playing LOL....

• MillergreyMillergrey Member Posts: 5

HON is the most almost 1:1 copy of DOTA well not the graphics but the core gameplay. and about LOL is just an anime like hero defend style game.

Does HoN have a free trial or invite codes? 

If it has an invite code, PM me with it. My chances are 50:50 if it's better than LoL, as people say.

• GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

In case it isn't staringly obvious from the above posts, HoN and LoL are very "tribal", and their various adherents have an intense dislike for the other.  Which only means, of course, that they're fairly similar.

All told, however, LoL is certainly easier to learn and more intuitive.  It was designed to be easier for non-MOBA players to pick up and learn, and has therefore accumulated a very large playerbase.  And for better or for worse, larger playerbase = more $$$ for development = a game that is likely to stick around for some time.

Any of this sound familiar?  New user-friendly version of a previously "hardcore" game system . . . lots of new users . . . lots of $$$ for development . . . animosity between the very rapidly growing new entry and the older diehard purists . . . I think we've been here before, and know how this movie ends.

That said, LoL has its strengths and weaknesses.  Its strengths are very solid support, including very serious commitment toward balance of Champions, Items, and the game in general.  The flip side of that is that Riot is very slow to release major new content (other than Champions and the occasional Item), at least in part because it does not want to upset the careful balance of the game.

• CpaulCpaul Member Posts: 11

HON is still the best, it copied almost copied DOTA core gameplay 1:1 but we'll have to wait DOTA 2 if it will live up to the hyped.

• CpaulCpaul Member Posts: 11

Sorry double post

• Lomi69Lomi69 Member Posts: 5

the WTF version.. haha

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

HoN if you want a complete DOTA rip off. LoL if you want something with more personality.

Personally I think LoL is miles ahead of HoN. I've played since beta and have yet to spend a cent. No wait, actually I recently bought some skins for 10 bucks, but they are damn awesome lol.

The only thing I don't like about these games is if you don't have a posse to play with, good luck.

Personally I would say try LoL first if only because it's free and you have nothing to lose other than time.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Gudrunix

In case it isn't staringly obvious from the above posts, HoN and LoL are very "tribal", and their various adherents have an intense dislike for the other.  Which only means, of course, that they're fairly similar.

All told, however, LoL is certainly easier to learn and more intuitive.  It was designed to be easier for non-MOBA players to pick up and learn, and has therefore accumulated a very large playerbase.  And for better or for worse, larger playerbase = more $$$ for development = a game that is likely to stick around for some time.

Any of this sound familiar?  New user-friendly version of a previously "hardcore" game system . . . lots of new users . . . lots of $$$ for development . . . animosity between the very rapidly growing new entry and the older diehard purists . . . I think we've been here before, and know how this movie ends.

That said, LoL has its strengths and weaknesses.  Its strengths are very solid support, including very serious commitment toward balance of Champions, Items, and the game in general.  The flip side of that is that Riot is very slow to release major new content (other than Champions and the occasional Item), at least in part because it does not want to upset the careful balance of the game.

They add new champions every 2-3 weeks if I'm not mistaken. That's a fairly fast pace. Most of the time new items aren't needed unless there is a balance issue at hand.

• ShawDr3wShawDr3w Member Posts: 5

League of Legends for me is a cute alternative ot DOTA unlike heroes of newerth which is to much cash items that are useless.

• KrasnijKrasnij Member Posts: 40

If you really look for an alternative to DOTA with similar playstyle and mechanics then its really either 

Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends, a new Competitor on the field would be Bloodline Champions, but i never tried it. 

I for myself got stuck with League of Legends, the vast amount of Champions with different mechanics, different runesets to customize your Avatar, which really do make a difference, and Talent trees to further customize, are what i like most. 

The negative to that all is , if youre lvl 1 , and you get matched with a lvl 30 char with full runes and masteries... you go down fast. It takes quite some time to lvl up, there are possibilites to pay cash and lvl faster, but everything besides skins (which are only cosmetic changes) can be obtained by just playing and farming points. 

Someone mentioned there is no jungling or warding in LoL, which is very untrue, warding certain areas of the map , jungling, teleports , stealth, stealth detection, and a vast amount of item builds give the game depth after all. 

Give it a try, but not only one, LoL shines at second glance. And you should avoid the european server, if possible, i tried both , and the european community  isnt as friendly as the american, and there are more leavers and trolls and feeder on purpose.. which can ruin the game and your experience. 

so have fun

best regards