Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandbox responsible

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

(This post is due to me posting about this in another topic and was told to post it here instead.)

Basically what I think would be useful is for this site to have someone that is responsible for digging out info on sandbox titles and see what is going on in this area (kinda like Aioshis Free Zone). I think this would be good as, even though there are lots of good titles coming out such as GW 2, SW:TOR, TERA etc, they are all themeparks and as such somewhat uninteresting for us who are into the old-school MMORPGs which were more sandbox oriented.

So please, some articles on sandbox titles please. Start maybe with Uncharted Waters Online which I just stumbled on by chance. Or other sandbox titles that may be in development.

Thanks

Comments

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

+1

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I'm for this but what about games that are hybrids?  Archeage is a good example of what looks to be a themepark/sandbox hybrid and right up my alley of gametype.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

good call

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yeah good diea tho they do keep an eye on upcomnig sandbox games thats for sure.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/514/feature/5013/Xsyon-Earth-2012-Prelude-A-Brave-New-World.html

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by elocke

I'm for this but what about games that are hybrids?  Archeage is a good example of what looks to be a themepark/sandbox hybrid and right up my alley of gametype.

I'm with you on that. I think it's time for the devs to stop just making one or the other. It's obvious that it is possible to give players multiple ways to enjoy the game. I enjoy sandboxes but why can't I go run a few quests and learn some lore that the devs put in the game? It just makes the world that more interesting to explore.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by Caldrin

Yeah good diea tho they do keep an eye on upcomnig sandbox games thats for sure.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/514/feature/5013/Xsyon-Earth-2012-Prelude-A-Brave-New-World.html

Exactly.

I think you are more upset that there just isn't much sandbox news in general. Unfortunately thats because there just aren't that many sandbox games. They just aren't that popular...

That is not the fault of the MMORPG staff. You can't blame them for writing their articles about games that actually exist.

Originally posted by Anubisan

Exactly.

I think you are more upset that there just isn't much sandbox news in general. Unfortunately thats because there just aren't that many sandbox games. They just aren't that popular...

That is not the fault of the MMORPG staff. You can't blame them for writing their articles about games that actually exist.

/facepalm

Originally posted by Xzen

Exactly.

/facepalm

Because what I said is so untrue? If you find my response facepalm-worthy, please enlghten me as to where are all the many AAA sandbox titles MMORPG should be writing articles about?

Exactly.

/facepalm

Because what I said is so untrue? If you find my response facepalm-worthy, please enlghten me as to where are all the many AAA sandbox titles MMORPG should be writing articles about?

They already write articles about sandbox MMOs. Or have you not seen any of the Xsyon articles? No where in the OP or your response did you mention AAA sandboxes. All the OP asked was if one of the columnists would take on the task of researching and writing up their findings on sandboxes. AAA sandbox on the horizon ArcheAge.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Well aslong as it has significant sandbox elements then it should be worth reporting about. For example Fallen Earth is a hybrid themepark/sandbox PvE game which could definetely be of interest for sandbox people.

I'm with you on that. I think it's time for the devs to stop just making one or the other. It's obvious that it is possible to give players multiple ways to enjoy the game. I enjoy sandboxes but why can't I go run a few quests and learn some lore that the devs put in the game? It just makes the world that more interesting to explore.

Just because it is sandbox does not mean it cannot have quests or lore, Darkfall is definetely sandbox and has both lore and quests.

Exactly.

/facepalm

Why does it have to be AAA title to write about it? Darkfall and MO are not and MMORPG.COM has covered those games.

And how many AAA F2P titles are there out there? Yet they have a section called Free Zone for F2Ps games.

Exactly.

/facepalm

They already write articles about sandbox MMOs. Or have you not seen any of the Xsyon articles? No where in the OP or your response did you mention AAA sandboxes. All the OP asked was if one of the columnists would take on the task of researching and writing up their findings on sandboxes. AAA sandbox on the horizon ArcheAge.

Exactly, ArcheAge is a perfect example of a sandbox title in development with no cover at all from MMORPG.COM, yet there are tons of articles about GW 2 and SW:TOR.

So all I am asking for is for someone doing some digging and come up with some articles focusing on sandbox MMORGPs.

My point is they are already writing about these games. I have seen many articles on this site about games like Darkfall, Mortal Online, Xyson, etc. I was only saying I don't really understand what you are upset about. I would even wager that most of the writers here FAVOR sanbox games and its usually quite obvious if you read their articles...

Still, there are WAY more themepark games, so I don't think it is cause for alarm that there are more articles written about them.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Archage has only just popped its head up and infact i think its still in development for the asian market and there is not a English based version of the game so there is very little MMORPG could cover other than details that are on other websites..

Archage does look interesting tho combat still does not look like good.. coming from Darkfall it would be liek a step backwards but we would have to wait and see..

AAA and sandbox usually dont go togeather as not many people liek the style of play a sandbox game usually brings.. maybe with Archage it will be different.. we can all hope :)

Archage has only just popped its head up and infact i think its still in development for the asian market and there is not a English based version of the game so there is very little MMORPG could cover other than details that are on other websites..

Archage does look interesting tho combat still does not look like good.. coming from Darkfall it would be liek a step backwards but we would have to wait and see..

