Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saga of Ryzom Rating!

i thing that the SoR high Rating is From a single guys who have create like 20 Account and Rate 10 to it!

or maybe im wrong ::::05:: Who Know ::::01::

Comments

• crightoncrighton Member UncommonPosts: 48

I think you're wrong ::::20::

• NoubourneNoubourne Member Posts: 349

The ratings are NOT weighted based on number of votes, so they're a bit off.

Habit is not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed down the stairs one step at a time. - Mark Twain

• well. All of the Good Rating ( well not all) is From account with 1 post 2 Big Max!

• vqlyvqly Member UncommonPosts: 296

I have a feeling that it's because there are more people giving it great reviews as oppose to giving it bad reviews ::::36::

It is still a pretty unknown game, but the community support for it is really great, and all agree that it's 10/10 for a lot of the things in the review, such as graphic, community, and customer support.

It *is* a niche game, however. Not a mainstream game like WoW or EQ. It's not easy to get into, and definetly not for everybody. It takes a while for it to grow on you.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    It is a combination of factors that have been mentioned.  Its system for rating games of course skews the ratings.  Most people do not bother with this game so it isn't rated too often.  Then if you haven't noticed mmorpg.com was mentioned on some SOR forums and their fans came here to try to get people to play the game.  Of course they all decided to create an account and rate it high. 
  • KibsKibs Member Posts: 411
    Personally I love SoR, its a well deserved place for a well made game in my opinion.  It has as much right to be up there as the other games, the community and support team are top rate, as are the graphics, gameplay, storyline, sound isnt bad.  Overall I can see Ryzom being a serious competitor when the outposts and Ryzom ring is introduced

-----------------

Kibs

Playing: The Saga of Ryzom since march 2004

• mmattommatto Member Posts: 135

I guess there is more logical explanation.

First of all, total votes is not that much so the Ryzom rating is more mobile than for big mainstream games.

Secondly, I guess that average Ryzom player did not know about or did not frequent this site (I did not). When Ryzom made to top list that was mentioned in Ryzom forums and that drew some attention to this site and many Ryzom players registered and some voted with their honest opinion about game.

I guess that half of those who registered did not realize how to gain personal rating to be able to vote.

To be honest, the original score was not fair to Ryzom at all. I guess it was based on votes during and after betas. There was some kind of big nerf bat swinging during beta (comparable to SWG CU) and many pissed of players gave their vote at that time. But this was just my speculation.

About powerleveling rating, one guy mentioned having 2 accounts so he can give 2 ratings. He got flamed on Ryzom forums for that and he decided to give up that idea.

And for every guy that might give inflated rating for beloved game, i suspect that there is other one who gives an all zero rating for Ryzom. So it evens out :)

My rating was 8.8 for Ryzom.

BTW is every vote equal or does user rating has something to do with it?

• JimiKJimiK Member UncommonPosts: 22

After playing this game for a few days on the newbie island, I thought noone was playing it cuz the place was almost deserted.
    Then I stepped into the teleporter to go to the mainland and a whole new world opened up to me with a community of mature, fun and friendly players and some of the best support Ive ever seen (nice and fast response every time with an actual solution to the problem - wich imo is rare).

Im not going into the graphic of the game more then to say its amazing.
    There are parts missing from the game as in any other game I ever played - some big some small, but in all its nothing that really bothers me.
    After 4 months of playing Im nowhere near to having explored all the lands and believe me - I tried hard to see all of it... the place is Huuuuuge.

To anyone who wants to try this game out Id like to say: Skip the noob island and go straight for the teleport to main - everything you need is there, and you get help from the very friendly players to get started =)
    Try it out - you wont regret it (unless you are a bughunter who only enjoys shooting holes in every game they can get their hands on) - the game is not perfect, but then again what is?

Enjoy the free 2 week trial

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by JimiK
    After playing this game for a few days on the newbie island, I thought noone was playing it cuz the place was almost deserted.
    Then I stepped into the teleporter to go to the mainland and a whole new world opened up to me with a community of mature, fun and friendly players and some of the best support Ive ever seen (nice and fast response every time with an actual solution to the problem - wich imo is rare).Im not going into the graphic of the game more then to say its amazing.
    There are parts missing from the game as in any other game I ever played - some big some small, but in all its nothing that really bothers me.
    After 4 months of playing Im nowhere near to having explored all the lands and believe me - I tried hard to see all of it... the place is Huuuuuge.To anyone who wants to try this game out Id like to say: Skip the noob island and go straight for the teleport to main - everything you need is there, and you get help from the very friendly players to get started =)
    Try it out - you wont regret it (unless you are a bughunter who only enjoys shooting holes in every game they can get their hands on) - the game is not perfect, but then again what is?Enjoy the free 2 week trial

JimiK speaks the truth!