AAA and sandbox usually dont go togeather as not many people liek the style of play a sandbox game usually brings.. maybe with Archage it will be different.. we can all hope :)

Yeah the combat looks a lot like the normal stuff we see right now. They do have an english part of their website for the game though with some information.

http://www.archeage.com/en/contents/gameIntros

I'm also sure this company has some sort of PR department that they could contact to work out a short interview?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Reasons seem simple to me:

1. There have been a lot more AAA themepark titles than AAA sandbox titles, so if you want to grunt and complain, don't complain about mmorpg.com but about the MMO market.

2. I think sandbox titles are certainly not being ignored, look at Earthrise or the sizeable attention that an indie dev tam as for Xsyon got (didn't see any exposure for LOVE, another indie title, still Xsyon got it). I learnt about Perpetuum Online, Earthrise and Xsyon here, in articles and news items here on mmorpg.com

3. If you find news items about ArcheAge, you should post them. If ArcheAge should get more attention, then also a lot of other Asian titles, not only the sandbox ones, there are a lot of great or interesting Asian MMO games.

I do think that ArcheAge should get its own forums here already, though.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I would consider that a sandbox, since that would be its distinctive selling point from the WoW clones (or what sets it apart)

I am really curious to see how popular a section of the forum dedicated to sandboxes would be

Maybe not very popular but why not trying? We might be surprised.

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Reasons seem simple to me:

1. There have been a lot more AAA themepark titles than AAA sandbox titles, so if you want to grunt and complain, don't complain about mmorpg.com but about the MMO market.

2. I think sandbox titles are certainly not being ignored, look at Earthrise or the sizeable attention that an indie dev tam as for Xsyon got (didn't see any exposure for LOVE, another indie title, still Xsyon got it). I learnt about Perpetuum Online, Earthrise and Xsyon here, in articles and news items here on mmorpg.com

3. If you find news items about ArcheAge, you should post them. If ArcheAge should get more attention, then also a lot of other Asian titles, not only the sandbox ones, there are a lot of great or interesting Asian MMO games.

I do think that ArcheAge should get its own forums here already, though.

I don't think anyone is complaining. Just a suggestion to the writers asking for maybe a monthly article with news regarding some sandbox mmos that are in the works. I don't think it's a bad suggestion. I don't know why anyone would be opposed to the idea.

I wasn't disagreeing with more information added  about more MMORPG's like sandbox oriented ones, I was disagreeing with the idea that mmorpg.com writers are treating sandbox titles as the ugly stepchild and ignoring them while biasedly favoring themepark MMO's, as the OP seemed to think according to several of his posts.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Exactly.

For years mmorpg.com are themepark fans they always write or review good about themeparks well most of them anyway and a  few articles or reviews about sandbox are mainly below avarage and harshly judge or put down and even a review well some them they still mentioned a comparison or refer to themepark while its a sandbox game.

I dont say this site is bad at least we have something to talk about and sandbox news and new games plus forums have home here but many visititors over years who post here most are in favor of sandbox but mmorpg.com staff is in favor of themeaparks:(

At least some should also be sandbox lovers and write nice articles about sandbox.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Originally posted by Evasia

For years mmorpg.com are themepark fans they always write or review good about themeparks well most of them anyway and a  few articles or reviews about sandbox are mainly below avarage and harshly judge or put down and even a review well some them they still mentioned a comparison or refer to themepark while its a sandbox game.

That's because sandbox titles that came out have been few and mostly shit at their launch, or far too buggy, while a lot of high-production-quality MMO's that weren't sandbox have been produced.

The fact that an indie game like Xsyon, that is far, far from an AAA level of production, has a lot of launch problems and doesn't even have half of its announced features implemented yet, still gets a highly positive preview and 2 thumbs up recommendation should say enough about their not favoring themepark MMO's above sandbox MMO's.

Me thinks that those convinced that sandbox titles are discriminated upon and that the mmorpg.com team is biased towards themepark MMO's, suffer from being biased themselves.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

That's because sandbox titles that came out have been few and mostly shit at their launch, or far too buggy, while a lot of high-production-quality MMO's that weren't sandbox have been produced.

The fact that an indie game like Xsyon, that is far, far from an AAA level of production, has a lot of launch problems and doesn't even have half of its announced features implemented yet, still gets a highly positive preview and 2 thumbs up recommendation should say enough about their not favoring themepark MMO's above sandbox MMO's.

Me thinks that those convinced that sandbox titles are discriminated upon and that the mmorpg.com team is biased towards themepark MMO's, suffer from being biased themselves.

+1

This whole "us vs them" thing between sandboxers and themeparkers is so played out. I've played MMO's and MUDs for YEARS and I don't feel like it has to be one or the other. I like sandbox features just as much as the next "vet" but I'm also realistic to the fact that there simply isn't as much to write about because the options are few and far inbetween.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Exactly.

I dont say this site is bad at least we have something to talk about and sandbox news and new games plus forums have home here but many visititors over years who post here most are in favor of sandbox but mmorpg.com staff is in favor of themeaparks:(

At least some should also be sandbox lovers and write nice articles about sandbox.

What you're not understanding is that the said 'sandbox lover' would be out of things to write about maybe 2 weeks into his position.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't see why not. If of course they can find the right person to write it.

The more it is here to read the better. :)