• mandaymanday Member Posts: 291

User rating has something to do with it I believe. Maybe it's just that you can't vote until you have a certain rating, but it could also mean your vote means more if you have better rating? I know the first part is true, not sure about second part.

Anyways. SoR is a cute game, pretty complex skill system for both tradeskills AND combat (one is NOT favoured over the other, it's amazing!) Personally, I had a hard time getting into it, but that's the kind of thing that keeps me interested.

The community, or at least what I saw of it, was amazing. There was no leet speak. There was no arguing in the area chat or general chat. I was a total newb, had no idea what I was doing, and people actually helped me out with the interface (it was kind of confusing when I played, it might have been changed since), and helped me figure out which weapons/armour I could use.

The mobs were all pretty original looking. Pretty sci-fi-ish. Not fight rats till lvl 5, then cows till 10, then bears till 15 kinda thing. Fights are by trial and error. The environments are original, and very pretty. Exploring (through non-aggro areas of course :[ ), is interesting. Some mobs will even come up to sniff you or check you out, without attacking you.

I'm actually thinking of playing again :S

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    /cheer for Ryzom! Nice when something original and a bit different gets kudos from this siteimage

• mcr525mcr525 Member Posts: 117

Great game!

• JimiKJimiK Member UncommonPosts: 22

Manday - you should really get back on =) alot of old ppl returning it seems and lately Ive seen an increase in new ppl too. Get on Ryzom and have a great time with us =D

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

I agree that the rating is probably merited. I played it for about six months and liked a lot of what it offered. I left because the combat really wasn't to my taste, but I can certainly see why it has a loyal following. I'll probably rate it in the 7s when I get around to it. My own peronal preference aside, it's good at what it does. There's more freedom to develop your character in Ryzom than in anything I've ever seen; the modular action system is just unbelievable. If nothing else, small companies trying to step outside the status quo should be applauded for trying to be different rather than getting penalized for it. I hope Nevrax does well.

• MrOzzyMrOzzy Member Posts: 5

Its not a big budget game like most of the mmo's released in the last year (I believe it was €8 million for the development and another €4 million for the (closed) beta - wich lasted about 10 months). But since its not that of a big risk, Nevrax could try-out new things, and somehow all these new ideas made a very interesting game. The skill system, the AI, the gfx, the story, ... all these things are pretty unique if you compare them to othe mmo's. With the announcement of Ryzom ring on E3, things are shaken up even more.

But, also due the above reasons, Ryzom is more of a niche game. Its aimed at more adult players (lets say like 10-15 years older then the average WoW and/or GW player). The current rating of Ryzom seems a fair one, since it does exactly bring the product that the niche the game is made for wants.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

Personally, I think it's over-rated.  It's a pvm game without dungeons.  ????  I feel it's a step back in mmorpgs.

I also could care less about the community.  While I do like mature communities, my main concern is the game:  lots of varied content, dungeons, city seige (if they go for that), crafting, player vendors, housing.  I don't play games to chat.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• vqlyvqly Member UncommonPosts: 296

Originally posted by nethervoid
    Personally, I think it's over-rated.  It's a pvm game without dungeons.  ????  I feel it's a step back in mmorpgs.
    I also could care less about the community.  While I do like mature communities, my main concern is the game:  lots of varied content, dungeons, city seige (if they go for that), crafting, player vendors, housing.  I don't play games to chat.

I think the only thing missin gfrom that list is instanced dungeons. But they are going to make that player-made "dungeons" in the next expansion. We'll just have to see how that goes. ::::31::

But seriously, if you like gw kinda game, go play gw. I like gw too. But I also like Ryzom. Two very different games. I play whatver I am in the mood for. But I don't go bash GW because it has this or don't have that.

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

Dungeons are complete cheese.

Ryzom thinks outside of the box.

• crightoncrighton Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by nethervoid
    Personally, I think it's over-rated. It's a pvm game without dungeons. ???? I feel it's a step back in mmorpgs.
    I also could care less about the community. While I do like mature communities, my main concern is the game: lots of varied content, dungeons, city seige (if they go for that), crafting, player vendors, housing. I don't play games to chat.

Whats the use of dungeons anyway in ryzom, it wouldn't fit in. Atm The bosses and named mobs walk around atys like real wild life, they move to other areas if season changes. If we would put them in "Dungeons" it would take away the fun, beside i'm happy that ryzom doens't have dungeons keeps the kids in WoW . We have some sort of dungeons anyway called the prime roots, maybe a bit to big compared to an average "dungeon". Try to cross it on your own or in a team sometime if you're up for a challenge ::::02::

cheers::::28::